Older FJ40 cold weather starting

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dsinger, Aug 9, 2005.

1. dsinger

dsinger

I'm looking for an engine block heater solution for a 1967 FJ40 with an original engine. I'm having trouble with cold weather starts on chilly winter mornings in Vermont, where I keep the truck.
    Any ideas?

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    They make block heaters that fit into the freeze plug holes (1 5/8 inches will do), and I've seen heaters that go in line with the lower radiator hose. (One each of my trucks came with these, both no longer functioning). I think you could get them at NAPA.

3. fj40Matt

fj40Matt

Keeping it tuned up can go a long way as well. I can start mine without using the block heater at -20 without too much trouble. Its does like lots of gas when its cold though. I would make sure you ignition is in top shape, no vacuum leaks and your carb is functioning properly.

As far as block heaters I prefer the freeze plug style. I agree that NAPA can probably get you one.

4. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

And if you can't find one locally, SOR sells them too.

5. mallred

mallred

Is it cold in Vermont right now ? I have the heater hose type in my 40 and use a timer to start it warming about 2 hours before use (in the Winter). Not only does it warm up faster but turns over nicely , starts quickly, and I have heard 35% of all wear in a engine comes from starup, your engine lasts longer as does you starter and battery.

6. froggy

froggy

I live in Quebec, where whe have very cold winters (we had a few days under -40cel this winter) I use a block heater but this year, I got a pertronix ignition to replace the old points setup. I saw a big difference . Now my only problem is that I can't get the cruiser hot enough to defrost the windshield when it's that cold :doh:

7. rabid

rabid

I have only not started once in vermont, -20 for three nights, mostly water in the rad. Still started, but stopped soon after, as the fuel line must have had water in it. Froze up. Started two days later

I have a friend who put one of the inline heaters in his rad tube, cheap, easy and he swears by it.

Most plow guys with older trucks here ( bristol area) run block heaters, just so that the truck does not have to run forever to get heat.

Get the rear heater in there, in my 67, with a 70 fornt heater and a rear, poorly fitting softtop- she is toasty warm.

where in VT?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.