OME leafs in to front of a 93 SAS 4runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one tried it?

I have a 3" TG SAS swap kit in the front of my truck. its way to tall and way to soft for the kind of use I want. My truck was swapped to the 85 SFA to get a bit more simplicity and strength but all the kits were geared towards rock crawlers and I am not on of those.

I am looking at getting the OME leafs for the front of a 84-85 4runner and using them in my SAS swapped 93 V6 4runner. I will be getting the heavy load ones with the extra HD leaf added. Do you think this will be good for the added weight of the V6 and the ARB bumper and winch?

I have measured and were I have the spring hanger and shackle tubes is the same as a 85 SFA 4runner the only difference is the front hanger is 1" taller. I am also looking at getting the OME shackles and playing with caster after that.

Has any one tried this or am I going to be testing new waters?

Jeremy:cheers:

It should work out good. I am using OME rear springs on the front of my '94 SAS with a couple long thin stock leaves added and the overload removed. OME springs are very specific, but with a little tuning they work very well all around for builds. I get really nice flex and a very good ride from this setup.

It should work out good. I am using OME rear springs on the front of my '94 SAS with a couple long thin stock leaves added and the overload removed. OME springs are very specific, but with a little tuning they work very well all around for builds. I get really nice flex and a very good ride from this setup.

That's great! I hope using the front springs will do the same, decent flex but great hwy manners. I am just working on getting them now and will post up one I get them and install them. :cheers:

Dose anyone know the eye to pin measurement on a stock SFA mini Toyota? I just want ot make sure I do not have my axle in a stange spot with the OME leafs. An overall eye to eye measurement would be great too.

Thx

Dose anyone know the eye to pin measurement on a stock SFA mini Toyota? I just want ot make sure I do not have my axle in a stange spot with the OME leafs. An overall eye to eye measurement would be great too.

Thx

Remember, OME springs are different heights side to side. If you welded a perch on the drivers side perch, be sure to order 2 of the same spring.

Stock springs are 45" with a centered (22.5") eye.

Trail gear springs are 47" with an offset (22/25") eye (aprox 220 in lbs)

I also used to use OME rear springs up front. They are 47" long with an offset (21.5/25.5") eye. (217 in lbs)

I did the debate, went back and forth, and finally had deaver rebuild an old set of national springs I had laying around. Works better than any leaf setup I have run on a mini truck.

Remember, these are leaf springs. There are only a few things you can take into account: Quality of the metal, thickness of the leafs, length of the spring, and width of the spring. In general, the spring with the best material, the most leafs, and the longest with the correct spring rate will ride/work the best. This is how I ended up with an 11 leaf front pack (aprox 172 in lbs), and a 14 leaf rear pack (aprox 150 in lbs).

Quick spring rate math for the technically savvy:

((width of the spring * number of leafs)/12)*((1000*thickness of one leaf)/eye to eye length of the spring)^3 = spring rate

Last edited:
Well I picked up my OME springs and shackles at ARB on Friday and had them all in on Sunday. First impressions are good, about the same hight as the TG 3" springs with 2 leafs pulled. The shackles are at 90deg right now but the springs have not been broken in at all (cant drive it in the middle of an ARB air locker install). The OME greasable shackles are fantastic quality, I'm use to the TG shackles that leave a lot to be desired.

I will post some pictures once I get it back on the road.

I ended up getting the heavy load front springs and installed the extra load leaf to cope with the V6 and the bumper and winch weight.

Well I picked up my OME springs and shackles at ARB on Friday and had them all in on Sunday. First impressions are good, about the same hight as the TG 3" springs with 2 leafs pulled. The shackles are at 90deg right now but the springs have not been broken in at all (cant drive it in the middle of an ARB air locker install). The OME greasable shackles are fantastic quality, I'm use to the TG shackles that leave a lot to be desired.

I will post some pictures once I get it back on the road.

I ended up getting the heavy load front springs and installed the extra load leaf to cope with the V6 and the bumper and winch weight.
Hate to bring up a really old post but was just wondering if there was any more updates on your setup. I too was thinking about using the old man emu front Springs on my 1989 1st gen 4Runner with the V6. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible.

Hate to bring up a really old post but was just wondering if there was any more updates on your setup. I too was thinking about using the old man emu front Springs on my 1989 1st gen 4Runner with the V6. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible.

It worked great, drove 100x better than with the TG springs. I sold the truck 6 years ago and it's still running around with 100k kms more millage. Springs are still going strong from the looks of it.

It worked great, drove 100x better than with the TG springs. I sold the truck 6 years ago and it's still running around with 100k kms more millage. Springs are still going strong from the looks of it.

I scoured the internet for days until I found your post . Seen other people ask on a few different web sites and groups and whatnot but never really saw anybody that actually did the old man emu with it the SAS . That's why I commenting on your post. Did you end up having to buy two of the same side Springs like someone mentioned above? I'm asking this because the solid axle I got already has a spring perch welded to it and someone said something about a spring hurts on both sides. Don't know much about it cuz I've never really done solid axle swap. I won't be running a winch so I'm not sure if I wouldn't need the heavy duty or not. any thoughts or suggestions on that?? ( front bumper is a Smittybilt, so it is heavier than the factory.)

I have old man emu springs on the rear and they seem to be pretty decent. I do need longer shocks though and intend to buy something longer for it.

I would use the same spring on both sides. I use the taller of the two. 'A' maybe? Coming from someone who bought the light springs, I would buy the heavies.. that way you can remove the extra leaf (that's the only difference) if it sits too tall or is too stiff for you.

Kind of what I was figuring with the heavies. But I was not 100% sure that they were the same with just an extra leaf or two or whatever it is.

One other question I had for wheelingnoob was if you needed to get a different oil pan so that you didn't have any issues with anything hitting or if you had to move the mounts forward further or something to fix that problem. And possibly move the steering box too? ( if you find any old pictures I'd love to see how it turned out. I'm hoping to get a few things sold soon so that I can buy it rest of the parts needed to get this axle put in.)

Just one extra leaf (leaf number three from the top). It is full length and easy to remove.

I'm running the 4" TG springs up front because i have the 3vz v6. I'm thinking of pulling the 3rd from the bottom leaf to make it lower. lol

I've called and talked to several different shops including trail-gear themselves. Trail gear is saying that I can run 35 to 36 inch tire with the 3-inch trail gear is elimination kit. I don't want something that tall. The 3-inch talk it is actually a 4 inch lift then you add in another couple of inches for the 35 inch tire difference and now we're talking over six inches more and height that I have to try to get into. That's not going to work for me!

I'm so conflicted.'...
Just get the trail gear kit and low profile spring hanger? Or just try to make my own something work with the trail gear parts and different leaf springs. I just not sure what to do.

Check with AllPro....I ended up with CS010R OME packs in the front of my Formula Toy and used the AllPro low profile hangers and their shackles. Rig should be on the ground tomorrow and testing next week...

They have a handful of SAS kits and springs...the set I removed were their 45" front packs, and were nice and flat.

Last edited:
Check with AllPro....I ended up with CS010R OME packs in the front of my Formula Toy and used the AllPro low profile hangers and their shackles. Rig should be on the ground tomorrow and testing next week...

They have a handful of SAS kits and springs...the set I removed were their 45" front packs, and were nice and flat.

I'd be interested in knowing how yours works out. & Seeing some pics.. I'm getting closer and closer to being able to buy a kit to put something in.
everyone I keep getting responses from on other groups tell me to just new rears up front and all kinds of other goofy s***. They all think all I'm trying to do is go rock crawling. They cannot seem to understand that some of us want to use our rigs on Road with some light-duty Overland off-roading.

@GRM noted to me privately that the IFS frames are 1-1/2" lower than the solid axle frames, so any height from a lift spring is 1-1/2" more.....and likely too tall....the lower the better :)

I had a hard time explaining this concept to people, so I took these photos to help show the frame difference between ifs and solid axle trucks.

Front is measured from the bottom of the radiator support, Rear is measured through the body mount, to the bottom of the floor. The measurements are not correct, due to variations in the camera angle, but they give you a rough idea.

My very bad measuring skills shows the 86-95 frame to be 1.5" lower at the front cross-member, and between 7/8 to 1" lower at the shackle.

IMG_0366.JPG

My '86 mini has 1.5" lift YJ Wrangler SOA Springs on the front, and I ended up about 3" lower than a Trail Gear solid axle converted truck with 3" Springs.

IMG_9814.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom