OME 2850J Front -- what goes in the rear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best match for OME 2850J's? I installed 2850J springs and 60070L shocks in the front. Cruiser outfitters sold me 2860 springs and 60020 shocks for the rear. I was about to install them, but I had a second look and I'm not sure they would match well.

I'm thinking 2863J springs and 60071L shocks would be better. Am I on the right track here? If these are a bit taller than the front, could a add a 30mm spacer to the front?

The plan is for a Slee shortbus front bumper and winch, a 4x4labs rear bumper, and rock sliders; otherwise I plan to keep it as light as possible.

If you are actually going to keep it "as light as possible" I would run the 860s. The 863J springs will give you a pretty significant rake towards the front. Do a search. There are pleeeeeenty of threads on this topic.

Youve already begun the chase and havent finished install.....

Did you call cruiser outfitters?

When you ordered they are real good to ask how you use your rig and what you want so very likey the 850 was intentional selection.

Id run that one over the 863j rear. The the J in rear will indeed be longer giving you more lift and stinkbug. But instead of adding even more lift to the front to level you can install what you have nOw for level.

More height = more cAstor issues.
35's fit fine on 2.5" lift.
A spring will ride better than spring with a spacer

Regular 863's (not J's) should yield a pretty level lift with 850J fronts. With your weight distribution plans, I think that would be the case.

Conventional wisdom with OME is to step down one level in the rear since, for whatever reason, all OME spring "pairings" were designed to carry a ton of weight in the back.

I have heavies and J Springs right now with a VERy noticeable rake. I had J fronts and rear mediums on a different cruiser and it was almost level - still had some rake. These are/were both "very light" full bodied cruisers.

I have the js in the back too, but I put the 30mm spacer in the front. It sits sort of level for now, but I am carrying lots of crap in there like tools and such while I work on it. Also it is my yard car, so I move things between my 18 wheeler and the garage. I do not have a winch installed though, and I have an aluminum alloy front bumper, so I dont know how much it will squat once I do the Aux Battery, winch plate/winch on the front. I also second talking to @cruiseroutfit he is the Man! Very knowledgeable and great to deal with.
20171015_142459.jpg

A spring will ride better than spring with a spacer

How would a spacer make a difference in the ride?

We always run L shocks.

Do I need to do anything with the rear sway bar with the L shocks?

I have heavies and J Springs right now with a VERy noticeable rake. I had J fronts and rear mediums on a different cruiser and it was almost level - still had some rake. These are/were both "very light" full bodied cruisers.

When you say heavies, you mean 2863 and mediums are 2860?

I don't know why it is so hard for me to figure out these OME springs! There is tons of info, but much of it contradicts. When I bought all of the stuff I was expecting Kurt's expertise, but an employee was the only person I interacted with and he didn't inspire the confidence I was hoping for.

Here is what I am thinking -- Keep my 2850J in the front, and use 2863's with L shocks in the rear. If I have a rake, add a spacer in the front. The 2850J look low to me in the front, so I'd welcome the spacer. I jacked up the back to match and I only have 19" under the frame with 315/75r16 tires, which is about 5" lower than my mini-toy on 33's. I've been hung up on the rock sliders plenty of times in that pickup, so being 5" shorter isn't appealing. However, this Cruiser is supposed to be somewhat of a family car too, so I don't want it super high.

Am I thinking straight here?!

We would love to help out. Give us a shout and we can snag your build sheet and see what we discussed. The 2860 is a great coil with the 2850J when heavy front loaded and not rear loaded but if you have plans to do the 4x4 Labs rear bumper we need to look at a different rear spring. Give us a ring.

The cruiser body will not sit as high as the mini truck, frame geometry is totally different.. Also, the 80's wheel wells are huge and don't require the same amount of lift in order to run a bigger tire. For instance, at 4" of lift and on 37's my frame height measured behind the front radius arm perch is only 22".

Regular 863's (not J's) should yield a pretty level lift with 850J fronts. With your weight distribution plans, I think that would be the case.

Conventional wisdom with OME is to step down one level in the rear since, for whatever reason, all OME spring "pairings" were designed to carry a ton of weight in the back.
^^This^^

I run 850J up front, 863 Rear, with front bumper, 4x4labs rear dual swingout, and sliders, and I am pretty level.

Do I need to do anything with the rear sway bar with the L shocks?

We always add a bit to the links, standard part of the job.
Lift_S_1.jpg

L shocks need a bit of bump stop extension (1") so do bigger tires, so might as well have the extra travel. With the shorter springs and long shocks, there is the possibility of the spring unseating, so we always tack a retainer to the lower perch. Just a simple piece of strap, the spring screws into the perch, can't come off when flexed.
Joe_11.jpg

When you say heavies, you mean 2863 and mediums are 2860?

I don't know why it is so hard for me to figure out these OME springs! There is tons of info, but much of it contradicts. When I bought all of the stuff I was expecting Kurt's expertise, but an employee was the only person I interacted with and he didn't inspire the confidence I was hoping for.

Here is what I am thinking -- Keep my 2850J in the front, and use 2863's with L shocks in the rear. If I have a rake, add a spacer in the front. The 2850J look low to me in the front, so I'd welcome the spacer. I jacked up the back to match and I only have 19" under the frame with 315/75r16 tires, which is about 5" lower than my mini-toy on 33's. I've been hung up on the rock sliders plenty of times in that pickup, so being 5" shorter isn't appealing. However, this Cruiser is supposed to be somewhat of a family car too, so I don't want it super high.

Am I thinking straight here?!

Yes. Well I have the Ironman equivalent of the 863 spring in the rear of my current cruiser and J springs in front. However, I have chopped the rear crossmember out and bobbed the rear frame in a bit. I just have a 2 x 2 x 1/8" square tube rear bumper and in the front I have a tube bumper that might weigh 30lbs. No 3rd row and no factory spare tire hardware. There is a very noticeable forward rake.

As someone else said, you can't compare 80s to minitrucks. You can stuff 35s onto a stock 80 and 37s onto a 2" lift if you arent afraid of some minor trimming. I would be terrified to drive/wheel an 80 that was as tall as most minitrucks/4runners.

We would love to help out. Give us a shout and we can snag your build sheet and see what we discussed. The 2860 is a great coil with the 2850J when heavy front loaded and not rear loaded but if you have plans to do the 4x4 Labs rear bumper we need to look at a different rear spring. Give us a ring.

I talked to Bryce. He cleared up some misconceptions I had develop whilst searching cyberspace... :) Thanks!

. I would be terrified to drive/wheel an 80 that was as tall as most minitrucks/4runners.

Me too. I guess I am just a little disoriented because it is so different than what I am used to.

So NOW i'm reading all this AFTER I ordered the 3" lift from OME. Looks like I'll be getting the 2850J and 2863J coming. Should I just send the rears back and get the non "J" for the rear? I don't want to open a can of worms with a spacer that caused all kinds of caster issues. Rather the back be lower than raise the front to match. I hate that they advertise 3" and it more of a 3 front and 4 rear...

So NOW i'm reading all this AFTER I ordered the 3" lift from OME. Looks like I'll be getting the 2850J and 2863J coming. Should I just send the rears back and get the non "J" for the rear? I don't want to open a can of worms with a spacer that caused all kinds of caster issues. Rather the back be lower than raise the front to match. I hate that they advertise 3" and it more of a 3 front and 4 rear...

The 2863 is not a "J." It is the heavier spring for the rear. The 2860 is the medium. It depends a lot on your setup plans. Rear bumper with swingouts? Then 2863 rear with 2850J is probably what you want. Not planning anything for the rear? Then 2860 rear is most likely what you want.

The 2863 is not a "J." It is the heavier spring for the rear. The 2860 is the medium. It depends a lot on your setup plans. Rear bumper with swingouts? Then 2863 rear with 2850J is probably what you want. Not planning anything for the rear? Then 2860 rear is most likely what you want.
This is the kit i ordered.
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Emu-...543209180&sr=8-1&keywords=Old+man+emu+3"+lift

Both have "J" at the end? I dunno, new to me. I just ordered it Friday night, hope I can call tomorrow and change before they pack it up and ship. Not going to do anything, bumper, swing outs, rack at the moment. Stock, lifted and clean. For now anyway. It would bug the s*** out of me with the ass up higher than the front....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom