OME 863 vs 864 (finishing the perfect 80) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Today was the day to finally get around to replacing my 863's with 864's. I usually pack a LOT of weight and I bang the arse end on a regular basis. :doh:

Background:
OME 863's are "good for" 200kg additional weight over their standard spring, that equals 440 lbs over here and the 864's are good for a whopping 400kg (880 lbs) over standard.

As the tongue weight of my boat approaches 300 lbs and we typically stuff the back of the vehicle with 2 gigantic ice chests and tools, ETC and I pack addititional fuel, the 863's are marginal at best.

Findings:

Ground to bottom-of-rear-flare measurements netted a gain of 1.25 inches of lift OVER the 863's........ :)

In order to see how much weight it would take to get the vehicle back to where it was with the 863's I started stacking full .30 caliber ammo cans on the tail gate..... :grinpimp: It took 5,640 rounds of M2 Ball (430 lbs) to drop the vehicle back down that 1.25 inch gain.

Interesting. It takes about 200 kg to get the 864's down to the height of the 863's, exactly the ammount of additional weight the 864 is supposed to handle.... ;)
5640rounds.jpg

Where and when is the war you are going to fight with all that ammo? robbie

I shoot High-power Service rifle. Each match consumes 88 rounds. In addition there is a bit of practice.

I participate in two matches a month so that does not go as far as you may think..:D

Last edited:
thanks for the data point Dan, I will definitely go to 864s if I ever decide I need to keep a quarter ton of .30 caliber shells back there :D. I also just want to observe that there aren't many vehicles out there where you would balance that much live ammunition on the tailgate without a second thought.

now plse go fire off those rounds then take a shot from the side. this thread is useless without photos of the super stink bug look :D.

Dan, you know you will never be finished.

cruiserdan said:
I shoot High-power Service rifle. Each match consumes 88 rounds. In addition there is a bit of practice.

I participate in two matches a month so that does not go as far as you may think..:D

note to self..........never think you can run away from dan and think you're safe..... :D .

Thanks Dan!

I have the 864's. I just need to put my Long Ranger Tank in to hopefully level things out....Or....find a bunch of ammo.

Hmmmmmmm

:D

holy s*** dan :eek: you have a lot of faith in your tailgate

Thats what im saying.... strong tailgate!

blupaddler said:
Thanks Dan!

I have the 864's. I just need to put my Long Ranger Tank in to hopefully level things out....Or....find a bunch of ammo.

Hmmmmmmm

:D

A full Long-ranger will weigh over 300 lbs. So add a rear bumper, armor and some trail gear and you are easily in 864 territory.
When I first test-installed this set of springs some time ago I did it with a stock rear bumper, no trail box, stock shocks and an otherwise empty vehicle. We had a helluva time compressing the springs far enough to re-attach the shocks (stock has about 1 1/2 inch less travel than OME). When we put the vehicle back on the ground it barely compressed the rear suspension enough to get the shocks off of full extention and it would have been un-driveable like that.

So, it appears that one should only consider the 864 for use in a vehicle that is always packing around at least 3-400 additional pounds of gear/fuel or towing a heavy trailer. It would probably ride poorly in an un-loaded vehicle and would likely need L-shocks to prevent shock damage from full extention.

D-

Jerome3 said:
holy s*** dan :eek: you have a lot of faith in your tailgate

The tail gate is lined with a 1/4 inch thick sheet of tempered 6061 aluminum. That plate alone weighs 23 lbs. The gate easily supports a static, well distributed, load like that but it is not a diving board....... ;)

In stock form the lower center area of the gate is very susceptable to bending, even when kneeling on the gate in the center. This plate solves that problem nicely.

cruiserdan said:
I bang the arse end on a regular basis. :doh:

Let's hear more on this?! :D

I put the j's on tomorrow. I think it is going to be a rough ride for a while as I am not as of yet carying more weight in the rear and I haven't been doing any "arse banging" lately.

He will be finished when he swaps in a turbo diesel and a standard.

That's really not very much ammo. We used to take at least 30,000 rounds for machine gun shoots. My Ford Excursion hauls alot more than my LC. Wish I had a pic to share.....

LandCruiserPhil said:
Dan what is the "perfect 80's" weight?

Perfect 80 my arse................................. :flipoff2:

Oh chit was I actually typeing. :doh:

LandCruiserPhil said:
Dan what is the "perfect 80's" weight?

Very close to 6,500 lbs at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom