Olive gets some extra air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been collecting the candy for a while now ...

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

She is RHD so space is at a premium ...

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

Appart from the refurb itself, I have never done anything like this so I will be taking it slowly and relying on the collective wisdom of MUD once again. Damn it felt good just to be wrenching on her again :cheers:

Looks beautiful!

Can you flip the oil filter housing just like a manifold ?

Thanks guys

DSC_0042.JPG

She has been fighting me on many fronts and just when I got the old manifold off I ran into the next problem :hmm:

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

I would prefer to stay with the stock size filter so before going out and finding a shorter filter I was wondering ...

Can I just unbolt and flip it to look like Rob's?

attachment.php

Anybody done it before ?

Last edited:
I don't know if you can flip it
there are remote-mount filter kits you could adapt. then you could mount the filter somewhere more convenient for changes and also somewhere a little bit cooler, which can only help matters.

Good idea, thanks.
A friend in Botswana has a spare 3B block that he will hopefully confirm it on.

I am beginning to think that all OEM 3B oil filter housings were in fact of the hanging type and that my inverted one is actually a mistake by the PO's mechie during the rebuild ? Even TOYODIY lists it as hanging and not inverted. I just dont see the point of cooling things down in the extra cooler and then wasting the cooling by locating the filter so close to the manifold etc ? :confused:

My 10/80 BJ42 with a 3B has a hanging filter. The filter and bracket look exactly the same except yours is inverted. I would agree that someone previously flipped it over for some reason. I don't see why flipping it over to the hanging position would cause any problems.

:cheers:

And the plot thickens ....

Theo .
Removed oil filter housing off the cooler .we tried to turn it .but the hole spacing is different .
Looking at the internals it cant be swopped around .you might have to locate a complete oil cooler assembly with filter hanging down .Some of the later 3B,s had the filter facing up .
These 3B,s lots of changes thru their years .some good some bad

Mine is a 11/83 LX - If Mr Yoda did change them why and when ?? Could it be that the OEM hanging type cannot be flipped but the OEM inverted type can :confused:

Maybe I should just try and source a shorter filter that fits and be done with it :meh:

Im not sure about other models/markets, but the JDM BJ60 swapped oil filter housings at 11-1984. Pre - hanging, post - inverted.

The gasket between the oil filter housing and the main oil cooler cover didnt change its part number, so the two different housings should swap.

Out of interest, the Dyna (truck) version of the 13B-T has the hanging mount, while the Landcruiser has the inverted type.
IMG_3582.jpg

If you can't find one to flip, a remote is fairly easy and works well. Here are a few shots of mine in my Fj60 with an Isuzu 4BD2tc in it. I used the stock filter head with aluminum plates and block with a remote bracket. Gives a little extra cooling too.

Doug
DSC01928.jpg
DSC01931.jpg
DSC01938.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions on the remote filter. I also have more pictures, but it's very straight forward.

Doug

I had limited time lately but I got some stuff done ...

I was not happy with the way the original adapter spaced the turbo towards the firewall etc

DSC_0055.JPG

I wanted some height but not that much

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

So it got trimmed

DSC_0090.JPG

I also did not like the angle of the oil drain. I clocked it towards the rear as the wastegate actuator arm was in the way but the angle was still wrong. Eventually the only solution was to drill and tap the actuator housing and to relocate it. This freed some space but I am not entirely sure that it is perfect yet ...

DSC_0103.JPG

At least the oil pan was still good ... :lol:

DSC_0062.JPG

Fortunately I had a new OEM gasket ...

DSC_0065.JPG

I used a T on the Low pressure switch for the feed. The size was very clo0se but I had to put a die to it in order to get it into the block. Size is 1/8 BSP 28.

DSC_0070.JPG

The OEM PS hose was in the way and definately too close to the 13BT manifold for my liking so I had a longer one made up while using the OEM ends.

DSC_0073.JPG

The new route freed up some more space and I will be able to use the stock airfilter housing

DSC_0074.JPG

The oil filter & housing scenario I solved with a shorter filter :hillbilly:

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0085.JPG

My first attempt at gasket making :hmm:

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

At kleast some parts are still Toyota ;)

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

Relocated the heater pipe bracket to the slightly forward position on the 13BT manifold

DSC_0103.JPG

The new angle was much better

DSC_0105.JPG

Still measuring and cutting ....

DSC_0106.JPG

From the beginning I wanted to use the OEM air filter housing and
I tried selecting the correct silicon hose fittings for the air intake but without the car at hand it was impossible. I therefore decided to use one of those :censor: boyricer type cone filters just to get the car to the exhaust shop and the silicone hose shop. :whoops::eek:

DSC_0110.JPG

And then it was time to prep and start her. I disconnected the FCM with the arm in the stop position and then swung her for a while to build some pressure(not sure if it worked:meh:). I also primed the turbo with some oil using a

DSC_0112.JPG

And then it was time ....

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

She started first time, doesn't leak at all and makes the most awesome whistling sound. Tomorrow I will take her to the exhaust shop as that short down pipe leaves the engine bay very hot. I have not touched the fueling but sofar she definately pulls stronger :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom