OME 3" or 4"? Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
I have done searches and there are alot of ideas out there...:eek:
but it is time to order my lift....I guess Man-A-Fre for the kit, unless there are other suggestions.
Any input on just doing the basic 3" or going for 4" with all of the drop brackets, etc.
I don't want to get much bigger than 33ish tires, for driving on the street and such. I was thinking the BFG A/T.
Vehicle will be mostly expedition, perhaps up over a rock or two when the situation calls for it.
Is the 4" with all of the brackets considered the "correct" way?

Thanks for your help.

I installed the OME "2.5" Heavy/Medium (850/860) kit on my LX. The actual lift seems like much more than the advertised 2.5" (althought I didn't taken before/after measurements).

I like the way it turned out with my 295/75/16's:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=62791

Now I just gotta find time to wheel it! :)

I suggest giving the guys at Slee Offroad a call. They know their stuff inside and out. The 4" set up they have, IMO, is very nice. If I was starting out, I'd go that route.

I currenlty have the OME 2.5. It works okay, but is a bit low for my application. If you are ONLY planning on expedition and not much in the way or rock crawling...the OME or OME J springs might work well for you.

I'm not a big drop bracket fan. Too many bits hanging too low to get caught on too many rocks.

u can run 285's stock if u want to. the 4" lift is like $2k+ (off the top of my head). bang for the buck go with the OME J springs... if ur gonna add some armour, just add some spacers

With no load and no extra armor, 850J(or 850 with a spacer)/863 gives you a nice level 4" lift, only drops needed IMO are sway and bump stop, just extended lines, and castor correction plate and you're good to go. You can fit 35's with this and squeeze 36.5s if you wanted to. The 4" would be better suited for a 35" equipped truck with lots of armor IMHO, and the heavy w/ spacer or J-spring front setup should put you where you'd like to be clearance wise and leave room for upgrades based on what you've said.

Slee's 4" looks great, but if you only want to run 33's, then it might be a little more than you need since it's designed for 4 inches with armor all around and a good bit of gear in the back.

Remember, it's what YOU want and need that will make the final decision, just read up a little more, decide what you're planning on doing in the long run and get what fits that purpose best.

There has been alot of talk about a Slee 4" lift kit (not just this thread), but I haven't been able to find reference to a 4" lift kit or spring on Slee's website, am I just missing it?

NorCalDoug said:
I suggest giving the guys at Slee Offroad a call. They know their stuff inside and out. The 4" set up they have, IMO, is very nice. If I was starting out, I'd go that route.

Cannot find the 4" lift on Slee. Just 2.5 then it jumps to 5".
Am I missing something?

firetruck41 said:
There has been alot of talk about a Slee 4" lift kit (not just this thread), but I haven't been able to find reference to a 4" lift kit or spring on Slee's website, am I just missing it?

Wow! :eek: We posted the exact same thing (almost) at the exact same time...Creepy!

Its not on the website but does exist.

As previously mentioned give Slee a call and discuss it with them.

They'll sell you whatever you need and stand behind it, and yes this has been discussed to death.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel scared to post sometimes for fear that you will be chastised for not researching a question enough?

I have sat up until 2am researching some of these things in the short time I have owned the rig (and I leave for work at 5am).

I know they have been discussed a great deal but sometimes, it is difficult to draw a definitive conclusion (especially for a mechanically challenged guy like myself) and it helps to post because I find things that I may have missed or that relate specifically to my "Ideal Rig".

Please, forgive some repetitious questions whilst getting used to the site and the vehicle.

:)

Slee's 4" is on the new site http://newsite.sleeoffroad.com but wouldnt it be more cost effective to either use Slee's 4" springs and his castor correction plates or OME springs and Man a fre's spring spacers w/ slee's castor correction plates?? And I agree, go easy on us new guys if we ask repetative questions.:)

Whitey (why do I feel like I'm talking to a character on Leave it to Beaver? :D )

I went through the same thing as you. Beyond internet research, I asked trusted, experienced 80's guys.
My advice if you are going to stick w/ 33's is the OME lift or if you go 4", the Slee 4" kit.

One consideration that may/may not affect you is total vehicle height and parking structures. W/ 33's and OME heavies, I'm already holding my breath on many structures... I feel like it is at the limit of MY uses as far as height.

IMO, when you are going 4" on up, you are cutting into daily driver ability for the great offroad capability. In that case, I would think 35's need to be part of that equation-not just the lift. That's just my opinion tho.

It's funny how a OME 2.5 lift looks frickin' huge and tall on the street but pretty avg on the trail... you will get more than 2.5" if you don't have armor...
For what you describe your uses as, I think OME's are the way to go. I think you will be surprised at the capability as I've personally seen Doug (OME 2.5) and the Slee 6" on the Rubicon- I, personally, would stick with these options if you intend to wheel your rig. Again, just one man's opinion.

Whitey said:
I have done searches and there are alot of ideas out there...:eek:
but it is time to order my lift....I guess Man-A-Fre for the kit, unless there are other suggestions.
Any input on just doing the basic 3" or going for 4" with all of the drop brackets, etc.
I don't want to get much bigger than 33ish tires, for driving on the street and such. I was thinking the BFG A/T.
Vehicle will be mostly expedition, perhaps up over a rock or two when the situation calls for it.
Is the 4" with all of the brackets considered the "correct" way?

Thanks for your help.

Man-A-Fre

I'll post pics later tonight of the Man-A-Fre 4" kit with OME springs and dampers. Works great! Took it to Pismo Surf N Turf and it rocked. Don't know the Slee kit, hope to test one in 2006.

Dave

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
I'll post pics later tonight of the Man-A-Fre 4" kit with OME springs and dampers. Works great! Took it to Pismo Surf N Turf and it rocked. Don't know the Slee kit, hope to test one in 2006.

Dave
Yeah, I saw your rig at Surf-n-Turf. Looks like a nice set up. However, before suggesting it someone, I'd like to see how it performs on a really mean and rocky trail like the Rubicon. I've seen people with drop brackets get hung up on lots of stuff while others without drop brackets had no issues.

Large rocks, roots and deep ruts seem to like to reach out and grab drop brackets.

Heya NorCalDoug,

Which rig were you in? We took a ton of pics there...

I'd have to agree with you, as of yet the truck hasn't been tested in rocks. That's on the schedule up here in Washington, with two trips coming up which will put the Pro Comp Mud Terrains to the test as well as the drop bracket kit itself.

That said, it LOOKS pretty good, in the sense that the brackets mount exactly where the OEM mounts were prior to being lifted. Still, we'll have to see. Naturally, I'll report what I find, briefly here and in 4WD Toyota Owner.

Let the acid test begin!

Dave

NorCalDoug said:
However, before suggesting it someone, I'd like to see how it performs on a really mean and rocky trail like the Rubicon. I've seen people with drop brackets get hung up on lots of stuff while others without drop brackets had no issues.

Large rocks, roots and deep ruts seem to like to reach out and grab drop brackets.

I'm with Doug here. On the east coast with the rocks we like to play on I just don't see how dropbrackets would be effective. Unless of course you like to test your winch often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom