OME bushing squish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My OME Lift has about 3k miles on it. While changing the oil last night, I noticed the rear drivers side bushing was pressed up against the outer piece of the spring hanger. The inner bushing definitely had more space.

Is this normal? I assume it is and I don't think there is any adjustment for this.

Bushing are very greased.

image-2432825525.jpg

Yep its normal. In the sense they should not do that.

The spring eye has a metal insert. The metal insert stays in place nicely and the spring slides around and destroys the bushing.

I've seen recommendations of "oval-ing" them out with a vice and then pressing them in or tac welding them together to eliminate the problem.

It's on my list... :wrench:

You can try loosening the U-Bolts, shifting the spring pack then re-torque the U-bolts ...about 100 ft/lb.

I could do that. I need to recheck the torque anyways. I suppose it can't move too much because of the spring centering pin that slips in to the bottom of the axle.

Well, it's not normal, but it's common, 'cuz the install directions are vague or people just bolt up the springs without thinking or reading about it too much - not saying you did that, just saying why it seems to be a common issue.

If you haven't seen it, Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters.com has a tech section where he describes what lcwizard is suggesting, as a means to improve the spring orientation to the axle housing and help reduce or eliminate the 'spring walking' you're experiencing. Dunno if you did that or not on the initial install. That and staking the eye insert seems to take care of it. I did it on the initial install of a couple of 60s and have not seen any issues with the bushings. And lots of grease, though some people disagree with greasing anything in the springs.

:meh:

Reading this with some dismay as I just put on an OME kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Now I wonder should I pull the springs back off, an arduous process in and of itself, and tack weld the sleeve to the spring. Pulling them out and crushing them a bit does not sound like a good solution to me at all; certainly not good mechanical practice to deliberately mess up a part that is supposed to be round, not oval. OME/ARB needs to get their act together on this issue.

The eyelet insert is there because it's easier (cheaper) to have the insert at proper specs than to make the spring steel meet specs, I'm guessing. I wouldn't crush them because then you might transfer some of the movement from metal/bush to metal/metal. Either tack or stake them.

But again, if the springs are installed perpendicular and flat to the axle housing, and your frame is true, then there does not seem to be an issue and no need to mess with the insert - as lcwiz, said.

I understand the comment about crushing the metal sleeve and have read Kurt's write up on it. No I did not crush the sleeves on my springs. I do not believe what is happening on my truck is a result of the sleeve "walking" though...

Tack or staking would probably be best methods.

Where is the best place to stake them? The only way I can picture it in my head would be where the leave ends but that wouldn't really prevent side to side movement. Only rotational.

I'm kinda peeved about that. Stock springs didn't have the problem.

I've tried the ratchet strap thing. Didn't work for me. Although I probably did it wrong :bang:

Sorry, but it's absolutely preposterous that these springs are sold with a known defect that's left to the buyer to remedy--even when brand new.

Sorry, but it's absolutely preposterous that these springs are sold with a known defect that's left to the buyer to remedy--even when brand new.

It's absolutely preposterous that a 4.2 liter engine should only make 125 HP and still get only 11 MPG but you bought that didn't you? Relax, it's a small thing, easy to fix.

Fwiw, those tech notes are quite a few years old and the stake or 'oval' it method ONLY apply to those having springs problems which should have been long since resolved. It is 100% that some of the early Dakar springs (with bushing eye inserts) did have some problems with them sliding. I've not seen nor dealt with it for 2-3 years if not longer? OME immediately fixed the problem with the manufacturing progress and subsequent springs were problem free

As for the OP, this doesn't look like a spring sleeve issue from my angle. Looks like your suspension is either slightly bound one direction or you need to simply loosen your u-bolts, center the leaf (there is a small amount of play with the u-bolt plate/housing) and re-torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom