1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omaha to Anchorage

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by brent, Jul 18, 2005.

1. brent

brent

Am planning on moving next week, via Denver, Tetons, Glacier, Calgary, Banff, Jasper.......and up the ALCAN, anyone have any hidden spots they know of along the way, I have done the ALCAN a couple times but it has always been hurried, never been through Tetons/Yellowstone or Banff/Jasper, was hoping to get some advice on what to see, etc, would like to stay off the beaten path but know it will be hard in these very busy places............any suggestions on hikes/camping spots would be awesome, thanks guys

2. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/yt/kluane/index_e.asp

Kluane Lake. Saw more wildlife there in a week than I saw living in Alaska for years. Amazing place. Not sure about wheelin access, but camping and hiking galore.

Wolves howling every morning and night.

Good luck.

3. gulp3000

gulp3000

The National Forest outside Yellowstone can be nice. We took a long weekend up there last year and the parks were really busy so we explored the NF for camping spots and we never saw another person once we left pavement. Everyone blows by on their way to the parks.

Sounds like a fun trip!

4. dmc

dmc

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd say take the Cassiar not the Alaska Hwy. No real reason, just personal bias after 5 times on each.
    dmc

5. brent

brent

VTF40- Yeah I have checked into that a little, was planning on at least spending a day or two there, will def. mark it down on the things to do

Gulp- We are planning on camping outside the park at least 2-3 nights and was sort of assumning it will be a little busier then what this alaskan kid likes, one of my buddies actually said they use to camp on an old fire tower outside Jackson so I might try that??

DMC- I have always wanted to go that route but have always been coming or going to either Denver or Omaha and I am meeting some people up in Calgary, think that it is def. something on the list of things to do............

Also wanted to let you guys know about Google Earth brought to you buy those good folks over at Google, been trying to do some planning and this program is awesome, its basically a topo map of the world and you can change the pitch anything really, if you haven't checked it out its worth a go........thanks for the info