OME 861/862 w/ ARB Bumper & Winch: Do I need trim packers in front?

New guy here. I've enjoyed reading your postings and have a question: I'm putting the OME 861/862 springs (a bit over stock) on my 1995 80 series. I already have an ARB front bumper and 8000 # warn winch. Do I need to put any trim packers up front? I prefer the look of a level rig, but I'm okay with a small amount of rake, and looking to do what's right for the rig. OME calls the front 861 a heavy duty coil, made to accommodate the bumper and winch, and calls it a 1/4" lift. The rear 862 is medium duty and OME calls it a 3/4" lift. It seems all their other kits have the same lift measurement front and rear, but this one shows the front a 1/2" less lift. So, do I need to throw in some 10mm trim packers to make up for this or? It'll be an occasional or daily driver for my wife. Probably not a lot of 4x4ing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Website
www.cardomain.com
I would go ahead and add a full 1" spacer. I started out with 851/862 and got a level stance. There's a thread under my user name titled "level lift done" or somthing to that affect. Check it out and look at the pics. The 851 is a medium 2" lift spring and I had no winch.

Welcome:flipoff2:

I have the same springs with an ARB and 12k Warn. I had to use the 1" spacers from Slee (part# SOF1077 - $45.00 /pr) to get a level stance and was still a 1/2" low in front. Without the spacer it looked really "stinkbugged". All this was done before I added the aux fuel tank. Now it's about perfect with a full tank of fuel.

Rethink and do the 850/860.
2.5" lift.

He speaks the truth. I started with 861/862's and a year later stepped up to the 850/860's. Haven't looked back since.

To answer your question on my rig with 861/862's and an ARB (no winch) my lift was dead even. Maybe I got a freak set of springs, but I would think with a winch you will definitely have some drop in the front.

You might install the springs first and see where you are at and go from there. A little extra labor on your part, but you will know exactly what you need.

SoCal FZJ80

Happy to be Alive!
Website
www.extremelandcruiser.com
850's/860's

I would also recommend the 850/860 combo over adding the packers if you haven't already put your springs in. :cheers:

I had 861/862 combo on mine and it had a perfect stance for a stocker. I'd definitely add a spacer (1") if I had the ARB and winch. Stay this route if you don't want to mess with caster corrections.

Like others have said, you may also want to look at the 850/860 option. I'm riding on 851/860 combo at the moment (just for poser look :) ) and could not be happier (till I had an ARB bar or a winch - it never ends)

Why not go 851/862? No spacer need then...

Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks for the ideas. I had already purchased the 861/862's and OME nitro sport shocks, so I went with them. Turns out my rig already had 10mm trim packers up front, so I just re-used them. Rig looks and handles great. Measurements are dead-even side to side, and my rear is just 1/4" higher than the front. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again for the help!

pics???????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom