Mercedes OM6?? Options as a transplant? (1 Viewer)

Ok. I've seen a few guys on Mud do the 617 swap into a Landcruiser application. There are a couple guys in the process of doing 606 swaps. Seems like this route is more complex, and more expensive.

I'm toying with doing an OM6XX swap when I return from being stationed in Germany (of all places ;)). I'm just weighing in on:

Availability
Total cost
Adaptors
Fit
Transmission choices
Numerical data on efficiencies
Pros/cons
Etc, etc, etc.

Pics and or links are welcome!

Thanks!

As with anything, ask around on other boards. For me, the tranny adapter was not available and a friend had one. If you can get the donor vehicle, it will save you sanity as have resource for all the little parts. I ended up buying a wrecked 300d (non-turbo) just for parts for $380. Things like, thottle linkage, air conditioner and other brackets.

My build thread is here: Second 40

Good luck on your journey.

Ok. I've seen a few guys on Mud do the 617 swap into a Landcruiser application. There are a couple guys in the process of doing 606 swaps. Seems like this route is more complex, and more expensive.

I'm toying with doing an OM6XX swap when I return from being stationed in Germany (of all places ;)). I'm just weighing in on:

Availability
Total cost
Adaptors
Fit
Transmission choices
Numerical data on efficiencies
Pros/cons
Etc, etc, etc.

Pics and or links are welcome!

Thanks!
Best resource is superturbodiesel.com

My guess is that the OM617 will be the cheapest overall option, and being that it is only a 5 cylinder means there will be more space to work with in the engine bay. 4x4Labs makes an adapter that fits it to a Toyota H transmission, and engines/parts cars are relatively cheap and easy to come by. Tuning potential is good, and the engine is very simple and robust. The OM617 in my G Wagen had 7.5mm injection pump elements, 314 injector nozzles and a Holset HX30 set at 18psi, and even though it was turning 37” tires and pushing a 5100lb brick it could accelerate quite nicely. Sounded great too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom