OME heavy spring install....WTF!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CS 0005F, cs0005r/a on driver and /b on passenger.
CS 0005F, cs0005r/a on driver and /b on passenger.
Thanks.

IMG_20200509_123645.jpg

IMG_20200509_123641.jpg

IMG_20200509_123621.jpg

IMG_20200509_123612.jpg

CS005 are the 'extra-heavy' springs. It's what I have on mine.

Looks good to me.... Other than the front Military wrap should be on the fixed side. Mil wrap is supposed to be a 'safety feature' so if the main spring breaks, you still have the wrap holding it on ...

What do they mean by 'bottoming out'?

CS005 are the 'extra-heavy' springs. It's what I have on mine.

Looks good to me.... Other than the front Military wrap should be on the fixed side. Mil wrap is supposed to be a 'safety feature' so if the main spring breaks, you still have the wrap holding it on ...

What do they mean by 'bottoming out'?
Yes, they are swapping the fronts so that the wrap/arrow points to the fixed/center of vehicle. I have no idea if po altered the ds but they showed me and I should have taken a pic at the shop. They pulled the ds and measured yoke to yoke. With the vehicle on all four wheels. Gotta love the PO sometimes 😉. I would include that s*** with the sale of a vehicle but that's soooooo 2019....

I'm still confused as to how you put lift springs on a truck and all of a sudden the driveshaft is too long. (??)

Is that correct?
Yes. I replaced a worn out, much older, man a fre? Safari?. The rear woul squat and hit bump stops, etc. Maybe the PO altered the ds as a cheaper solution to replacing the springs at some point? I can say that I did have to replace the ujoint on the rear drive shaft side. They measured the yokes at 41.5 inches with the vehicle fully supporting its own weight. I will measure the ds when I get it from the trunk of the car tomorrow. I am going to say that it will measure longer than that. I will report back. I am paid up to the shop at $550 out the door for the install. I provided all the parts. Of course for that money, I can only drive it in 4hi/lol with hubs locked....am I missing anything?

Look at the rear driveshaft tube close and tell us if it tapers down from the middle to where it’s welded. If it is, it hasn’t been lengthened.

if the tube has no taper at all, most likely it has been altered.

Look at the rear driveshaft tube close and tell us if it tapers down from the middle to where it’s welded. If it is, it hasn’t been lengthened.

if the tube has no taper at all, most likely it has been altered.
Thanks, I will look at it tomorrow.

This sounds pretty confusing or a shop didn’t understand the suspension. Take the rig somewhere else next time. Just for reference, ARB specifies that North American models do not require A/B fitment. A’s provide more lift (rake) than B’s (level), speaking front to rear. Obviously will depend on the vehicle, but generally speaking the springs should match.

This sounds pretty confusing or a shop didn’t understand the suspension. Take the rig somewhere else next time. Just for reference, ARB specifies that North American models do not require A/B fitment. A’s provide more lift (rake) than B’s (level), speaking front to rear. Obviously will depend on the vehicle, but generally speaking the springs should match.
I will get the ds from my son in the am and measure it. Removing the zerk from the slip joint had no effect according to them. I am as baffled as anyone based on all of the reading about OME installs and such. Will look at the ds tomorrow and post pics. Hopefully it will be aparant as to if a po altered the ds.

Ive got same springs with no shortening of the DS. That sounds like it is strange.

You need to get a second opinion

that sticker on the drive shaft should give you some hints. Unless that is the shop where you had the suspension installed, that looks like Austin Drive Train had their hands on it before. maybe they can tell you if they did something.

your measuring tape is a little hard to interpret. I would think you would measure with the flanges perpendicular to the long axis of shaft. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it might measure 41.5 inches.

you should also check that the spring pin is actually installed so you know axles are installed to the proper location on the springs.

But first...does the zerk fitting even look like it was removed? And you might as well remove it and see if your shaft can get any shorter.

Good luck.

1589232662241.png

Looks like a sharpie marking on the sticker indicating 41.5", not sure what the OEM length is.

Just from my garage floor experience on a 1st time OME install in December, I had my rear axle ratchet strapped and it would not budge......I removed the zerk and it shot out of the drive shaft like a bullet bouncing all over the place, right behind it was a growing snake of grease. The shaft shortened alot. Make sure the front has more leafs than the back. (but that is going by the light medium setup i have)

Yes, I had the ds serviced there last year. Going to drop it off again as soon as I get the new ujoints from Marlin crawler in the mail. The shop that did the suspension measured and wrote the 41.5 on the ds for the ds shop to have a reference. The ds was measured at Almost 43. It does look to have been altered at some point and I will ask their opinion when I drop it off.

@cruiseroutfit any ideas would be helpful. Tia

Did these springs come from us? What is your invoice number? We are often without phone coverage for a minute during the lunch hour, leave a message when prompted and we get back to them asap, always by the end of the day.

This should help with all your questions:

Screenshot_20200511-221952_Chrome.jpg

The short end of the spring aka the side with the military wrap is the center. 100% they will fit that way.

Further investigation, it looks like a single front CS005F leaf spring came from us? The other three springs must have come from someone else?

I questioned it initially as we don't regularly do an A/B rear spring setup unless the vehicle has some needs for that.

Further investigation, it looks like a single front CS005F leaf spring came from us? The other three springs must have come from someone else?

I questioned it initially as we don't regularly do an A/B rear spring setup unless the vehicle has some needs for that.
Yeah all good. The PO included the other springs in the sale of the vehicle.

so on the rear springs how does the length from spring eye to center pin compare between old lift springs and new? were they really 1.5" longer, and if so that will make a noticeable difference to how the axle centers in the wheel well.

DS grease can harden so it may not want to come back out the grease nipple hole. that said if that DS really is at 43" and you measure needing 41.5" then there is a problem because it looks like less than 1" left for compression before that collar of the slip joint bottoms out on the DS.

Also it might be my imagination but the yokes on that DS look maybe 1 spline out of phase.

Good luck. reminds me why I don't have others work on my stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom