OME lift and crazy angle from transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am chasing down past due maintenance on a 1996 80 with an OME lift. I am now down to the crazy noise during deceleration. I am changing all of the U joints, but it is a crazy angle out of the transfer case that I think is the noise culprit. I feel as though it is going to eat a new U joint fairly quickly.

I have searched and ideas seem to be all over the place for causes/remedies and the noise seems to be common somewhat.

There are a ton of these with OME lifts (my FJ 40 has an OME lift for the last 15-20 years), I cant understand why the lift makes the geometry on the front drive shaft so out of wack.

Any reasonable fixes or just replace u joints as they fail? I would rather shim transfer case or something along those lines, not getting any younger for crawling under vehicles.

I did buy it this way so reverting back to stock would be a painful ($) experience.

Part time it.....

I am chasing down past due maintenance on a 1996 80 with an OME lift. I am now down to the crazy noise during deceleration. I am changing all of the U joints, but it is a crazy angle out of the transfer case that I think is the noise culprit. I feel as though it is going to eat a new U joint fairly quickly.

I have searched and ideas seem to be all over the place for causes/remedies and the noise seems to be common somewhat.

There are a ton of these with OME lifts (my FJ 40 has an OME lift for the last 15-20 years), I cant understand why the lift makes the geometry on the front drive shaft so out of wack.

Any reasonable fixes or just replace u joints as they fail? I would rather shim transfer case or something along those lines, not getting any younger for crawling under vehicles.

I did buy it this way so reverting back to stock would be a painful ($) experience.
I have an OME lift on my truck and I have no problems.

I cant understand why the lift makes the geometry on the front drive shaft so out of wack

Because of the radius arms. If we had upper and lower control arms in the front, you could adjust their length to get back the stock pinion angle.

You didn't say what lift you put on. You should probably go to an alignment shop to figure out what your caster is now, and use a digital angle finder to see where your pinion and drive shaft angles are at.

What he said, what lift are you running?
Center hub to bottom edge of fender flare measurement?

Driveshaft assembled and installed properly?

is the crazy noise during deceleration like a rumble? if so check for lateral movement in the UNI's, particuarly the one at the rear diff - I had this happen once and this was the issue - fixed by pressing the cups in a little more.

Ive had OME springs (850/863) in mine since '98 and caster correction bushes up front & no issues. I ran it with out caster bushes for a bit at first but opted for the bushes not long after - didnt like the way it steered....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom