OME Suspension question (shocks) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 4Runner that I'm building into a mild wheeler/clean driver so to speak. I'm going to order my lift in the next few weeks. It is no doubt going to be the heavy OME's. My question is shocks! Buy the shocks with the kit, or without? I've read to use different shocks such as Bilsteins, others are happy with the OME's that come with the leaf springs. According to OME, the shocks are tuned for their springs. What your thoughts and what are you OME suspension owners running for shocks?

I'm only going to run a 33" tire max, possibly a 32", so this lift seems to be the one that fits my needs as I want a quality, bolt in and want to avoid fab work if at all possible. Thanks for the help!

I did the opposite: OME springs, Bilstein shocks (5100's). Really like the setup.

So how's that for clarifying your choice? :)

OME shocks on both my rigs
Like em just fine

Score:

OME 2

BILSTEIN 1

OME has good shocks.

I've read that the OME shocks don't have enough travel to let the suspension droop as much as it can, and that longer Bilstiens can be a remedy for this...I do not know this first hand however...

I've read that the OME shocks don't have enough travel to let the suspension droop as much as it can, and that longer Bilstiens can be a remedy for this...I do not know this first hand however...

I've heard this as well, and it's less of a concern to me personally because I'm a light wheeler (actually no wheeler until I replace my front DS), so axle droop is not as important. Were I into more sever use and crawling, then, definitely, but as a brush-beating game-chaser and trailfinder, Old Man Emu's shocks are fine.

That's about the level I expect to be playing at as well, but, I want the most out of what I put under my truck. If shocks of some specific length get me that, that's better for me.

That's about the level I expect to be playing at as well, but, I want the most out of what I put under my truck. If shocks of some specific length get me that, that's better for me.

Go where your nose points you, but I would just as soon invest in something affordable for now, before hanging my hat on something incrementally better.

I don't expect the price of "this shock or that shock" to be a deal breaker...

at 12 bucks and hour, plus 12 units a semester - price is a colossal dealbreaker for me.

that's why my 40 is parked, and my RN38 is my DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom