OME lift kit/suspension. Heavy load vs medium load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this is my first time posting in this forum so my apologies if this formatting or anything is incorrect.

I plan on getting a OME 2.5” lift for my LX450 but I’m unsure whether to get heavy load springs or medium load springs. I don’t currently have a heavy bumper or winch, but I plan to get that stuff eventually. The issue is I’m not sure when I’d get those things so my question is would having the heavy load springs without the added weight actually be dangerous, or would it just make ride quality a bit worse?

When I bought mine last month is had the J coils on all four corners. It has a lot of body roll without having the additional weight of bumpers, storage, etc. I have the 863s that should be delivered in the next few days. While still the heavy coils, I'm hoping they help with the feeling. Otherwise I'll probably switch to the medium. I also have bumpers and sliders on order, so hopefully they helps as well. Other than feeling a lot of body roll, it has not seemed "dangerous" even when off-roading. YMMV.

Get your driving figured out like what You will be doing with your rig first, than armor dialed bumbers, sliders and accessories, rack tent, winch and gear than figure weight and lift! And none of this should be done if you have not baselined the truck!

Get your driving figured out like what You will be doing with your rig first, than armor dialed bumbers, sliders and accessories, rack tent, winch and gear than figure weight and lift! And none of this should be done if you have not baselined the truck!
Well the suspension is pretty s*** so it’s kind of higher on the list of things to get done. I’m not going to fix the suspension and then buy a lift kit which will replace most of the stuff I’d have just paid for. I have a few things that I probably need to deal with before suspension but it’s gonna be changed sooner rather than later.
As for what I want out of the rig is a daily/off-road hybrid I think

Well the suspension is pretty s*** so it’s kind of higher on the list of things to get done. I’m not going to fix the suspension and then buy a lift kit which will replace most of the stuff I’d have just paid for. I have a few things that I probably need to deal with before suspension but it’s gonna be changed sooner rather than later.
As for what I want out of the rig is a daily/off-road hybrid I think
I hear you I drove a year plus on weekends with stock roached suspension and it sucked but I didn’t want to buy twice so I upgraded what I wanted first and than got lift I am currently in the precession of lifting. I did not daily drive So that would be a dif story. 🤞

I hear you I drove a year plus on weekends with stock roached suspension and it sucked but I didn’t want to buy twice so I upgraded what I wanted first and than got lift I am currently in the precession of lifting. I did not daily drive So that would be a dif story. 🤞
I’m not currently dailying it but I plan to daily if or at least drive it a lot more once some of the priority stuff is fixed. I’m pretty torn on whether to just get the heavy load and see what happens until I get the added weight or to just get the medium load and see what I wanna do from there. I really have no solid timeline on any mods or repairs so it’s hard to know honestly

For a more level stance run the 850j fronts and 2.5” heavies or mediums which ever one you decide on. The OME shocks have very aggressive compression valving causing a stiff ride. In fact, the OME stuff is an old option that has lost popularity due to all the newer, better, suspension offerings on the market now.

The 863 “heavies” aren’t really all that heavy duty unless you never add bumpers, armor, etc.

You can now have springs and shocks that carry loads better and also ride better when your rig is empty.

Last edited:
For a more level stance run the 850j fronts and 2.5” heavies or mediums which ever one you decide on. The OME shocks have very aggressive compression valving causing a stiff ride. In fact, the OME stuff is an old option that has lost popularity due to all the newer, better, suspension offerings on the market now.

The 863 “heavies” aren’t really all that heavy duty unless you never add bumpers, armor, etc.

You can now by springs and shocks that carry load better and also ride better when your rig is empty.

Yeah I've gotta swap my ome shocks for probably some fox ones....coils are fine but the shocks are mehhh

You can now have springs and shocks that carry loads better and also ride better when your rig is empty.

Going to be honest I don’t know a ton about suspension, I’d just seen a lot of people tend to run OME and seemed to like it. Do you have a kit you’d suggest or is it better to not get a kit and put together suspension with different parts from different brands or something? I really don’t know much about it so I’m open to suggestions, that page you linked seems like a lot to take in when I’m uneducated

Going to be honest I don’t know a ton about suspension, I’d just seen a lot of people tend to run OME and seemed to like it. Do you have a kit you’d suggest or is it better to not get a kit and put together suspension with different parts from different brands or something? I really don’t know much about it so I’m open to suggestions, that page you linked seems like a lot to take in when I’m uneducated
I posted the link because there is so much more available now than there was 5 years ago and I don’t know exactly how you’ll use your vehicle and what your personal opinions and preferences are.

In general, any coil springs having more turns to create the same ride height will be a better spring. Many people are now running progressive or dual rate (Slinky brand and Dobinson brand Tapered coil springs) because they ride well and can also be made to carry heavy loads well.

You can spend $3k on shocks if you want. As for cheap shocks, I have experience with OME and Dobinson yellow shocks. The Dobinson’s won’t jar your brains due less aggressive compression damping. Tough Dog is another brand that comes to mind but I have no experience with their products, others like them though.

Yes, there is a lot to take in now, where as, a few years ago, we had only a couple choices. My suggestion is to take all the time you need to read and research a lot about this subject and the products offered before you buy. Your first suspension purchase probably won’t be your last as you learn more and vehicle use and new products evolve.

You can learn a lot here on mud but you can gain general spring and shock absorber knowledge on other sites as well. Just beware that we like to spout opinions here on mud and if you ask a question you’ll wind up reading many opinions that will serve only to confuse you further that’s why calling the suspension venders directly to ask questions is a good idea.

I posted the link because there is so much more available now than there was 5 years ago and I don’t know exactly how you’ll use your vehicle and what your personal opinions and preferences are.

In general, any coil springs having more turns to create the same ride height will be a better spring. Many people are now running progressive or dual rate (Slinky brand and Dobinson brand Tapered coil springs) because they ride well and can also be made to carry heavy loads well.

You can spend $3k on shocks if you want. As for cheap shocks, I have experience with OME and Dobinson yellow shocks. The Dobinson’s won’t jar your brains due less aggressive compression damping. Tough Dog is another brand that comes to mind but I have no experience with their products, others like them though.

Yes, there is a lot to take in now, where as, a few years ago, we had only a couple choices. My suggestion is to take all the time you need to read and research a lot about this subject and the products offered before you buy. Your first suspension purchase probably won’t be your last as you learn more and vehicle use and new products evolve.

You can learn a lot here on mud but you can gain general spring and shock absorber knowledge on other sites as well. Just beware that we like to spout opinions here on mud and if you ask a question you’ll wind up reading many opinions that will serve only to confuse you further that’s why calling the suspension venders directly to ask questions is a good idea.
Damn this is going to be a ride huh?

I mostly want a hybrid daily/off-road build with a mild 2.5-3” lift. So ideally some decently comfortable ride quality, I’d rather not spend much over $1k if I can avoid it and I’d imagine for my first time, buying a kit would easier than individual suspension parts

Damn this is going to be a ride huh?

I mostly want a hybrid daily/off-road build with a mild 2.5-3” lift. So ideally some decently comfortable ride quality, I’d rather not spend much over $1k if I can avoid it and I’d imagine for my first time, buying a kit would easier than individual suspension parts

Prob no such thing as a mild 3" lift for under $1k. I went through this and decided to stay under 2.5" as the price escalates quickly to correct the rig's geometry (front and rear), and once you are down that 3" road you need to consider replacing a variety of components too (think panhard bars, swaybar drops, a variety of bushings). Lift kits typically only have the minimum parts, not all the other bits you need (even at 2" I was buying other stuff). Tons of info here, enjoy the ride :flipoff2:

The other way to look at this is that springs are not that spendy, and they are fairly easy to swap out, and there is a somewhat of a secondary market (meaning you might get a couple sheckles for used springs). The shocks are more expensive and somewhat more involved to remove/install. Meaning invest in good shocks, take you best guess on the springs and go for it. (!'m Team Dobinsons now, look at exit offroad.

Tires are a big piece of the puzzle too and another $1000-$1600, and where are you going to keep the spare? Roughly speaking 35"s won't fit in the stock spot, so you need a rear carrier or carry it inside.

Took me a long time to dial in what I wanted and what I typically carry. Best advice I've seen here....drive as you got it as long as you can, then figure out a build plan based on how you use it. Mine in stock config, no lockers, with highway terrain tires took me through lots of terrain (not rock crawling) but made the guys in built jeeps, tacos and LR3s scratch their heads more than once.

Prob no such thing as a mild 3" lift for under $1k. I went through this and decided to stay under 2.5" as the price escalates quickly to correct the rig's geometry (front and rear), and once you are down that 3" road you need to consider replacing a variety of components too (think panhard bars, swaybar drops, a variety of bushings). Lift kits typically only have the minimum parts, not all the other bits you need (even at 2" I was buying other stuff). Tons of info here, enjoy the ride :flipoff2:

The other way to look at this is that springs are not that spendy, and they are fairly easy to swap out, and there is a somewhat of a secondary market (meaning you might get a couple sheckles for used springs). The shocks are more expensive and somewhat more involved to remove/install. Meaning invest in good shocks, take you best guess on the springs and go for it. (!'m Team Dobinsons now, look at exit offroad.

Tires are a big piece of the puzzle too and another $1000-$1600, and where are you going to keep the spare? Roughly speaking 35"s won't fit in the stock spot, so you need a rear carrier or carry it inside.

Took me a long time to dial in what I wanted and what I typically carry. Best advice I've seen here....drive as you got it as long as you can, then figure out a build plan based on how you use it. Mine in stock config, no lockers, with highway terrain tires took me through lots of terrain (not rock crawling) but made the guys in built jeeps, tacos and LR3s scratch their heads more than once.
I’m kind of looking at an IM Foam Cell Pro 2” kit right now tbh. Only plan to get 33s the biggest for now but I’m probably going to Stick with my current tires for a while before that change anyway. I didn’t mean under or around $1000-$1500 for my whole build obviously, just for my first ever lift kit/suspension change

I’m kind of looking at an IM Foam Cell Pro 2” kit right now tbh. Only plan to get 33s the biggest for now but I’m probably going to Stick with my current tires for a while before that change anyway. I didn’t mean under or around $1000-$1500 for my whole build obviously, just for my first ever lift kit/suspension change
Makes sense. I was looking at that same kit too for a long time, I think it’s a good choice for sure. Really, one of the reasons I went with the Dobi kit because there was a dude I could call at Exit Offroad, and great service is worth paying for these days. If you look for @crikeymike the guy is active on dozens of forums and really supports his products, which came in handy for me mid build for sure. (Not saying IM has bad service, I never delt with them beyond their website.)

sounds like your reading some posts! Have fun.

I had ome on my last 80, the current 80 has an iron man 2" kit. I like the iron man a lot more than the old man...

Look into the dobinson 2” progressive springs. That should fit the bill with 33” tires. I wanted 315s so I opted for the 3” heavies. Also I already had a spare set of 863 from my 100 series. If not, I would have gone with the dobinsons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom