ome install

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by fjbj40, Jun 26, 2005.

1. fjbj40

fjbj40

so I am installing my 88fj OME susp. today and I got her up on stands and go to install drivers side shock but it is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch to short !!! Passenger side is fine , I can't just jack the susp. up that much and hook it up can I ??? If I do that it will damage the shock ! Taller spring pack is on the drivers side as per instructions !
    Any suggestions....Cruiseroutfitters you there...hello Kurt !
    thanks in advance....Daryl

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  2. Tinker

Tinker

You may have discovered previous frame damage - measure to be sure you don't.

Remove the shock, bolt the axle to the new spring, attach the spring to the rear mount, & use a floor jack to raise the axle, thereby flattening the spring towards the front shackle. Stick a tapered punch through the shackle bolt hole into the spring eye & pry it forward until you can get the bolt in from the other side. Be careful not to tear the bushing.

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

did you check the code number on shocks .. are right . ? ruling out any error in the order.

4. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

With the weight of the truck resting on the springs, you should have plenty of travel in the shock to fit - if its the right shock.

5. fjbj40

fjbj40

yes right p/n.....I just let the weight of truck compress the spring and hooked it up , springs will probably settle that much so the more I thought about it the less worried I feel .
    Thanks , Daryl

6. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Hey Daryl, I just found this thread...

This is common with a new set of springs, they have quite a bit of "extra" lift in them that will settle out, thus the shocks are made to be at their optimum height after this assumed settling.

Hope everything is going well, let me know if you have any problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.