OME Lift and decreased MPG - reasoning?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ssearched and did not find any info.

I knew that installing a lift on my LC was going to result in decreased MPG. I just don't understand why this is so. Nothing changes mechanically, other than a slight increased angle at the front differential (note: I have a diff drop) but I don't see this as being the culprit. I was already running 285s before the lift, so tire size is not the culprit either.

I am left with aerodynamics, i.e more air allowed under the car and somehow increasing drag. But again, I fail to believe that this is the sole cause. Based the computer's calculated mileage, I dropped approx. 1.5 MPG for my daily driving pot lift.

What do ya'll think? Or maybe someone knows and can expound this issue for me.

Increased frontal area.

There is more wind resistance. Maybe if you lowered it your mileage would increase:idea: Other than the decrease in mileage, do you like the results?

Maybe 1loudlx can provide some feedback on that lowering thing?

I also think it's mainly increased frontal surface area, which includes the front between the bumper and the ground. Best way to increase fuel economy would be to drive 55-60mph on cruise or lower the vehicle. Best way for the latter would be one of those JDM AHC controllers that allows one to drop/raise the front/rear independently of one another in 10mm increments. The new LX basically does this (drops the vehicle at highway speed by a fixed amount, the front drops more than the rear) to regain some lost mpg's due to the increased engine displacement.

Other than the decrease in mileage, do you like the results?

Of course I like the results! Wouldn't go back (or lower) for anything, just curious. I have a 400 mile highway trip this afternoon, so I will able to see what the highway MPG is post lift. Probably end up cleaning the MAF.

Maybe 1loudlx can provide some feedback on that lowering thing?

:lol:

Though he did wheel last weekend which is more than you can say for me. :doh:

I also think it's mainly increased frontal surface area, which includes the front between the bumper and the ground.

Plus increased frontal exposed surface area of all four tires.

35s.... roof rack.... bumpers...... I think when my own mods get done, I'll be riding a VESPA and letting the 100 sit for weekends :D

I also think it's mainly increased frontal surface area, which includes the front between the bumper and the ground. Best way to increase fuel economy would be to drive 55-60mph on cruise or lower the vehicle. Best way for the latter would be one of those JDM AHC controllers that allows one to drop/raise the front/rear independently of one another in 10mm increments. The new LX basically does this (drops the vehicle at highway speed by a fixed amount, the front drops more than the rear) to regain some lost mpg's due to the increased engine displacement.

I disagree with the driving with the cruise control on. I’ve gotten worse using the cruise due to the cruise hammering the throttle to increase/maintain speed. But maybe its better at 55-60, I don’t know, I have never driven at that speed with cruise on.
~DMX

The new LX basically does this (drops the vehicle at highway speed by a fixed amount, the front drops more than the rear) to regain some lost mpg's due to the increased engine displacement.
The LX570 also has a coefficient of drag of .35 vs .40 for the LX470. Not sure if that figure is with the auto lowering suspension activated though.

The lift also causes more turbulence under the vehicle which adds to its drag.

I'm currently working on some easily removable attachments for the front of my rig that would help with on highway air flow; not sure if it'll do much good, but it can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom