Older FJ40 cold weather starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for an engine block heater solution for a 1967 FJ40 with an original engine. I'm having trouble with cold weather starts on chilly winter mornings in Vermont, where I keep the truck.
Any ideas?

They make block heaters that fit into the freeze plug holes (1 5/8 inches will do), and I've seen heaters that go in line with the lower radiator hose. (One each of my trucks came with these, both no longer functioning). I think you could get them at NAPA.

Keeping it tuned up can go a long way as well. I can start mine without using the block heater at -20 without too much trouble. Its does like lots of gas when its cold though. I would make sure you ignition is in top shape, no vacuum leaks and your carb is functioning properly.

As far as block heaters I prefer the freeze plug style. I agree that NAPA can probably get you one.

IDave said:
They make block heaters that fit into the freeze plug holes (1 5/8 inches will do), and I've seen heaters that go in line with the lower radiator hose. (One each of my trucks came with these, both no longer functioning). I think you could get them at NAPA.

And if you can't find one locally, SOR sells them too.

Is it cold in Vermont right now ? I have the heater hose type in my 40 and use a timer to start it warming about 2 hours before use (in the Winter). Not only does it warm up faster but turns over nicely , starts quickly, and I have heard 35% of all wear in a engine comes from starup, your engine lasts longer as does you starter and battery.

I live in Quebec, where whe have very cold winters (we had a few days under -40cel this winter) I use a block heater but this year, I got a pertronix ignition to replace the old points setup. I saw a big difference . Now my only problem is that I can't get the cruiser hot enough to defrost the windshield when it's that cold :doh:

I have only not started once in vermont, -20 for three nights, mostly water in the rad. Still started, but stopped soon after, as the fuel line must have had water in it. Froze up. Started two days later

I have a friend who put one of the inline heaters in his rad tube, cheap, easy and he swears by it.

Most plow guys with older trucks here ( bristol area) run block heaters, just so that the truck does not have to run forever to get heat.

Get the rear heater in there, in my 67, with a 70 fornt heater and a rear, poorly fitting softtop- she is toasty warm.

where in VT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom