OME Medium or Heavy...01 tacoma d-cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.w2m.com
EDIT:
This is the setup I think I want: coutesy of http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com for the great OME information on his site...

One question: is the dakar setup going to be available for my tacoma.???

Heavy Duty Kit 2"-2.5" Lift
Front coils designed for 110 to 220lbs additional FRONT load (winch, bullbar, etc.)
Rear designed for 0lbs to GVM additional REAR load (tire carrier, bumper, etc.)

Ultimate Heavy Kit (Includes EVERYTHING) Part# OMETCUHV - $955.00
(Retail Price - $1325.00)
Includes:
2 - OME 881 Front Coil Springs
2 - N91S/N91SC Front Nitrocharger Shock (N91S gives frimer ride & positive feel)
2 - OME 15A/B Rear Leaf Springs
2 - N85/N94 Rear Nitrocharger Shock Absorber (N85 gives frimer ride & positive feel)
2 - SB88 Poly Spring Bushing Kits
1 - OMEGS12 Greasable Rear Shackle Kit
2 - OME95PF5 Front Trim Spacer 5mm
1 - FK21 Exhaust Bracket

Any experience with these lift options.......I am still beating myself up with lift options, I am so happy with my OME lift on my FJ60...I am hisitant to put anything else on the truck.

1104696944gtaco.jpg

thx,
R.

Last edited:
I replace alot of OME trucks with same front end as tacoma here, but same rear as new 4 runner, because the OME is to soft, and spring rate not high enough in the front.

We use 25% over coils custom made, and Bilstien shocks with adjustable front spring settings to suit winch.steel bar etc [with a 1" - 4" lift].

We sell OME as well, but I dont have it on my truck.....

front%20strut.jpg

If you want the best available then OME is not even close on the Tacoma. If you go with the OME set-up, get the 882 fronts if you have any plans on running a heavy bumper or winch. Those 881 coils ARE NOT the "heavy" coils. Don't get me wrong, OME is better than stock, but...

There are several great adjustable coilover set-ups for the front of the Tacoma/4runner. KINGS, Camburg, and Donahoe are the high end products. Donahoe was running their off shelf product on their race truck and won the BAJA. SAW (sway a way) or Fagtech would be lower end coilovers.

They are adjustable so you never have to screw around with trim packers, they ride like a dream, and they are fully rebuildable (althoug very few people ever use them hard enough to need a rebuild).

The OME rear springs are much better than stock but Deaver or Alcan can make you better ones for a little more.

The best information is found at TTORA.com. You will find tons of 411 there. You will find tons of used OME stuff in the classifieds...

Vendor knowledge and good customer support for Tacomas can be found here:

http://www.demello-offroad.com (Jason makes great sliders and bumpers too)
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/toyota.htm

saws would be middle end to me. fabtech's are the lowest. but whose gonna pay $950 for a set of coilovers (like king and DH) anyway unless they are loaded and going to run them in the desert or really fast down washes. $600-650 fits and the quality of the SAWs are there. I do like the top heim on the higher end ones though.

SAWS have had a troubled history and continue to have production/design problems. Several TTORA members have returned some of them for service and continued to have problems with them.

Fagtech has a basic set-up (not rebuildable and not any better than OME) as well as their performance set-up.

KINGS and Camburgs can be had for $850 and they ride and perform much nicer than SAWS. The Donahoes ride the best from my experience. You can also get the "extended" Donahoes and combined with a uni-ball upper arm you can get 1" additional wheel travel. May not sound like much but it is noticeable.

I have driven in trucks equipped with all of the options. The high end products handle much better on and off road.

And to answer your question, most of the TTORA people who upgrade to coilovers are saving the extra money because experience shows it is worth it. These high end products are selling very briskly.

I run Kings, Downey add-a-leaf, and extended length Bilstein 5100's. This set up cost me $1050. Worth every penny and outperforms OME in every way.

One thing we have done withthe bilstiens we use in the front is fit the factory bush to the bottom of it, as we get a much better service length out of the factory bush, than any other we have tried to date.

calamaridog said:
SAWS have ... ... OME in every way.

ah, ok. I haven't had problems with mine so I never really worried about it. I must have gotten the one good set they made. I knew fabtech had two options but in my opinion they are both crappier than SAWs, with the rubber instead of heims.

Just to answer a couple of questions...

The Dakar springs will not be available anytime soon for the Tacoma rear end, one day in the future, but nothing as of yet.

There are actually three different front springs available for the Tacoma:

Specs:

OME 880
Bar Diameter (mm): 16
Free Height (mm): 365
Number of Coils: 10.2
Coil Weight (Kg): 4.7
Spring Rate (lbf/in): 500

OME 881
Free Height (mm): 375

OME 882
Free Height (mm): 395

That being said, I run the 882's in the front of my Taco. They have been on almost two years and 30k+ miles, they have been great! I dare say my truck sees alot more offroad use than the average Tacoma.. Moab last year a couple times... Well over 20 desert trips... A conservative guess would say arouind 1500 miles in the dirt last year. I have absolutely loved my OME setup, as has every customer I have sold the same kit too (15 or so last year).

IMHO, you can't beat the kit for the money...

cruiseroutfit said:
That being said, I run the 882's in the front of my Taco. They have been on almost two years and 30k+ miles, they have been great! I dare say my truck sees alot more offroad use than the average Tacoma.. Moab last year a couple times... Well over 20 desert trips... A conservative guess would say arouind 1500 miles in the dirt last year. I have absolutely loved my OME setup, as has every customer I have sold the same kit too (15 or so last year).

IMHO, you can't beat the kit for the money...

No argument from me. I like OME stuff.

Razor, I couldn't tell from Jason's site but does that kit have the long travel setup for the front, ie. control arms etc.? If not, have you thought about that option?

donahoecoilover.jpg

I would of swapped 15 sets of OME out probably, and have done mainly 4wding on mine for 60,000km in my own vehicle with bilstiens, inc a 3 week desert trip where we launched over 20+ cattle grids and wash aways, bent 3 steel rims so far, and though i did break one eye off one rear shock, for the amount of air time fully loaded the car has had, I wasnt surprised.

3 new OME kits died on that desert trip, 2 of those vehicles now have my syuspension after seeeing it work in another customers car on that trip.

If OME wasnt the best marketed shock, perhaps there would be a budget to make a decent one.

The springs they use are ok though.

Razor said:
Well thanks everyone.....

I am not one to skimp on a product..........so, when I am ready...guess I will go this route.....

I really appreciate the input....

http://demello-offroad.com//catalog...id=68&osCsid=f1c3c5c5b1536a5f5ac96d1b7fc4f332

Just a note, the 7 leaf pack (Deaver) is very flexy but if you carry loads regularly then I'd consider an 8 leaf pack (Deaver) or even OME rear springs which handle loads well. Make sure you discuss your load carrying needs before you buy the 7 leaf pack to be sure it fits your needs.

Also, if you don't want to wait you can do this in stages, ie buy the coilovers, add the upper arms later, and upgrade to a replacement rear leaf pack when the stock ones break:)

thx,
I put a dirt bike in ounce in a while.......I am debating on a topper with the mods and using my trailer for the dirt bike transport when I go, which is not much.

So, If I get just coil over for now, you can set them to stock ride heighth to go along with the stocker rear end....??

Then 2nd stage get the leaf pack and shocks...and set the coil over accordingly ?

then 3rd stage get the a-arms and whatever else goes with...??

I think I got it figured out if this is right...

BFG All Terrains tire size suggestions after the stage 2. ?

thx,
R.

calamaridog said:
Just a note, the 7 leaf pack (Deaver) is very flexy but if you carry loads regularly then I'd consider an 8 leaf pack (Deaver) or even OME rear springs which handle loads well. Make sure you discuss your load carrying needs before you buy the 7 leaf pack to be sure it fits your needs.

Also, if you don't want to wait you can do this in stages, ie buy the coilovers, add the upper arms later, and upgrade to a replacement rear leaf pack when the stock ones break:)

the shed guy said:
If OME wasnt the best marketed shock, perhaps there would be a budget to make a decent one.

The springs they use are ok though.

Then what shocks would you recommend for me to run with my 891 coils? I'm currently running the N86 Firms.

Razor,

Yes, you could buy just the coilovers for now and set them for stock height. They are easy to adjust, even on the truck. If you have ADD, you don't want to crank them over about 2.5 inches lift to be nice to your CV's.

At some point, when you get the topper, etc. or whatever you choose to do, then you can get your semi-custom rear set up.

Now I just realized you are in CO, so you have other options which is in CA. Check out http://www.aor4x4.com/tacoma.htm also. They are a CO company and they can also hook you up with your needs. If the are down the street or something, you can save on shipping.

As far as the a-arms go, they are optional and you can wait till your upper ball joints crap out on you. Some people never get them...

Once you lift it you can run 265 75r16 or 275 70 r16 with no rubbing ever. These sizes will also keep your gearing close to stock. If you wanted a larger tire, you could get away with 285 75r16 by using a B.F.H. to pound the pinch weld in the front fenders flat...

Don't forget, you can research this thing to death at www.tacomaterritory.com :)

L8tr

Also,
if you carry a bit of weight occasionaly, you can turn the 2nd stage rear leaf spring upside down in the pack, or take out the longer one, and just turn the 2nd short leaf in a 2 stage pack so it has some controlled suspension in the rear if you do load it, but doesnt effect travel until it gets close to the bump stop.

I not only beat the seam weld flat, but had to make another 1" of room on the prado to run 285's on 4.5" backspacing.

W e are also starting to get some lower ball joint failures here under 100,000km lately.
broken.jpg

the shed guy said:
Also,
if you carry a bit of weight occasionaly, you can turn the 2nd stage rear leaf spring upside down in the pack, or take out the longer one, and just turn the 2nd short leaf in a 2 stage pack so it has some controlled suspension in the rear if you do load it, but doesnt effect travel until it gets close to the bump stop.

I not only beat the seam weld flat, but had to make another 1" of room on the prado to run 285's on 4.5" backspacing.

W e are also starting to get some lower ball joint failures here under 100,000km lately.

Does anyone make aftermarket arms in AU? We commonly replace the uppers with uni-ball style replacements but I haven't seen many lower a arm failures.

the shed guy said:

I did the seam weld but I didn't have to trim anything else to run mine on my runner, I'm using 4.25" B.S. wheels though. I get no rubbing at all.

you got a suggestion for shocks for me? I may get some in a couple weeks to replace these.

Bilstien is the shock i prefer, i use the 6 series [yellow] ones for what we do here,

And no, no aftermarket arms here...... yet ;)

But have had some horror stories of frequent replacement of uniballs compared to OE ball joint, which doesnt help, but Kreg at DR seems to have a different style of mount for the tundra, which may work.
garrett12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom