OME suspension kits 2" lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a comparison on full spring kits comparing ride quality for the OME light, medium an heavy duty version of their suspension kits? Is the light version too light when loaded for camping? is the medium perfect or the heavy duty version about right.
90% of my driving is without any additional weight, except ARB bumpers.

without providing my nonsense and only my experience, I'd give the folks at @cruiseroutfit a jingle. they will guide you in the absolute right direction.

on a related note...to really know what you're up against, you might want to load it like the DD then weigh it at a truck stop front and rear axle weight is best. then, load it for camping...repeat. that will get you some hard data on what will work best for you.

I started with heavy in the rear (2014) and the ride was great. I did the add-a-leaf later on (2020) but I'm thinking to add airbags now. I also add 38 gallon fuel tank, heavy-assed rear tire on the swing out. If you start with heavy or extra heavy, you can pull a leaf or two until you need them. I don't believe the ride will be much better if at all by going medium in the rear.
I went medium in the front and it has settled quite a bit since 2014. I'll put in AAL's when I add the winch. It still rides great off-road loaded or not, but I air down to keep it pleasant.

The spring ratings are not about ride quality, although choosing the wrong combination certainly has an impact on that. Rather you select springs based on your load needs, light, medium, heavy, etc. Shocks are then matched to those same load needs and springs.

A super loaded 60 on light springs is going to ride/comply poorly, a super spartan/light 60 is going to ride poorly on heavy load suspension. It's very important to tailor to your exact needs. Give us a call @ Cruiser Outfitters if you'd like to order an Old Man Emu kit and we'll setup a kit for your exact wants/needs.

The shocks are more important than the springs if you have the right springs for your weight.

I run 005 heavy duty OME springs with bilstein shocks. It’s nice. I’ve driven the same springs with OME shocks and it was terrible.

The shocks are more important than the springs if you have the right springs for your weight.

I run 005 heavy duty OME springs with bilstein shocks. It’s nice. I’ve driven the same springs with OME shocks and it was terrible.

All depends on the setup. I have OME shocks on my heavy load 5F/5R 60, love the ride/compliance. I have Bilstein on my OME 40. Love them both.

I think that’s why people should always buy springs from a vendor like you who actually knows what combinations work.

The point to my post was , I think my springs in the rear are (A) worn out (B) not heavy enough. I recently made an instantaneous evasive maneuver while exiting a blind corner to avoid a turtle . I felt the rear dive deeper than expected and had me chasing the truck. All at about 35 MPH. With my limited knowledge I feel the rear springs are weak and I'm one of those guys that will change them all.

The point to my post was , I think my springs in the rear are (A) worn out (B) not heavy enough. I recently made an instantaneous evasive maneuver while exiting a blind corner to avoid a turtle . I felt the rear dive deeper than expected and had me chasing the truck. All at about 35 MPH. With my limited knowledge I feel the rear springs are weak and I'm one of those guys that will change them all.
Are you sure it wasn't just more body roll than you are used to on a modern vehicle?

The body roll on a 60 is enough to make your heart skip a beat 😄. The OME's flex amazingly well. I have never had it on two wheels yet, I swear! I have had one wheel off the ground before, but I was crawling.
You might check to see if you are missing a bump-stop.

Alex and I were talking about this yesterday. Idk your truck setup. Your springs could be worn, but a 60 has a bit of body roll since it doesn't have a rear sway bar.

***Update***** Pretty much operator error or I'ma dumass error. I had a no start issue with my Sniper and crawled under the truck to check if the pump was running. Negative ghost rider no pump. While under the truck I noticed one of my shocks was off the mount, no bolt to hold it on? Well there is your problem. ordering new bolt, found the relay to the sniper was not seated. Plugged it in properly and all is well.

***Update***** Pretty much operator error or I'ma dumass error. I had a no start issue with my Sniper and crawled under the truck to check if the pump was running. Negative ghost rider no pump. While under the truck I noticed one of my shocks was off the mount, no bolt to hold it on? Well there is your problem. ordering new bolt, found the relay to the sniper was not seated. Plugged it in properly and all is well.
Yep, a disconnected shock would explain it. I'm about to ad a switch to that relay for added theft insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom