OME install prices..

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

I was looking into getting an ome 2.5" lift for the 80 maybe early this summer when i get some money. I emailed a 4x4 connection which is about 45 min from me. They said it would take about 10-15hrs total labor time and 1400 to do the install i think. is this right or way off. For some one who doesnt do a whole lot of modifications is it worth paying someone to install it or can i do it myself. thanks. How much have you guys paid to get lifts put on. thanks

2. Riley

Riley

Way off man. It takes like 3 to 4 hours for 1 guy and that's including the caster correction. Maybe 5 hours outside. 5 hours * 70/hour = $350 or so.

It's pretty easy except the caster correction. In that case you need a 20+ ton press.

3. Ron_Z.

Ron_Z.

HOLY s***!!!! I hope that includes the vasaline, dinner and a kiss at the end of the install. It took 2 of us less time then that doing it in the garage with a floor jack, having to make a few runs to the parts store, new front rotors and extending the brake lines and bleeding. And we're not even mechanics. I'm not a mathamatician either but 15 hours x $70 is only $1050.

Keep looking.

4. Rogue

Rogue

It took me about 6 hours, and I did not do the caster. Do it yourself. It's easy. Just don't break any bolts...

5. wob

wob

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=2;threadid=10964;start=msg98484#msg98484 date=1075827962]
    I emailed a 4x4 connection
    [/quote]

Isn't that Junk's favorite place? ???

6. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    [quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=10964;start=msg98502#msg98502 date=1075830164]
    Isn't that Junk's favorite place? ???
    [/quote]

yep, and they quoted the Junk special pricing!

what a bunch of Bullcrap! 10-15 hours? that must be including the brakes they take to smoke crack!

7. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Yep....do it yourself. It's easy easy easy, and then just have a shop press in the caster bushings.

Great way to spend 4 hours and a twelve pack...do hit your shock mount bolts with PB Blaster or similar stuff a couple of days prior to the job. Don't break those bolts.

8. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

I called a local 4x4 shop and I think they quoted 8hrs - although I think they were willing to do it for less (ie that wasn't a book rate). I also found a local mechanic that does all of his work by the 'true hour' vs book rate and lets you watch and learn. Depending on my timing and place to do it, I would consider this (say 5hrs * C$70/hr ~ C$350 + parts) given the problem I know I'll have with rust, no air tools, need for a press, etc.

Cheers, Hugh

9. cruiserman

cruiserman

Maybe James thought you were talking about a leaf-sprung Cruiser. It's more time-consuming to swap springs and shocks on those.

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Except for caster correction, this is as easy as falling off a bike :rolleyes:

Those guys are taking advantage of you BIGTIME. :flipoff2:

And this is coming from a, well, a dealer :flipoff2:

11. raiderob

raiderob

damn thats crazy- just bought my lift kit and i am still waiting for it too arrive- 1000-1500, they are tripping big time-i would rather do it myself

12. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Rob,

My local toyota dealer did my installation :-[ (intimidated by the long loved newly acquired LC; despite the fact that I could r&r on the self leveling suspension on my MBZ myself) - no caster kit since it's a low lift. They charged me 4 hours to do the job (2hrs per axle - that includes new shocks & springs). I did have to come back the next day though since the mechanic did not get my notes for proper springs side :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm guessing you're around the bay area - it's Piercey Toyota in San Jose if you decide to drive a little.

Regards,
    Frank.

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2] I had a Toyota Dealership complete my OME installation :flipoff2: . The Service manager quoted me a price based on the price of doing the suspension on a Tundra , as my Canadian dealership doesn't have pricing for Land Cruisers . Later that day my wife and I pulled up to the dealership in the 4Runner , and were chatting when the service manager walked out and began chatting us up . He concluded by stating that they had not accurately quoted the job , and that we would have to pick it up the next day ... I guess the front was giving them a harder time than they had anticipated in the alloted timeframe . Anyhow , he also smiled and said that he would stick to the quote he gave me !! Is that service , or what ??

I don't remember feeling a 'sting' when I paid the bill , so I imagine it was below $350 USD . When it comes to my cruiser , because I don't have a garage , and am not surrounded by cruiserheads , I always take it to the Dealership ... whom I trust above anyone else .

:cheers: [/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

14. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

hey. thanks alot i would love to try and do it myself. also please dont be very angry at 4x4 connection. b/c that price sounds so wrong it is possible it could be human error, typo or just bad communication between both of us. but thanks.and i am getting a quote right now from a guy with a shop who is big into cruisers to fix my CDL and install a lift. thanks again

15. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Hey, if you are in thed bay area you should check out Gary Kardum at Mudrak's....now he's a cruiser mechanic....and serious 4 wheeler, He'll set you up right the first time. he is in Sonoma mudraks.com

16. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

:eek: That's way too much $$$$! I got mine installed by a trusted local mechanic, did the casters and all $300. I wish i would have done it myself, just didn't have big enough jacks or jack stands.

17. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Look up some Cruiserheads in your area and bribe them with libations. I remember some guys on the LCML having competitions to see who could get their lifts on fastest. Morgan got his on in like 2 hours or something absurd.

18. lagwagon

lagwagon

Looks like you have it taken care of but for $1000. I would fly there and put it on for you :D. Took me two hours using hand tools and an Audi quattro jack to get the front springs in.

19. - S.A. -

- S.A. -

[glow=red,2,300]DO IT YOURSELF YA PUZZY![/glow] :D ;)

Seriously,
    When i put on my OME's..i didnt know JACK s***E about anything cruiser related. They came in a box from Slee and I went out into the street..yes the street as where i was living then i had only street parking! ALL I USED to get those coils on were some cheap tools i bought at auto zone, the STOCK JACK, and 2 sets of coil spring compressors :D..(i managed to bend one set on the ome's!).

It took me 5 hours to do all four...and i must reiterate...back then i didnt know s***E about cruisers.

If i did it again..i could prob do it in a few hours...and i WOLDNT use the coil compressors~!

That A-hole is charging you WAY WAY TOO MUCH.

later..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.