OME Heavies, Finally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OME Heavies oops, they're "J's", Finally

Well, BFletch was selling some OME heavies and caster corrections for the right price, So..... I had to buy them. :D

Really, I needed some new springs as the old originals with nearly 200,ooo miles on them were worn out. Even with the new shocks, they were soft, and felt unstable on the road. Seemed even worse after the new shocks.

I just took a round trip of about 700 miles this past weekend. My wife has always hated every truck I've ever owned... wel even the old Honda sports cars I owned too... Well she basically said that there hasn'e been a single vehicle that I've owned since we met, that she has lliked.... Until the cruiser :D

We were going to visit some friends in Atlanta for the weekend. We always take the Sienna on long trips. Well, my daughter had an accident, Tee Tee, in the seat, which my wife waited a few days to clean up. Asked me to see what I could do, as we were about to leave on a trip. Oh MY!! The worst smelling vehicle I've ever even tried to get in. Wow! really bad!. I told here, no way to clean in time for the trip. Have to take the Cruiser. She relented, but we were soon on the way. Nice trip down, set the cruise, girls watched there TV's I had the IPOD playing, and my wife had her lap top happily plugged into my dash mounted converter. That night we wanted to go to a put-put course. Well the friends Honda mini van only held 7 passengers.... The cruiser holds 8. So we piled in, and off we went. The whole weekend was cruising the city with the navigation guiding us, and 8 comfortable passengers. They were all very impressed with it's excellent ride.

So, on the way home, my wife said, "honey, you finally have a vehicle that I can live with". Rides well, plenty of room. "I really like it" , she said. All those vehicles that you always altered, well they were just messed up after that. Never comfortable. "I'm so glad you left this one stock... :D

well, I had just put an OME Heavy lift on it. And well the 33's weren't stock, and I know the 4:88's aren't stock either.

So, OME, you rock. My Cruiser buds, all the info you've given me here has kept my wife happy. That makes me happy too. I can't believe how well this thing rides with the OME lift. Even with the stink bug (I'll fix that soon), she handles well.

I got 5.5"es of lift in the rear, and about 4"es of lift in the front. That ought to tell you how much the old springs had settled.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it man...I'm glad you were able to find a good priced set. I'm thoroughly impressed with my heavies as well...sounds like we netted about the same amount of lift...mine was more like 4" in front, and about 4.5" in the rear. My 200k mile stock springs must have done a little better than yours from the sounds of it.

Can't wait to see the pictures. By the way, I got eerily similar comments from my wife about the truck after the install as well ;) The 1" Slee spacer that came with my used kit really helped to eliminate 99% of that stinkbug look...I'm sure when I add a bumper, it's going to sag more...but I hope to be able to cure that with the added weight of a Slee rear tire carrier around the same time as the front ARB or Slee bumper goes on in the coming months. Still have yet to make a decision on which that will be....again, congrats on the new found ride characteristics and height of your 80!

Dave.

Hey do you guys have any idea what your heights were before you put on the heavies. I have heard that FJ80's sit a bit higher than FZJ80's but I think mine may have been bought with a litft already. I run stock suspension (as far as I know) and 33's. It just seems higher than most other 80's I see aorund town. Just wondering though. Anyway, congrats on the lift.

Pictures added

Well, I thought they were heavies, ended up being 'J's, just as BFletch said they were. I thought those were the heavies. So... Unfortunately more lift than I expected.... :D I really LOVE htese springs. Excellent on the road, flexy off the road. Need some room as the shocks are stock length.

Here is a teaser pic or two. I'm in ROTW this next week.

The only wheelin' as of late. We are building a house, so little time for anything else. Power pole is a temp line, will be gone before my house is finished.

From the top of a dirt mound looking at footers and a lifted Cruiser...
CIMG2356.jpg

Get to see that Beefy Yota front diff now...

CIMG2364.jpg

One more from the side...

CIMG2365.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom