OME suspension CLUNK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the clunks. When I round a corner the new OME heavy suspension is clunking in the rear. I used the OME bushings and shackles. What is the remedy for the clunks. I havent retorqued since install, could that be the issue?

did you use greasable shackles? Mine did the same new. i put a few squirts of grease in mine a couple of times and once the suspension settled it went away. It lasted a week or 2 and about 200 miles

did you use greasable shackles? Mine did the same new. i put a few squirts of grease in mine a couple of times and once the suspension settled it went away. It lasted a week or 2 and about 200 miles

Yes I did get the greasable shackles. I'll squirt some grease in and see if that helps. I've only put about 150 miles on the suspension, so maybe it needs a few more miles to get settled.

Did you hook up your factory sway bars? Mine have clunked for years .I just don't pay attention anymore .

Did you hook up your factory sway bars? Mine have clunked for years .I just don't pay attention anymore .

Yes I left the factory sway bars installed. Why would the OME cause them to start clunking?

I've posted this before and will again. I cured the popping by changing the greasable bolts to the slotted style from the OME style and it's been quiet ever since.

You said you've retorqued your ubolts, but keep an eye on that as well.

Front Range's solution might be worth a look. Where can the slotted pins be found?

Out of curiosity, have you checked to make sure the sleeve inserts in the spring eyes aren't sliding?

I just put im CS005's Plus 1 DXL2 Leaf in the back and now I have the Knunks too... I'll try to grease everyhing up and post a pic.

Mark

How do I check to see if there sliding is it visible without pulling the spring off?

You should be able to see that the spring eye is not centered in the shackle or hanger. Might not be easy to see with fresh bushings though, my cheapo bushing were worn to &$%$ making it easy to see.

Rock Doc did you end up putting the sleaves in a vice to make them stop shifting?

I think I tried to squish them a bit, but but they are tough and I didn't have a vice, so that didn't work. I ended up cleaning and roughing up both surfaces (outside sleeve and inside spring eye) and epoxying them in place. By the time I got around to fixing it, the inserts could easily be removed and inserted by hand. So far it's holding up. :)

Chris -
Did you have to replace your complete shackles or just the bolts?

Just the bolts Steve. The OME have a small hole to grease the bushing, 4+ is slotted and greases the entire length. I had the clunking, popping, noisy springs and once I replaced the bolts all noise vanished.

I met another 60 owner the other day and he really liked my sunroof so I gave him your name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom