OME steering stabilizer vs aftermarket with 35" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read through several posts about people that want to stick with OEM because it was designed for the 80 series. However, that OEM stabilizer was designed for 31" tires. What is the consensus about continuing to use the OEM steering stabilizer with much heavier beefier 35" Toyo Open country tires?

Agreed. When they are toast or broken it kind of sux a bit but I'd wager a working oem unit would be fine with 44's as long as all else is dialed in. I think people jump on it as an easy fix / bandaid but is probably the actual issue ~5% of the time.

Agreed. When they are toast or broken it kind of sux a bit but I'd wager a working oem unit would be fine with 44's as long as all else is dialed in. I think people jump on it as an easy fix / bandaid but is probably the actual issue ~5% of the time.

I'm not looking at replacing it to fix a problem, the stabilizer is dead and I have to replace it with something. I'm debating should I replace it with a stabilizer that is a little heavier duty for the larger heavier tires, or replace with the stock OEM that was really designed for 31" tires in mind?

I guess we're just saying that an additional 2" of tire radius would be unnoticed by the stock unit. Plus they have a rep. For making it several hundred thousand miles. That said I bet anything you put on there will be fine. You can spend $400 on a fancy dobinson one if it floats your boat. They look cool. 🤷

I’ve put the OME units on trucks and they’ve worked alright, while other OMEs have failed within a couple years. A few guys out here are also running Rancho stabilizers with good results.

The best bang for the buck I’ve found is the Monroe from rockauto. Have a few trucks running 37s with those and no issues.

just get the OME unit and be done with it. Works with my 40's just fine.

I ran wide 37's for a couple years with any stabilizer. No issue at all. It is a nice to have, not a need to have IMO.

I took off my OEM at 275K miles and it was still in good shape. I replaced it with OME because it came with my suspension kit.

If I need to replace the damper in the future, it will be with OEM, as they last longer then the aftermarket units.

I still have the original OEM stabalizer on my 80. It has had a long lift with 33's 35's and now 37's. I agree with others, if the front end is set up correctly the stabalizer isn't a big requirement. I've run mine without for a bit just to see how it was working and everything felt great.

So the stock stabalizer is fine if you have one in good condition. If you need to replace it, obviously a stock one will do, the OME one is good too. As for aftermarket ones, the top of the pyramid currently is the one from Dobinsons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom