OME BP-51 OWNERS...... ROLL CALL......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where do you have your setting set and why?

Compression
Dampening
Springs
and
Such

I want good high and low speed bump compliance while maintaining a degree of sportiness in handling.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm going to be adjusting the rears next weekend (just toke off the RTT), so I'll look and let you know after.

That must've been some spliff

OK, here you go

Front Compression 1 rebound 6
rear Compression 1 rebound 4
ARB recommend Front rebound 2 points higher than back. I went to full comfort.
rear spring OME 2721

Front Compression 1 rebound 8
rear Compression 1 rebound 6
2070 springs

Going to increase both 1 notch when I get time.

Well...... I guessed where I might prefer the compression and dampening since the suspension was being installed before/while I was getting answers.

First off, the system should be named OMG-51 instead of BP-51. The ride transformation is unbelievable. Fascinating. Grin inducing. And all that stuff.

I did not go with any lift but did have the front end adjusted (lifted) to level out the front/rear. The additional height is minimal, but its negative impact on my mental is maximal. Initially, I though there had been a mistake; the entire truck had somehow been lifted. Sitting in the truck only cemented this "feeling." After a while, I got comfortable that no overall lift had occurred and determined it was the small front lift causing me to maybe view the hood at a slightly different angle. Dunno... or maybe the feels came from driving the wife's Vinza most of the day.

So.

I can't believe how this thing drives now. Only asphalt driving so far, this thing corners better than stock. I found myself looking for potholes to run through. That's where the suspension is really shining. We have speed humps in our neighborhood. Nothing to them now, at speed. Positive impression so far. Will have a chance for some good washboard dirt road turns and similar at the farm this weekend.

Looks good leveled out.

My settings:
Front Comp 3 Rebound 8
Rear Comp 3 Rebound 7
Springs OME 2721

None stock additional weight: ARB Drawers

Well...... I guessed where I might prefer the compression and dampening since the suspension was being installed before/while I was getting answers.

First off, the system should be named OMG-51 instead of BP-51. The ride transformation is unbelievable. Fascinating. Grin inducing. And all that stuff.

I did not go with any lift but did have the front end adjusted (lifted) to level out the front/rear. The additional height is minimal, but its negative impact on my mental is maximal. Initially, I though there had been a mistake; the entire truck had somehow been lifted. Sitting in the truck only cemented this "feeling." After a while, I got comfortable that no overall lift had occurred and determined it was the small front lift causing me to maybe view the hood at a slightly different angle. Dunno... or maybe the feels came from driving the wife's Vinza most of the day.

So.

I can't believe how this thing drives now. Only asphalt driving so far, this thing corners better than stock. I found myself looking for potholes to run through. That's where the suspension is really shining. We have speed humps in our neighborhood. Nothing to them now, at speed. Positive impression so far. Will have a chance for some good washboard dirt road turns and similar at the farm this weekend.

Looks good leveled out.

My settings:
Front Comp 3 Rebound 8
Rear Comp 3 Rebound 7
Springs OME 2721

None stock additional weight: ARB Drawers
It is an amazing system. Have had my BP-51 set up for about 1.5 years and still love it..

OK. Its been 6 weeks. Any more impressions to share? I'm wondering if it will help with wash board roads and with towing. What exactly is it that makes the BP-51 system different/better? (I've never changed suspensions systems.)

OK. Its been 6 weeks. Any more impressions to share? I'm wondering if it will help with wash board roads and with towing. What exactly is it that makes the BP-51 system different/better? (I've never changed suspensions systems.)

-Compression and rebound rates are easily adjustable to suit your preference or driving needs...
-Front coil-overs have enough preload adjustability to handle any front end weight (stock, bumper/winch, etc.)
-Handles both small bumps off-road at speed as well as absorbs big, hard hits with ease.
-Truly great at the big, one-sided hit at speed...even while turning. Just soaks stuff up.

Down side: The rear rock guards seem designed to fall off...

Has anyone noticed that the front struts cluck a little when the compression is set really low, like 1? If not I may have had a swaybar end link go bad.

New setting:
F: C5-R9
R: C5-R8

Has anyone noticed that the front struts cluck a little when the compression is set really low, like 1? If not I may have had a swaybar end link go bad.

New setting:
F: C5-R9
R: C5-R8

I, too, have the BP-51s and an annoying clunk.

To try to identify my clunk, I replaced my sway bar end links (read somewhere they are not reusable part?), but clunk is still there. Interestingly, I think the clunk initially was better after lowering vehicle off the jack stands and driving, but it returned quickly.

I, too, have firmed up my compression and found that it does help, but not eliminate, the clunk (although I haven't driven much since jacking up, adjusting and lowering). Not sure where I will go from here.

Anyone else with experience in regards to this, please chime in.

I've had both BP-51s and Icons. My opinion is completely toward the icons, much easier to setup, preload wise, as it can be done on the truck. And adjusting compression/dampening is far easier on the trail, than the BPs.

Both set ups can end up being the same, just icons are far easier to get there.

I've had both BP-51s and Icons. My opinion is completely toward the icons, much easier to setup, preload wise, as it can be done on the truck. And adjusting compression/dampening is far easier on the trail, than the BPs.

Both set ups can end up being the same, just icons are far easier to get there.

Are the Icons any cheaper?

Interestingly, I think the clunk initially was better after lowering vehicle off the jack stands and driving, but it quickly returned

Yep. I have noticed the same thing. Has driven me nuts

No, icons are more expensive, but deals show up every November/December that make them much closer to BPs

Do they have the same service life as the OME? I gave Icon a call and it does seem much easier to adjust. They told me they recommend rebuilding shocks every 40-50k miles. I am forgetting what the OME were.

Do they have the same service life as the OME? I gave Icon a call and it does seem much easier to adjust. They told me they recommend rebuilding shocks every 40-50k miles. I am forgetting what the OME were.
Yea know, while one has an internal bypass and the other working off an IFP, they are not much different. I've had a single Icon 2.5 shock only make it 7,000 miles once, but I had 4 others go over 80,000. I had an OME emulsion shock go one trail run and blow, and have had 8 of those go into the 6 digits on the odometer. I think they are very comparable. I just think ride quality really comes from individuals tuning their suspensions to their needs, both do it well, icon just does it much easier, but BPs are cheaper.

Reckless........... I'd say that neither are "cheap" or one "cheaper."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom