OME install prices.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking into getting an ome 2.5" lift for the 80 maybe early this summer when i get some money. I emailed a 4x4 connection which is about 45 min from me. They said it would take about 10-15hrs total labor time and 1400 to do the install i think. is this right or way off. For some one who doesnt do a whole lot of modifications is it worth paying someone to install it or can i do it myself. thanks. How much have you guys paid to get lifts put on. thanks

Way off man. It takes like 3 to 4 hours for 1 guy and that's including the caster correction. Maybe 5 hours outside. 5 hours * 70/hour = $350 or so.

It's pretty easy except the caster correction. In that case you need a 20+ ton press.

HOLY s***!!!! I hope that includes the vasaline, dinner and a kiss at the end of the install. It took 2 of us less time then that doing it in the garage with a floor jack, having to make a few runs to the parts store, new front rotors and extending the brake lines and bleeding. And we're not even mechanics. I'm not a mathamatician either but 15 hours x $70 is only $1050.

Keep looking.

It took me about 6 hours, and I did not do the caster. Do it yourself. It's easy. Just don't break any bolts...

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=2;threadid=10964;start=msg98484#msg98484 date=1075827962]
I emailed a 4x4 connection
[/quote]

Isn't that Junk's favorite place? ???

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=10964;start=msg98502#msg98502 date=1075830164]
Isn't that Junk's favorite place? ???
[/quote]

yep, and they quoted the Junk special pricing!

what a bunch of Bullcrap! 10-15 hours? that must be including the brakes they take to smoke crack!

Yep....do it yourself. It's easy easy easy, and then just have a shop press in the caster bushings.

Great way to spend 4 hours and a twelve pack...do hit your shock mount bolts with PB Blaster or similar stuff a couple of days prior to the job. Don't break those bolts.

I called a local 4x4 shop and I think they quoted 8hrs - although I think they were willing to do it for less (ie that wasn't a book rate). I also found a local mechanic that does all of his work by the 'true hour' vs book rate and lets you watch and learn. Depending on my timing and place to do it, I would consider this (say 5hrs * C$70/hr ~ C$350 + parts) given the problem I know I'll have with rust, no air tools, need for a press, etc.

Cheers, Hugh

Maybe James thought you were talking about a leaf-sprung Cruiser. It's more time-consuming to swap springs and shocks on those.

Except for caster correction, this is as easy as falling off a bike :rolleyes:

Those guys are taking advantage of you BIGTIME. :flipoff2:

And this is coming from a, well, a dealer :flipoff2:

damn thats crazy- just bought my lift kit and i am still waiting for it too arrive- 1000-1500, they are tripping big time-i would rather do it myself

Rob,

My local toyota dealer did my installation :-[ (intimidated by the long loved newly acquired LC; despite the fact that I could r&r on the self leveling suspension on my MBZ myself) - no caster kit since it's a low lift. They charged me 4 hours to do the job (2hrs per axle - that includes new shocks & springs). I did have to come back the next day though since the mechanic did not get my notes for proper springs side :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm guessing you're around the bay area - it's Piercey Toyota in San Jose if you decide to drive a little.

Regards,
Frank.

[glow=black,2,2] I had a Toyota Dealership complete my OME installation :flipoff2: . The Service manager quoted me a price based on the price of doing the suspension on a Tundra , as my Canadian dealership doesn't have pricing for Land Cruisers . Later that day my wife and I pulled up to the dealership in the 4Runner , and were chatting when the service manager walked out and began chatting us up . He concluded by stating that they had not accurately quoted the job , and that we would have to pick it up the next day ... I guess the front was giving them a harder time than they had anticipated in the alloted timeframe . Anyhow , he also smiled and said that he would stick to the quote he gave me !! Is that service , or what ??

I don't remember feeling a 'sting' when I paid the bill , so I imagine it was below $350 USD . When it comes to my cruiser , because I don't have a garage , and am not surrounded by cruiserheads , I always take it to the Dealership ... whom I trust above anyone else .

:cheers: [/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

hey. thanks alot i would love to try and do it myself. also please dont be very angry at 4x4 connection. b/c that price sounds so wrong it is possible it could be human error, typo or just bad communication between both of us. but thanks.and i am getting a quote right now from a guy with a shop who is big into cruisers to fix my CDL and install a lift. thanks again

Hey, if you are in thed bay area you should check out Gary Kardum at Mudrak's....now he's a cruiser mechanic....and serious 4 wheeler, He'll set you up right the first time. he is in Sonoma mudraks.com

:eek: That's way too much $$$$! I got mine installed by a trusted local mechanic, did the casters and all $300. I wish i would have done it myself, just didn't have big enough jacks or jack stands.

Look up some Cruiserheads in your area and bribe them with libations. I remember some guys on the LCML having competitions to see who could get their lifts on fastest. Morgan got his on in like 2 hours or something absurd.

Looks like you have it taken care of but for $1000. I would fly there and put it on for you :D. Took me two hours using hand tools and an Audi quattro jack to get the front springs in.

[glow=red,2,300]DO IT YOURSELF YA PUZZY![/glow] :D ;)

Seriously,
When i put on my OME's..i didnt know JACK s***E about anything cruiser related. They came in a box from Slee and I went out into the street..yes the street as where i was living then i had only street parking! ALL I USED to get those coils on were some cheap tools i bought at auto zone, the STOCK JACK, and 2 sets of coil spring compressors :D..(i managed to bend one set on the ome's!).

It took me 5 hours to do all four...and i must reiterate...back then i didnt know s***E about cruisers.

If i did it again..i could prob do it in a few hours...and i WOLDNT use the coil compressors~!

That A-hole is charging you WAY WAY TOO MUCH.

later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom