OME 1.5" Rear Heavies? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have these on their rig?

Saw them on EBay, but couldn't find the part # provided on any of our vendor sites :confused: (#2864)

OLD MAN EMU 2864 LAND CRUISER 80 REAR HEAVY SPRINGS - eBay (item 130503372391 end time May-29-11 14:15:53 PDT)

(Item number: 130503372391)

I'm currently at 250,xxx miles on the original Toyota springs with 2" Metal Tech Spacers up front and 1.5" Aluminum Slee spacers in the rear with AirLift bags :hmm:

The spacers were meant as a temp fix to bring it up to stock height until I could afford a proper lift, but I've found that this height has been just fine for my needs :meh:

Thing is I'm running A LOT of extra weight (full length roof rack, dual batts, winch, dual swings, sub boxes, 6 kids, etc.)

newheftywingzinstalled27.JPG

diaomondplategearbox.JPG

The front height actually seems fine as is, but the rear tends to sag quite a bit :frown:

In the past, I've been able to bring it up to stock height with 10psi in the bags, but since I installed the wings and swings a few months ago, I've had to bump it up to 20 and sometimes even 30 depending on extra load :eek:

So now I'm looking into possible options :hmm:

I know my factory springs were way past due and a fresh pair (or low mile used pair) would work nicely, giving me a little more lift and keeping my plush ride :cool:

On the other hand, I will soon be adding even more weight to the rear with yet another winch :doh:

So I figured I'd better look into some heavy duty options as well and that's when I found these 1.5" heavies, but I have a few questions :hmm:

1) The listing says "+1.5 inch" and "+880 lbs. to GVW"

Does this mean I can add ~880lbs. of extra weight before it drops to factory height?

2) Will I lose my plush ride?

3) Any loss of articulation?

4) Any other low buck options I should be looking into?

Rick

Here they are, OLD MAN EMU REAR Coil Springs HEAVY CONSTANT LOAD OME2864 they are a bit more but there is a good description for you. As far as i know, the weight rating is hoe much they can support over stock springs. These will safelt support 880#, compared to whatever stock supported (a lot less i would imagine) before they are overloaded. I know whit heave springs i have read that the ride is stiffer but there shouldn't be any loss of articulation. Hope this helps.

E

Rick,
I'd make sure of what you have there. I checked over on Slee's website <http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/suspension_pieces_springs.htm>to see what the "+880" number matched up with. The only ones listed like that are for the 2008> model years.

There are coils listed for the 80 up to +600 lbs, but not over, and those are with a 2.5" lift, not 1.5".

Maybe these aren't actually 80 series coils?

There rears I'm running are the stock height 862 rated as +200. they did perk things up for me, but may not have enough capacity for what you want, which sounds like 2.5"?

Iron Man Springs

that 880 lbs. to GVW sounds like my 2" lift coil springs from Iron Man. Part # TOYO25D Constant Load Spring. I got mine from Camel4X4, Eli gave me discount and free shipping from being mud member.

Going by ARB's listing, the part number looks correct for the 80 series :hmm:

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/toyotaLandCruiser80Lexus450.pdf

At first, I was thinking that I could use the 1.5" heavies without my current 1.5" spacers and leave it at that, but I love my plush ride too much :eek:

So instead, what if I got OME 2" Mediums (2860) and just let them compress a little with the extra weight? :hmm:

Hmm, that OME link is clearer on what goes on what. I'm thinking stink bug, but if you're really carrying all that weight all the time then maybe not an issue. Another winch in back is going to help with that, of course.

Gives me something to think about for when a sub-tank or other additional fuel capacity is added. In my case, there's always the unloaded state to be concerned about, because the extra weight won't be back there 24/7/365. I think air bags will be the trick, but maybe that's not enough capacity for what you have planned?:confused:

Last edited:
Looking at that pdf it looks like they have just added a 2 in front of all of the spring numbers. The ones you are asking about look like the 864 which would give you way over 1.5". My understanding of their terminology is that you will net 1.5" after you add 880 lbs. you should consider the OME 862 and keep your spacer.

Looking at that pdf it looks like they have just added a 2 in front of all of the spring numbers. The ones you are asking about look like the 864 which would give you way over 1.5". My understanding of their terminology is that you will net 1.5" after you add 880 lbs. you should consider the OME 862 and keep your spacer.

Hmm

If that's the case, I might have to go with the 2860 or 2863 hope the weight brings it down to level :hmm:

custom springs, aren't that exensive to have made (over here in aus anyways) and sounds like the only "correct" solution to your issue.

I wouldn't know the first place to look for custom coils here in the states :confused:

Anyhoo, I'm leaning towards the 2863's, which (according to ARB's listing) is a medium that adds a constant load of 440lbs. to the GVW :hmm:

Thing is, the quantity listed is only 1, so is that 440lbs. per coil or as a pair :confused:

Also, under Slee's listing, the OME863's (which I assume is the same) is listed as a 2.5" coil, not a 2" :hmm:

Ironman may be an option for you

Any particular part number?

Their website isn't very clear on parts :confused:

do some research 863s gave me 5" with no added weight so be carefull.

Do you have the 863J's or the regular 863's?

Also, did you measure from actual stock height or from your previous spring setup?

I have 864's in the rear and heavy J's in the front - sorry can't remember the number.

I sit a little 'stink-bug' by about 2" and used to carry a lot more stuff but decided I didn't need all of it during my daily commute.
But when I load up for a trip including my 3-rail motorcycle trailer I sit about level.

I've got an ARB w/winch and supercharger on the front. A Kaymar with one tire swing and roof rack and the big aux tank in the rear, so even empty I'm pretty heavy.

HTH. Dan.

Have just 863 not 863j. Did 850j/863 1st way too much stink bug ended up with slee 4'/863 and still had to put 1" spacer in front and still a touch of stink bug.Tube winch bumper and stock rear weight. Id probably do 850/860 springs for what you want can always put spacer in rear if needed and youve got air bags for when your really loaded heavy. This should get you back to where your at. If you go too high in back your stuck with it no way to really lower the back due to the way springs roll in cant really cut them and get to seat right. FAQ seaction has a pretty good right up on OME springs. You really need to know the extra weight amount on front and rear to get the right springs. However from my experience Id stay on the short side for rear if you want a somewhat level stance.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded from worn out stock springs and spacers to the OME 850/860 setup. That is heavy in front and medium in the rear. The amount of lift was just about spot on at the 2.5" as advertised based on running them without any spacers. I have what sounds like a similar amount of weight (my rig is 6,000lb daily driving) and its pretty balanced front to rear. That would probably give you maybe 1" of lift beyond the setup you're running now. The ride is better than the worn out (cushy ride?) stock springs in that it feels more controlled, with less sway. Based on what I've read I'm thinking this would be a good setup for your usage. Having the air bags will do a good job of compensating when you're loaded up too, so you probably wouldn't need heavies in the rear. If its important to you, there is no loss of articulation, if anything it is better than a setup with spacers due to not having a worn out spring, and the OME shocks are longer.

I believe OME changed their part numbering recently to add the '2' in front, to designate that there are 2 springs in a box. The 440lbs would still refer to the pair, not each.

850/860 gets my vote.

Thanks for the info, guys :cool:

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of 863's too :doh:

I agree that I'd much rather be level or slightly lower so I can use the bags to level :hmm:

Does anyone know what the correct measurement from the center hub to the fender lip is for the front and rear?

Rick

Height measurements are very subjective, since it depends so much on how much weight you have on board. I'm sure I could give my truck a 1" lift just by removing all the armour. Loaded up for a trip to Moab I was down over an inch in the rear... I could measure my truck and tell you, but that will only help if your is loaded about the same.

HTH... though probably not :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom