Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@KY Longhunter - Most came loose with a cheap impact driver. But a few I had to put the impact driver's Phillips bit on a long handled 3/8 ratchet to get some real leverage on them. One I had to drill the head off and then drill it out. The 4 on the left side of the tub I had to hold the "captive" nuts with a vice-grips. I was able to clean up the threads in all 20 holes (8 per hinge and 2 per latch hook inside).

Here's a better pic of the Horizontal blue, Nebula green is also neat (think it's a later color though) -

Tucker

horizontal.jpg

nebula.jpg

The "horizontal" blue looks good with the factory steel wheels...just my opinion but the non-stock colors never seem to look right on vintage FJ40s.

Remember the the wheels on early rigs are black. Frankly, I don't think they look good with many colors at all, but that's just how they are.

Similarly, I don't like body colored turn signals or rear bumperettes. But again, that's part of what makes early rigs look early.

All loose parts removed from tub/frame. Will inventory them all tomorrow prior to taking them for sand blasting. Don't know yet how many parts need blasting, but it is a pile of them. Way too many things need stripped before painting body color.

Once I have all these dealt with, will strip the rest of the wiring, linkages and such from the tub. Then gather a few friends to lift it onto a small trailer. Soon.

IMG_1136.jpg

Getting ready to have the seat frames powder coated. Went down to the shop and looked at their samples from Prismatic, specifically the Galaxy Grey that others have mentioned.

Was unimpressed. Too dark, tending toward a light charcoal color. So spent some time looking through all the samples, and came up with a different solution. Still Prismatic, but in a different family. Called Vegas Gold, described as a "heavy silver with gold metallic flake."

The sample swatch I brought home is a really close match to the new front bumper. It does seem to have a bit more of a gold cast than the bumper in some lighting, but overall I like it. I think I'm going to give it a try.

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of Cadet, why not River which is close but period correct?

9390C5D9-E8BD-41E5-AEBC-9C64100D00C4.jpeg

Oooops, wrong one.

EDE3A106-B337-4BF0-8CBA-2906A6C8782E.jpeg

@daniel.watters - Actually, as my wife and I feel the approaching color selection deadline, we've been looking over the options quite a bit lately, and River is definitely a strong possibility. I don't know if it was really ever used on a '64 FJ40, but obviously some Toyota model(s) must have been painted in River.

Progress today. Spent most of the day continuing to strip the tub, with an occasional side distraction.

Distraction #1 - disassemble inside mirror so that I can paint it and replace the glass.

IMG_1141.jpg

Pleasant surprise, not as bad as I feared under the tank. Or at least, so far. We'll see what's left after blasting.

IMG_1142.jpg

Beyond that, got pretty much everything stripped off, bagged and labeled. Biggest find today is that the tub is warped. Passenger A pillar is not vertical, off by 2° from the driver side. Over 5/8" (15mm) difference from windshield base to B-pillar from side to side. This is why I couldn't get either the passenger fender nor the right door to fit well. Pleased I found this now, it shouldn't be hard to correct, and will make fitting the parts back on much easier.

IMG_1147.jpg

Garage is looking pretty empty right now. Loose parts are all either at the sand blaster, or the powder coaters. A few other bits either in storage under the house or on a shelf in the bedroom closet. Tub gets removed tomorrow.

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

Arne here is a ‘64 in River Blue, I’ve seen a few others over the years. I don’t think it was a common color by any stretch but I do believe some cruisers came in it from the factory. I have a some 45 cab latches that are in River blue as well.

77ED3B8B-88E8-4569-8B5E-9AFEC6638E5D.jpeg
6DC3E234-1C81-47FA-8CF8-923B5165C72E.jpeg

Also look at this 1965 Toyota rally it seems the SWB is in River blue.
6A63F1BB-38A4-48F3-B090-DE9B37877C2C.png

Hope you chose it as I’d love to see how it looks “new”. I’ve been considering it for my next 45 project.

Last edited:
Which I'm guessing will be as close as can be humanly matched, even if you have to go mine the pigment in a hostile wilderness.
Yes, but the question is, what do I match to? Since I have no physical sample to go by? The key result will be, it will look good, and hopefully "right".

The interior of @nuclearlemon's rig? Maybe she'll loan you a part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom