OME center pin nut torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Popping in longer center pins in my front springs (needed for the caster shims), and I looked up the center pin nut torque in the FSM and it calls for 36 ft-lbs of torque on the factory leaf spring pack. Last time I tried to go to that high with aftermarket spring pins, the threads stripped at not even 20 ft-lbs. So I'm curious if there's a different torque value recommended for OME springs. I have them at 15 ft-lbs right now before putting the U-bolt plates back on (they're at powder coat right now) and that feels like more than plenty, especially given that the spring pack is held together even more tightly by the U-bolts and plates.

Edit: After searching around with no luck I put my 3/8" ratchet (to avoid overtorquing) on em and put them to German torque. Gutentite.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m in the 12 pound range and never had a problem with my various cruisers. Seems like they would come loose but they don’t. Mike

The center pin is for alignment of the spring only. I broke a center pin a while back doing exactly what you were, going for the 36 ft lbs. I just installed additional leafs up front on my OME light medium setup and using a C clamp as tight as you can get springs, just tighten the pin nut tight, don't go crazy. The U-bolts hold everything together under tension once they are on and torqued. If the nut falls off the bottom there is no way for the pin to come out!

The center pin is for alignment of the spring only. I broke a center pin a while back doing exactly what you were, going for the 36 ft lbs. I just installed additional leafs up front on my OME light medium setup and using a C clamp as tight as you can get springs, just tighten the pin nut tight, don't go crazy. The U-bolts hold everything together under tension once they are on and torqued. If the nut falls off the bottom there is no way for the pin to come out!
Exactly the logic I was using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom