OME Nitrocharger Sport vs. BP-51 (on an 80) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Friends -

I've got a nice low-mileage LX450 at Slee right now getting some work done. It's got an OME 2.5" lift (couple yrs old). Talking with the guys there, considering upgrading to the BP-51. Supposedly it's "incredible" but worried about it being (a) too soft and loosing that "truck" feel or (b) simply not being worth the $2,800 upgrade.

What do you guys think?

OME BP-51 -- vs -- OME Nitrocharger Sport (standard shock).

Humbly yours,
- Spencer

I personally can't imagine dropping $3k on shocks considering what else can be done for the money. I'm sure they are nice, but I have a hard time believing they are $2000 nicer to have than mine. They would have to massage my balls to justify that. 🤷

I run Nitro Sports up front on my OME stock coils. They are harsh, especially at first. I can put up with such a break-in period if they are $2500 cheaper than the alternative.

thanks for the thoughts guys.

Don't really care so much about the BP-51's adjustability. Can anyone who's owned both speak to the overall feel differences? Is the BP-51 that much better?

I've heard great things about fox shocks (non adjustable)

Personally I've had adjustable shocks, king triple bypass shocks...they were a lot of work to get dialed in, once they were dialed in then it was a matter of "it's set and no need to adjust" it's nice when they are dialed in but it was a pain to do so, required a pro suspension tuner.

I wouldn't go that route in my 80 as I'd rather get the best shocks that aren't complicated otherwise anytime I hit a bump my brain will say "I should adjust that" oppose to hitting a bump and without the adjustment it says "oh I thought that was gonna be worse"

....maybe that helps....

thanks for the thoughts guys.

Don't really care so much about the BP-51's adjustability. Can anyone who's owned both speak to the overall feel differences? Is the BP-51 that much better?

Short answer, they are that much better.

I had two sets of nitrocharger shocks over the course of ten years (both old and new style) and then upgraded to BP-51's last year. I've run probably 6-8 OME lifts on various vehicles and have been a huge fan of them all, but the BP-51s are a night and day difference if you put a lot of miles on your truck. Most importantly, it went from being my wife's least favorite vehicle to road trip in and is now her preferred choice.

I used to be a "what's the point of $2,500+ shocks" person like many who have already posted. I would be willing to bet that all of those people, myself included before now, have never run a setup with premium shocks before. At the end of the day, it depends on your use case. If my truck was a dedicated trail rig, it would still be on nitrochargers, but my truck is my DD and sees several 13hr+ drives to Vermont each year, where it then is used and abused on the trails. That's where the adjustability starts to shine 👍

I think the adjustability is the primary selling point though.

I don't believe its the primary selling point, most users just set and forget. It is a really nice feature to have though if you use your truck for various purposes with varying loads. For example, we do 30hrs+ of driving over the holidays each year with a full loaded roof cargo box. Driving with all that weight on the roof sucks, and reminds me of every reason I sold my RTT. However, being able stiffen up the rear BP-51s to better handle the high load in corners really made the drive enjoyable this year.

Thanks guys -- wanted to express my gratitude for all the solid advice.

The truck already has a standard 2.5" OME on there, so for the $3k I'm going to leave it for the time being. Definitely eyeing the BP-51 though for a future round of upgrades.

Best,
- Spencer

I'm currently running the OME Factory Height suspension set up, with OEM Tokico Shocks. The ride is nice except for when I hit potholes. With 861 and 862 springs, would BP-51s fit? This is a road trip vehicle mostly with very moderate off road usage involved.

What is the recommended rebuild mileage cycle or timeframe?

Who is authorized to rebuild the BP51s here in the States?

Many thanks.

There's a lot of people that think they don't do any rock crawling so they don't need high end shocks.

High end shocks will arguably show their benefits more on the road and in mild offroading. Any cheap shock will do fine during slow rock crawling. Road potholes, washboard dirt roads, the unexpected ditch on a high speed dirt road, are all places you'll see the benefit of a good high end shock. The comfort and difference in ride quality is significant.

I've been driving an 80 for almost 25 years and for much of that time I felt that there were much better places to spend money than on expensive suspension parts when the simple no-nonsense shocks I had worked just fine. I was able to drive the same roads that anyone else was so my suspension wasn't holding me back. If I had to slow down a bit on really bumpy sections it was not big deal right?
I put a high end suspension on my 80 about 6 years ago and I now feel like it's one of the best places things to spend money on if you want to enjoy driving your 80. I've always enjoyed driving an 80, even when it was just a simple 2" OME lift but my enjoyment completely changed when I upgraded the suspension. It was like driving a completely different vehicle and made me want to get out in it more often.

If you do longer drives in your 80 (on road or off), getting to your destination and not feeling worn out is awesome. When I had my basic OME suspension I didn't ever *think* I felt worn out when I got to where I was going. But doing the same drive later with high end suspension I realized just how much better I felt when I got there. The more basic suspension was definitely making me more tired by the end of a drive.

Additionally, a good suspension puts less strain on the rest of the vehicle. One example from a trip a few years ago. We had a dozen or so trucks in the group, most of them with high end suspension and a few that had more basic kits that are popular. None of the offroading we did was particularly difficult, it was nearly all just graded dirt roads. But the roads had sections of washboard and bumpy rocks stretches but nothing that required low range. The basic kits on the trip all experienced some kind of suspension failure. Shocks with blown out seals, radius arm brackets that were tearing off the axle. None of the vehicles with the higher end setups experienced any such failures.

Anyway, just a few thought from someone that didn't see the point in spending money on "fancy" suspension but is now a total convert.

If you do longer drives in your 80 (on road or off), getting to your destination and not feeling worn out is awesome.

Anyway, just a few thought from someone that didn't see the point in spending money on "fancy" suspension but is now a total convert.

I totally agree akin to someone saying how good their 80 drives with 0 or even negative caster post lift. You don't know what you don't know.

Though not new to the race/adjustable shocks scene, I've only experienced my 80 with the basic OME Nitrochargers and am finally ready to move up the chain with the BP-51s matched to the same OME medium springs. I look forward to a smoother, better dampened ride.

I totally agree akin to someone saying how good their 80 drives with 0 or even negative caster post lift. You don't know what you don't know.

Though not new to the race/adjustable shocks scene, I've only experienced my 80 with the basic OME Nitrochargers and am finally ready to move up the chain with the BP-51s matched to the same OME medium springs. I look forward to a smoother, better dampened ride.
Don't be surprised by the need to make adjustments to get the shocks to your liking. The first drive with new high-end shocks can be a bit disappointing when the expectation is high. Once you get them tuned how you want them you'll be very happy. Kurt and crew at Cruiser Outfitters will take good care of you. It's been really nice to have them so close over the years. I've known Kurt for over 20 years now and he takes care of customers as well as anyone I've ever encountered.

Don't be surprised by the need to make adjustments to get the shocks to your liking. The first drive with new high-end shocks can be a bit disappointing when the expectation is high. Once you get them tuned how you want them you'll be very happy. Kurt and crew at Cruiser Outfitters will take good care of you. It's been really nice to have them so close over the years. I've known Kurt for over 20 years now and he takes care of customers as well as anyone I've ever encountered.

Kurt is one of my YouTube celebs. ✌🏼

Update:

4YR/50K miles logged on the OME Nitrochargers + medium OME springs with 700 of these piled on in a one day bomb NE from SoCal to Salt Lake City.

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 5.44.26 PM.png

I bought and installed the OME BP-51s at Cruiser Outfitters. Thanks for the t-shirt. SLC is beautiful.

5943CF8F-483C-49B4-8515-F4BCBDC1E460.jpeg

My $.50 (reused the medium springs; only mod on my 80 is 37x12.5r17 tires)
  • The move from Nitrocharger to the BP-51s is in my top 3 fav functional "mods" list next to all new OEM suspension rubbers and new OEM power steering gear box
  • While the 80 is the oldest vehicle I've ever owned, it's now become the most comfortably suspension'ed vehicle I've ever owned (did not expect this)
  • The best I can explain the change in feel is lying prostrate on a Motel 6 bed (doable) to now relaxing on a Tempu-Pedic mattress with Sleep Number
I could tell within 5 yards of driving off where my money went from Converse Chucks to Nike Air Max. I haven't had a chance to fettle with the compression/rebound settings just yet and may not ever. The ride is now, in a word, Stone Temple Pilots PLUSH.

YMMV @cruiserdan

P.S. This pro's review is what convinced me to go with BP-51s - he nailed it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom