OME 1.5" Rear Heavies? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I meant stock height for stock vehicle weight....

I'd like to know how far off I am with my current setup :hmm:

How long is a piece of string?:hillbilly: The ones that I have measured were ~20", +or- 3/4". It depends on spring and load, a few different springs were used and stock rigs were configured differently (weight).

Spring design/selection is pretty complicated, but OME gives enough info to make a good guess. The way I understand it is; they are rated to lift height at load. In other words; if a spring pair is rated 2.5" lift, 220lb per inch and 440 lb constant load and is installed on a rig with 440lb of extra constant load, centered over that axle, it will net about 2.5" of lift. If installed on a stock weight rig will net about 3.5" of lift. Here again "stock weight" is the key, in my experience, the early rigs were the lightest and the LX450 the heaviest, so it is about.

As long as the springs are not abused (coil bound, etc) it is acceptable to use them with more or less weight. The resulting lift and handling will differ, but if within a reasonable range the spring will be fine.

How long is a piece of string?:hillbilly: The ones that I have measured were ~20", +or- 3/4". It depends on spring and load, a few different springs were used and stock rigs were configured differently (weight).

Spring design/selection is pretty complicated, but OME gives enough info to make a good guess. The way I understand it is; they are rated to lift height at load. In other words; if a spring pair is rated 2.5" lift, 220lb per inch and 440 lb constant load and is installed on a rig with 440lb of extra constant load, centered over that axle, it will net about 2.5" of lift. If installed on a stock weight rig will net about 3.5" of lift. Here again "stock weight" is the key, in my experience, the early rigs were the lightest and the LX450 the heaviest, so it is about.

As long as the springs are not abused (coil bound, etc) it is acceptable to use them with more or less weight. The resulting lift and handling will differ, but if within a reasonable range the spring will be fine.

Thanks for the info :cool:

Here's where I am with mine currently....

Front measures 21.5" from center hub to flare edge (~22" to the fender lip)

Rear measures 19.5" from center hub to flare (~20" to quarter lip) with 0psi in the bags...

fzjrydeheight1.JPG

fzjrydeheight2.JPG

Rear measures 20.5" from center hub to flare (~21" to quarter lip) with 30psi in the bags...

fzjrydeheight3.JPG

fzjrydeheight4.JPG

What would you suggest for the rear to get close to level with the front and still retain my plush ride?

Another question....

Do the OME rears differ left to right or are they both the same?

Before installing mine, I put them on the floor and compared length. One is slightly longer than the other. I can't remember which was supposed to be which, but I put the long ones in the right side, because that offsets the crown of the road, as well my truck is Right Hand Drive in a Left Hand Drive world, and my spare is on the right too. Sits nice this way.

OK, installed them a couple hours ago and noticed just a hint of stinkbug :hmm:

omerearspringinstalled.JPG

omerearspringinstalled2.JPG

Then I filled it with about 300lbs. of tools and equipment and she's about level now :cool:

omerearspringinstalled3.JPG

omerearspringinstalled4.JPG

omerearspringinstalled5.JPG

I figure she'll be perfect after she settles a little and I get the rear winch installed :clap:

On a side note, the airbags are installed, but aren't filled (only about 3psi to keep shape)

I recently upgraded from worn out stock springs and spacers to the OME 850/860 setup. That is heavy in front and medium in the rear. The amount of lift was just about spot on at the 2.5" as advertised based on running them without any spacers. I have what sounds like a similar amount of weight (my rig is 6,000lb daily driving) and its pretty balanced front to rear. That would probably give you maybe 1" of lift beyond the setup you're running now. The ride is better than the worn out (cushy ride?) stock springs in that it feels more controlled, with less sway. Based on what I've read I'm thinking this would be a good setup for your usage. Having the air bags will do a good job of compensating when you're loaded up too, so you probably wouldn't need heavies in the rear. If its important to you, there is no loss of articulation, if anything it is better than a setup with spacers due to not having a worn out spring, and the OME shocks are longer.

I believe OME changed their part numbering recently to add the '2' in front, to designate that there are 2 springs in a box. The 440lbs would still refer to the pair, not each.

850/860 gets my vote.

Are you running any caster correction with this lift?

I guess I have the suspension bug cause now I'm debating whether I should get 850's or 851 front coils :doh:

According to Slee's site, the 850's are included in their 2.5" Heavy load kit, but it also comes with a caster kit :hmm:

850-860 gets my vote too. I'm lightly laden and needed about 4 deg of caster correction. Stock front bumper. M8000 w/ synth rope. 3rd row removed. 35" spare in stock spot. 5500 lbs.

The amount of caster correction depends on how much actual lift you get out of the springs. I'm going to guess that you'll need about 3 deg with the weight. Only one way to find out ;)

Also I'd recommend slotting the holes and then welding washers after you get your alignment done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom