OME 861/862 owners - what shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had the OME 861/862 springs with Bilstein 4600 shocks on my truck since 2/11, about 15k miles.

Over the last month the ride has degraded, becoming very "bouncy." The truck will continue to rock and bounce after hitting a bump. Feels like the shocks aren't controlling the ride any more.

I am wondering if the Bilsteins aren't up to the higher spring rate of the OME's.

No leaks on the shocks that I can see and everything is tight.

It's bad enough I'm going to have to try something.

What other shocks are people running? Stock LC Tokicos, OME sports? Are you happy with them?

Anyone else had problems with the Bilsteins?

I've had the OME 861/862 springs with Bilstein 4600 shocks on my truck since 2/11, about 15k miles.

Over the last month the ride has degraded, becoming very "bouncy." The truck will continue to rock and bounce after hitting a bump. Feels like the shocks aren't controlling the ride any more.

I am wondering if the Bilsteins aren't up to the higher spring rate of the OME's.

No leaks on the shocks that I can see and everything is tight.

It's bad enough I'm going to have to try something.

What other shocks are people running? Stock LC Tokicos, OME sports? Are you happy with them?

Anyone else had problems with the Bilsteins?

The newer OME NitroCharger Sport's you would typically get with the 861/862 springs like we both have work great.. firm but not too firm... supposedly the older Nitrochargers were too floaty. Overall I am very happy with the OME Nitrocharger Sports

I am very curious about this topic as well so I've seen a lot of posts about it. Theres a good amount of people running procomp es9000s

The newer OME NitroCharger Sport's you would typically get with the 861/862 springs like we both have work great.. firm but not too firm... supposedly the older Nitrochargers were too floaty. Overall I am very happy with the OME Nitrocharger Sports

i second the ome nitrocharger sports are awesome with those springs. i just got mine on and love them:beer:

Thanks for the feedback.

Was just shopping the Nitrocharger sports online, $400 for a set, yikes, didn't realize they were so expensive.

Greentruck is running the Nitrocharger sports in front and the OEM Tokico's in the rear and is happy with the combo.

That would be a $250 combo.

I'll have to give this some thought.

I also got a recommendation to play with the tire pressures on my Duratracs. I'm going to do that first.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^
;)

The combination of OME Nitro Sports in front and OEM Tokicos in back has worked really well for me. On the road and around town, it just works without being obtrusive. I don't even think about shocks -- or the suspension as a whole -- with things set-up this way.

Mind you, we've only done limited testing on the trail with the trailer. With the rig fully loaded, the suspension issue we had is too much squat in back on the 80, so I do plan on adding a pair of air bags to get things sitting pretty. The trails we ran in the Michigan UP were nowhere near Colorado, so it's possible that those may show issues, but everything shock-wise was fine in the limited trail time we had in the UP. Because of the squat, we took things easier than we would have, so I just wanted to put in that caveat. I really expect this won't be an issue once the airbags are on, though.

But if you're not sweating any towing, the mismatch shock combo works fine and I don't hesitate to recommend it for any rig running the 861/862 coils with weight distributed as on ours.

I'm using the OEM Tokicos and they are working just fine, and under $100 for the whole set. :clap:
I have some added weight from my custom front bumper, but I haven't noticed any issues because of it.

Mike

I'm using the OEM Tokicos and they are working just fine, and under $100 for the whole set. :clap:
I have some added weight from my custom front bumper, but I haven't noticed any issues because of it.

Mike

Yep, you can't beat the value of the Tokicos. You could spend a lot more and not be near so happy with performance.

I will say that there was no doubt I needed more dampening up front when I had the Tokicos on. It was, not wild, but disorderly. You could tell things weren't right.

It's a matter of weight as a factor if you're going with the stock height coils. You'll know when you get there, because the truck was really wallowing on the original coils and who knows how old Monroes that were on it as I added new gear.

Coil springs are very weight sensitive. Good until you get to a certain point, then you need more spring. ARB, winch, extra battery and cabling, plus I run steel wheels, so 40 lbs extra flopping up and down on the axle, too. Definitely 861 time, which helped a whole lot, but the shock thing was obvious and needing some tuning.

I'm just partial to OME, if OEM doesn't quite cut the mustard on a LandCruiser, which is rare. Other upgrade shocks may serve just as well, but I have nothing at all to complain about with how the OMEs are working in concert with the Tokicos in the rear. The difference in cost on a rig with this odd shock combo versus 4 premium shocks will buy a lot of beer.:beer:

I don't have the extra weight up front so am tempted to try the Tokicos all around.

If they aren't up to the task, I'm out $50 (maybe less if I can sell them), then move on to the OME's in the front.

You'll be fine with Tokicos all around. Unless you've got something close to the weight you can add up in my sig line, they'll do you right.

If you do find yourself with a spare set of like new Tokicos, you can get most of the money back be taking to Classifieds here. That's what I did and everyone was happy when it was all over.

Y'all speak of the Tokicos as if you're getting them for $25 per shock or less... where are you doing this? I'm planning to get Tokicos and would love to get a set for less than $100.

Got my Tokicos from CDan and Beno. IIRC, they were around $30/each, but it's been awhile so can't speak to what current cost is. I suspect the Tokicos are still very competitive with any other shock you can buy on cost, plus they're set-up specifically for your LandCruiser.

My issue up front was that I had way over stock weight on the axle:p
No fault of the Tokicos, they just weren't dialed in with enough oomph to deal with the extra baggage.

I've got a brand new set in wrappers avail - sell for 140 shipped..... current CDan pricing was 165 to my door.... I decided with my new ARN abd Engo and misc things that i'd better step up.... so a 2" Ironman Kit is on the way.....

Love to get them out of my garage.....

PM for pic or questions. I'm in Houston if anyone is local....

I got mine from gotmud for $106 shipped, but that was over a year ago so I have no idea if he still can get them or what the price is.

Mike

Update - I haven't driven the truck much this summer. Had it out over the weekend and noticed a rattle in the rear. Checked it out when I got home and the passenger rear shock had pulled out of the upper mount. The mount itself is fine, the upper washer and bushing are gone. The nut is still on the shock.?.?

All I can figure is that the nut must have pulled through the washer.

I have the shock out and it feels fine, lots of pressure to compress, then extends smoothly.

New washers and bushings on order from Toyota.

Embarassed that my quick "check" of the suspension missed this the first go around. The shock must have sat in the upper mount while unattached for a while.

I can vouch for what green truck said. I have the 861/862 combo with daily new OEM tokico shocks and couldn't be happier. I have no extra weight yet, however and plan on taking his advice and stepping up to OME shocks when I get my bumper and rack/tent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom