OME shock replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Removed the 2.5" OME lift with probably 6k on them (medium shocks and spring) and upgraded to the 41mm Tough Dog foam shocks, with constant springs that ended up at about a 3" lift. Also installed the Adjustable Steering damper which I love. (very noticeable when on the trail)

I'd say what I noticed first is that my rig feels more responsive, and does NOT sag at all when loaded for a week in the backcountry with the family. Secondarily, I was expecting to get beat up when driving around town with the heavy constant springs however this is not the case.

Ride is smooth, the 3" lift is perfect for what I need, the steering stabilizer is amazing and I can't see myself using any other suspension in the future. Not to mention I'd like to try and see any other company give you the customer service that @reevesci gives his customers. You have a question, he'll give you his honest opinion, provide suggestions, and point you in the right direction. You need something welded or one-off fabbed, there is no one better, period.

There are very few people that provide the level of service, and quality products that J- provides. I have no doubt that if he thought there was a better product for one of his customers he would point them in that direction rather than trying to sell someone something they don't need.

In short, Trail Tailor will NOT steer you wrong (no pun intended) and I can't say enough about my dual swing-out rear bumper, tailgate storage, TD suspension, LED-lightbar, or my iPhone charger ; )

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Removed the 2.5" OME lift with probably 6k on them (medium shocks and spring) and upgraded to the 41mm Tough Dog foam shocks, with constant springs that ended up at about a 3" lift. Also installed the Adjustable Steering damper which I love. (very noticeable when on the trail)

I'd say what I noticed first is that my rig feels more responsive, and does NOT sag at all when loaded for a week in the backcountry with the family. Secondarily, I was expecting to get beat up when driving around town with the heavy constant springs however this is not the case.

Ride is smooth, the 3" lift is perfect for what I need, the steering stabilizer is amazing and I can't see myself using any other suspension in the future. Not to mention I'd like to try and see any other company give you the customer service that @reevesci gives his customers. You have a question, he'll give you his honest opinion, provide suggestions, and point you in the right direction. You need something welded or one-off fabbed, there is no one better, period.

There are very few people that provide the level of service, and quality products that J- provides. I have no doubt that if he thought there was a better product for one of his customers he would point them in that direction rather than trying to sell someone something they don't need.

In short, Trail Tailor will NOT steer you wrong (no pun intended) and I can't say enough about my rear bumper, tailgate storage, TD suspension, LED-lightbar, or my iPhone charger ; )

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, I'm happy to answer any questions.

I will second Jason’s service. Dude is one of the best guys I’ve ever met. I had an idea for my roof rack and he nailed it. He didn’t make sliders for 80s so I stopped on the way back from LA when I picked it up and he finished them up and took some measurements so the rest of you fools could have some. Then there is the vinyl flooring that I love. Oh, and the dual swing out rear.

My suspension is the 2” version and With 41mm foam cells and the non adjustable damper. I’m not hardcore like some. I may swap the damper to my son’s rig and keep the adjustable for me. Just because.

And he hookedy son and I up with his trout honey hole and gave my son a hand made, kick a$$ knife. And he always answers his phone or returns texts.

Hi Guys,

So awhile back I went with a complete J series spring and L shock setup from old man emu. The truck rides fairly harsh and I have wanted to have a softer ride for road travel on the freeway during long trips. I recently swapped to the tourflex 3 inch springs from trail tailor and did notice an improvement on the ride and especially with the side sway of the truck over bumps.

I am now thinking of swapping out the shocks to see if that helps and wanted opinions from others whom have moved from OME shocks to others. I don't have the budget to spend the money on very expensive shocks $1000 + so the choices need to be limited to the standard bolt on type such as cell foam, gas, etc.

I have been told by Jason at trail tailor that swapping the OME with tuff dog foam cell shocks will help soften the ride. Any opinions from others moving from OME to tuff dog cell foam appreciated.

In summary I am looking for options and opinions to get a softer ride by swapping my shocks out for something else in a similar price range. I am ok spending a little more.

Noah

@reevesci
I went from OME with less that 10k on them to the tough dog foamcells. I’m in a 100 series loaded and lifted. I did the rears 1st and was really drawn to the adjustable feature. I’ve had the rear for 3000 miles and I was shocked at how adjusting the rear made the whole truck hang in the turns. In addition it removed what I can only describe as some harshness from the rear that was felt in front when hitting bumps. That was just foam cells added to the rear, increased softness and cornered better. (Plus adjustable)

Two weeks and 400 miles ago I added the front Tough Dog foam cells. This took the the harsh edge remain in the front ifs suspension away. The net resolution of that is felt in the reduction of bumps small to large. In addition, the steering feel during a carved turn is that it seems to be lighter and able to adjust your line thought out.

I don’t know how a shock does that but I swear it seems to do that. I have ridden and raced road bicycles for 30 years and am used feeling subtle differences on wheels and ride.

In short, Trail Tailor will NOT steer you wrong (no pun intended) and I can't say enough about my dual swing-out rear bumper, tailgate storage, TD suspension, LED-lightbar, or my iPhone charger ; )

any photos of your rig with this 3' lift im looking to go a similar route.

B,

The 4" TD foam cells measure out at:

Front- 17.00" to 27.50"
Rear- 17.50" to 27.50"

I can get shocks for up to 6" lifts.

J

Can you post the lengths for the 6" TD foam cells?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom