OME 860 with 30mm spacers or OME 863? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '96 HDJ80 with ARB front bumper, ARB side rails, Piak rear steel bumper, aluminum roof rack. Factory tire carrier with 33" tire on the rear door. OME 851/860 with front and rear MAF 30mm spacers. It just had a very slight stinkbug which I was fine with since it levels out nicely when it's loaded. A couple of weeks ago I replaced the Piak rear bumper with the ARB modular rear bumper. It was heavier and sagged the rear which made my front sit just a little higher. On the plus side, the ride was better with the extra weight in the back. So today I replaced the front 851 and 30mm spacer with the 850 with no spacer and lost half an inch. It sits pretty level now. I was wondering if I should ditch the 860 and spacers in the rear and replace them with the 863? Which of the two would sit higher? Ride better?

The 860 has a spring rate of 220lbs & the 863 is 250lbs.
The 863 will be a firmer ride & carry more weight. I would say the 863 would sit a tad higher than a 860 plus 30mm but not buy much.

850 plus a 1" spacer will sit almostnlevel with 863's in the rear. I ran 850J in front (same as 850+1" spacer) and 863 three years ago and it sat slight stinkbug with 150# bumper/winch, sliders, and 250# of rear bumper and spare tire.

I am opposed to spacers.

I just don't get adding deadspacing into your axles (esp the front) aside from running the absolute biggest tire you can & it rubs at stuff/compression.

We buy DC driveshafts, add caster bushings/plates, chase growls/vibes - if I do it, it's going to be active sprung correction.

If we renamed 'stinkbug' as 'hotrod rake' maybe spacers wouldn't sell so well.

IDK, my $.02 - I've ran the OME heavy & Slee 4" hvy/prog hvy & both have some 'stink' until you have ~200# in the cargo, on top of a RR armor bumper.

I am opposed to spacers.

I just don't get adding deadspacing into your axles (esp the front) aside from running the absolute biggest tire you can & it rubs at stuff/compression.

We buy DC driveshafts, add caster bushings/plates, chase growls/vibes - if I do it, it's going to be active sprung correction.

If we renamed 'stinkbug' as 'hotrod rake' maybe spacers wouldn't sell so well.

IDK, my $.02 - I've ran the OME heavy & Slee 4" hvy/prog hvy & both have some 'stink' until you have ~200# in the cargo, on top of a RR armor bumper.
Personally I like the look of a bit of stinkbug...

That being said my current stinkbug status is a bit out of control. Clearly I need to purchase a rear bumper and fast just for that reason alone.

Here's a comparison of before and after the rear bumper switch. It had just a little bit of stinkbug with the lighter bumper. Both photos are with the 851/860 and 30mm spacers front and rear. I also do not like the idea of using thick spacers that can fail, that's why I was thinking of swapping the rear coils with the 863. However, I plan on adding a winch in the near future, so I might have to go with spacers on the front if it sags down the 850 I fitted yesterday :bang:

5FDD2D9F-8498-45F0-9C61-2318963E4F49.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom