Mercedes OM6?? Options as a transplant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I've seen a few guys on Mud do the 617 swap into a Landcruiser application. There are a couple guys in the process of doing 606 swaps. Seems like this route is more complex, and more expensive.

I'm toying with doing an OM6XX swap when I return from being stationed in Germany (of all places ;)). I'm just weighing in on:

Availability
Total cost
Adaptors
Fit
Transmission choices
Numerical data on efficiencies
Pros/cons
Etc, etc, etc.

Pics and or links are welcome!

Thanks!

As with anything, ask around on other boards. For me, the tranny adapter was not available and a friend had one. If you can get the donor vehicle, it will save you sanity as have resource for all the little parts. I ended up buying a wrecked 300d (non-turbo) just for parts for $380. Things like, thottle linkage, air conditioner and other brackets.

My build thread is here: Second 40

Good luck on your journey.

Ok. I've seen a few guys on Mud do the 617 swap into a Landcruiser application. There are a couple guys in the process of doing 606 swaps. Seems like this route is more complex, and more expensive.

I'm toying with doing an OM6XX swap when I return from being stationed in Germany (of all places ;)). I'm just weighing in on:

Availability
Total cost
Adaptors
Fit
Transmission choices
Numerical data on efficiencies
Pros/cons
Etc, etc, etc.

Pics and or links are welcome!

Thanks!
Best resource is superturbodiesel.com

My guess is that the OM617 will be the cheapest overall option, and being that it is only a 5 cylinder means there will be more space to work with in the engine bay. 4x4Labs makes an adapter that fits it to a Toyota H transmission, and engines/parts cars are relatively cheap and easy to come by. Tuning potential is good, and the engine is very simple and robust. The OM617 in my G Wagen had 7.5mm injection pump elements, 314 injector nozzles and a Holset HX30 set at 18psi, and even though it was turning 37” tires and pushing a 5100lb brick it could accelerate quite nicely. Sounded great too!

I think that maybe the 617 would be cheaper but overall level of satisfaction will probably be higher with the 60x series. The 603 is an SOHC 6 at 3.0L while the 606 is the twin cam 3.0L. The also have SOHC and DOHC 4 and 5 cylinder variants of both as well. To the best of my knowledge there aren't options to swap them directly into an H series box however all the inline engines that lay over at a 15 degree angle share the same flywheel bolt pattern and bellhousing pattern so the trans swap options are the same whether or not you go with a 4-5-6 cyl diesel. The OM616 and OM617 are a different block pattern. No matter what unless you get into the CDI engines that all of these are indirect injected. The newer motors will be higher efficiency,

I wont go into cost as I have no idea what it will be in germany but it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy an entire vehicle for the swap as opposed to finding someone selling just the engine swap.

As far as fitment, all of these engines are physically shorter than the F series toyota engine. The 6 cylinder engines share a similar footprint (same bore space) as Nissan's RB engine series and shouldn't be an issue for fitment. As far as transmission adaptability, it will depend if you want to keep the auto or move to manual. None of these engines had a TCase bolted to a transmission as even the G wagon models have a divorced T case.

The broadest group of transmission options seems to be from the guys at dieselpumpuk.

The overwhelming majority of these cars will come with a front sump oil pan. If you need a rear sump pan, you can either fabricate, or you will need the OM648 pump and pan (only fits OM603/606).

In germany, parts will be much more available but back state site the hardest thing to keep and get worked on will be the IP stuff. The 603 has a fully mechanical IP while the 606 has electric over mechanical, similar to the 1HD-FTE setup. There isn't as many parts for these pumps so most guys looking into performance will put the 603 M pump on it. In the US you have to worry about the MW pump which is fine in stock form but barrels and parts lack compatibility so the european M pump is preferred. Myna and Dieselmecken in Finland as well as DieselpumpUK seem to do good aftermarket pump work with bigger elements. I don't know that I would trust anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom