OME medium rear height question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear springs are too soft to handle the gear taken on family trips so I’m considering OME medium springs for the back. Currently the rear height is 19.75” from hub center to fender opening with only just over 1/4 tank of gas and only one half of the 3rd row in the truck. If someone could measure their truck in a similar state but with OME mediums on the back I’d appreciate it.

23-24 inches cant remember.

do you mean OME 2860 which is the mid weight 2.5" lift spring?

With stock springs I had 20.5". With the new springs I have 22.75" in the rear.

This is with about 200lbs in the trunk from my drawers and some tools I carry around. Maybe a little more weight than you have.

Pic for reference:

oxqrC5c.jpg

Trying to decide between 860s and 865s. I don’t really want to lift the front more than I have by giving the torsion bars a few turns because I just put new OE shocks on the front and can’t afford a diff drop kit either.

do you mean OME 2860 which is the mid weight 2.5" lift spring?

With stock springs I had 20.5". With the new springs I have 22.75" in the rear.

This is with about 200lbs in the trunk from my drawers and some tools I carry around. Maybe a little more weight than you have.

Pic for reference:

oxqrC5c.jpg
Mine with 860s is identical to @riffman12

Trying to decide between 860s and 865s. I don’t really want to lift the front more than I have by giving the torsion bars a few turns because I just put new OE shocks on the front and can’t afford a diff drop kit either.
The 865s will sag pretty bad under the loads you stated in your first post. Although they’re the same spring rate as the 860s, the 865s are a full inch shorter than the 860s in free height.

Thanks for all the input, I will look for a deal on some 860 springs.

On my son’s 00 LC (ARB front bumper, Warn 10k winch w/synthetic line, Slee tube sliders, both 3rd row seats installed.

Rear heights:
Stock ~20.5”
OME 865 ~22”
OME 860 ~22.75

On my son’s 00 LC (ARB front bumper, Warn 10k winch w/synthetic line, Slee tube sliders, both 3rd row seats installed.

Rear heights:
Stock ~20.5”
OME 865 ~22”
OME 860 ~22.75
Based off your numbers my rear is sagging a decent amount since I’m currently at 19.75” with no extra weight in my truck besides a small stroller and diaper bag for the little one.

Based off your numbers my rear is sagging a decent amount since I’m currently at 19.75” with no extra weight in my truck besides a small stroller and diaper bag for the little one.
Your rear coils are probably ~22 years old.

From the “leveled” in your signature line, I’ll point out that it is unlikely that you will be able to make the front/rear level, in a stock weight vehicle, with OME 860 coils, without severely affecting ride quality (negatively).

Your rear coils are probably ~22 years old.

From the “leveled” in your signature line, I’ll point out that it is unlikely that you will be able to make the front/rear level, in a stock weight vehicle, with OME 860 coils, without severely affecting ride quality (negatively).
I know there will be rake again until I can afford all the pieces to lift the front more. With a full tank of gas and the gear for a family road trip it didn’t take much for the rear to hit the bumpstops.

I know there will be rake again until I can afford all the pieces to lift the front more. With a full tank of gas and the gear for a family road trip it didn’t take much for the rear to hit the bumpstops.
You can lift more, but much beyond 21-21.5” in the front, ride goes to 💩 in a hurry, due to lack of droop, and steep angles.

If you’re staying nearly stock weight, I’d strongly recommend re-indexing the stock torsion bars over aftermarket torsion bars.

What I guess I’m trying to say, there will be rake with OME 860 springs, or it will ride like 💩, unless you are really loading down the 860s.

You can lift more, but much beyond 21-21.5” in the front, ride goes to 💩 in a hurry, due to lack of droop, and steep angles.

If you’re staying nearly stock weight, I’d strongly recommend re-indexing the stock torsion bars over aftermarket torsion bars.

What I guess I’m trying to say, there will be rake with OME 860 springs, or it will ride like 💩, unless you are really loading down the 860s.
This is why 865s were in the mix of choices because most of the time I don’t have a lot of weight in the truck. The issue is when we go on a trip best case is probably 150ish pounds of gear for our family of 4 and that’s if we eat out or stay with family so we don’t need to carry much food or any real camping gear. Maybe I should get 865s and if they don’t work out sell them and put the money towards 860s.

Looking at this chart 865 may be the way to go or even some 862’s.

Hoping folks can chime in on whether I should go with 860 vs 865 rear springs for my 100LC?
Current ride height unloaded (center to fender): Driver Front 20.5”, D Rear 20.25” / Passenger Front 20.5”, P Rear 20” …so slight anti-stink bug :/

I’ve removed the 3rd row seats and two of the 2nd row seats on the driver side, and have a ADGU-“like” DIY drawer/sleeper platform in the back. I’d say they cancel each other out in terms of weight, or likely even lighter than stock unloaded. Loaded would include just cooking/camping gear, snacks, etc. in the drawers in the back, and a 45 QT roto-molded cooler, 6 gallon water jug in the 2nd row area/middle of the truck.

I prefer to have the truck leveled or perhaps slight ~1” rake, but definitely don’t want a crazy stink bug stance (I know its better for performance and handling).

Or are there other aftermarket springs that might be well-suited for what I’m looking for? Ironman spring rate and free height seemed a bit much. I actually like the stock springs with the softer 170lb/in spring rate, but the OMEs were the next softest I could find.

Follow up for this. I ended up with some 860 springs for the rear. They are heavier than I was wanting but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. The rear height with no 3rd row seats and a little less than a 1/2 tank of gas is 22 1/2" center of wheel to fender opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom