OME medium duty vs heavy duty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
pros and cons of the medium vs heavy duty OME suspension kits? for the same price it seems like a no-brainer to go with the heavy duty kit. i am planning to run either 305 or 315s. pics of those who have done the lift?

thanks!

jeff

figure out how heavy you will actually be.
If you're not going to add much armor and won't load up to the gills on rough roads, there may not be any real need to go heavy, really. (The 100 does pretty well with loads even with OEM springs IMO.) And yes, if unloaded with heavies, you will show lift but you may also have a harsher ride, suspension issues, leaks, vibes etc so some negatives there.
So I guess I's suggest to ascertain realistically your real needs.
Of course, if it's mostly about looks or lift, then the higher the better I guess.

figure out how heavy you will actually be.
If you're not going to add much armor and won't load up to the gills on rough roads, there may not be any real need to go heavy, really. (The 100 does pretty well with loads even with OEM springs IMO.) And yes, if unloaded with heavies, you will show lift but you may also have a harsher ride, suspension issues, leaks, vibes etc so some negatives there.
So I guess I's suggest to ascertain realistically your real needs.
Of course, if it's mostly about looks or lift, then the higher the better I guess.

X2...it's all about the amount of lift and/or load carrying capablities.

Personally I would keep your max tire diameter at 33" unless you intend to convert to 4.88's with the 35"/315...for the best overall performance.

X2...it's all about the amount of lift and/or load carrying capablities.

Personally I would keep your max tire diameter at 33" unless you intend to convert to 4.88's with the 35"/315...for the best overall performance.

load and carrying not a concern

so would you do a 295 or 305 instead of the 315?

What is the main purpose of you building your truck?

Expo/carry a lot of gear?
4-wheeling
Difficult 4-wheeling?
Looks?
Other?

load and carrying not a concern

so would you do a 295 or 305 instead of the 315?

I would not even do that much width.
33" or so is very practical a diameter. Plenty big for most reasonable offroading and no major mod needed. That's good.
Width wise, I would not go bigger than 285. I can easily do just about anything in the sand with aired down 285s. In fact, if you don't plan on much sand, you might want to explore narrower tires. Folks here have started to talk about 255s quite a bit IIRC. Doesn't seem like those are a problem at all for the majority of wheeling folks do. Plus cheaper, tucked up spare, etc.

90% - looks
10% - light 4-wheeling

I ask because every modification offers various advantages AND disadvantages.

90% looks (and you already mentioning low load capacity) to me equals:

2" lift and keep the nice ride while improving handling. OME MEDIUM

10% light 4-wheeling (and already mentioning low load capacity) to me equals:

2" lift (OME MEDIUM) and 33-inch (285) tires

IF you add HEAVY accessories down the road you can easily add trim packs to level and/or make a rear spring swap IF necessary.

For your scenario, the basic medium OME lift offers lift, better handling, more off-road capability and with LITTLE overall compromise.

on my last cruiser i had 285s with no lift and liked the look, just going for something a little more aggressive this time around.

you dont think the lift with the 285s will look silly? i just dont want that "got the lift but couldnt afford the tires" look to my truck! :D

on my last cruiser i had 285s with no lift and liked the look, just going for something a little more aggressive this time around.

you dont think the lift with the 285s will look silly? i just dont want that "got the lift but couldnt afford the tires" look to my truck! :D

OK....more aggressive looks, huh? Which do you like:

45560768-L.jpg

or:

45454455-L.jpg

i think the top pic is a no-brainer :D

Top pic is with 315's and 2.75" lift. The bottom is 285's with 2.25" lift. Setup this way was the best riding lift I've had on the truck. Your only real compromise is less power due to 315's and I personally do not mind it whatsoever (though some do).

Get:

Front T-bars and adjust to 2.50-2.75" lift
Rear 865 springs
20mm trim packs for the rear spring tops
A FEW minor adjusts

Info: http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/984600#45560761

Your ride will be plush, you'll get the look you want and you'll not compromise ride quality with heavy or taller springs.

IF....you add a huge rear bumper later, all you need is a simple rear spring change.

Top pic is with 315's and 2.75" lift. The bottom is 285's with 2.25" lift. Setup this way was the best riding lift I've had on the truck. Your only real compromise is less power due to 315's and I personally do not mind it whatsoever (though some do).

Get:

Front T-bars and adjust to 2.50-2.75" lift
Rear 865 springs
20mm trim packs for the rear spring tops
A FEW minor adjusts

Info: http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/984600#45560761

Your ride will be plush, you'll get the look you want and you'll not compromise ride quality with heavy or taller springs.

IF....you add a huge rear bumper later, all you need is a simple rear spring change.

thanks for the tips John. the loss in power would be no big deal to me, i used to have a 62 as a daily driver, talk about NO power :D

so would the OME medium kit with slee diff drop accomplish what you are suggesting?

so would the OME medium kit with slee diff drop accomplish what you are suggesting?

Yes...plus these item(s):

Now, let's get REAL picky:

If some slight rubbing OFF road will not bother you:
2ea 10mm trim packs (1 per rear spring)

If some slight rubbing OFF road WILL bother you:
4 ea 10mm.......2/spring
2 ea 2" rear bump stop extentions (Slee has them. 80/100 series same) and longer bolts.

will the 315 mount up under the vehicle in the current spare tire location? i saw pics of your vehicle with the tire undermounted before you added your rear bumper and tire carrier, but cant tell if it was your 285 or the 315. i am guessing "no"

will the 315 mount up under the vehicle in the current spare tire location? i saw pics of your vehicle with the tire undermounted before you added your rear bumper and tire carrier, but cant tell if it was your 285 or the 315. i am guessing "no"

315 fits there no prob WITHOUT the trailer hitch. 285 fits with the hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom