THE Olde North State Dog thread ... pics and intros (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cute pup. Glad you were able to get another so soon. The pup has a good home!

Cute pup. Glad you were able to get another so soon. The pup has a good home!

Thanks - we were putting it off - it's hard to get another dog. But this little guy is local and available now, so we changed our mind. There was an older husband and wife (60+) getting a new dog at the breeder. Their daschund of 9 years had died TWO DAYS before. He said that the dog loved him and followed him everywhere until 2 days ago when he backed out of the driveway and heard a bump.

I don't know that if that happened to me I'd be able to go look at a new dog 2 days later...

I had a Lab that also came up lame in the hindquarters, not once but twice over a period of time. I eventually figured it out, he was chewing on a piece of pressure treated wood he stole out of my shop without me knowing about it. His Vet confirmed it was the culprit and the paralysis passed quickly the next day.

So this has been on my mind all weekend after reading this. My yellow lab, Thatcher, had this happen to him very randomly. He was chasing a tennis ball and out of no where started dragging his back half around the yard freaking out! He was paralyzed in his back half. I was equally freaked out and the vet seemed to indicate that it's very rare. Since then, i've read or talked with 5 other owners who have had the "spinal embolism" in their dogs happen. Such a sad thing especially since you can't talk with the dog to let them know what's going on and how you are going to try to help them. IT's a sad place to be.

This was brought to the front of my mind after last weekend. Took my now yellow lab "Gus" swimming in the pond behind the house. After a while we headed back to the house and he had a since of panic to him and i noticed his tail was lifeless! I picked up the tennis ball to toss it which always gets his tail at full point and nothing happened. No wagging nothing. I googled it and immediately came up with "cold tail". Apparently it's a real thing and it's almost like a strain or sprain of the tail that happens with a lot of swimming and activity. My mind immediately thought of the embolism which freaked me out. Luckily it wasn't and after about 5 days of rest his tail has come back to life.
IMG_4565.JPG

So this has been on my mind all weekend after reading this. My yellow lab, Thatcher, had this happen to him very randomly. He was chasing a tennis ball and out of no where started dragging his back half around the yard freaking out! He was paralyzed in his back half. I was equally freaked out and the vet seemed to indicate that it's very rare. Since then, i've read or talked with 5 other owners who have had the "spinal embolism" in their dogs happen. Such a sad thing especially since you can't talk with the dog to let them know what's going on and how you are going to try to help them. IT's a sad place to be.

This was brought to the front of my mind after last weekend. Took my now yellow lab "Gus" swimming in the pond behind the house. After a while we headed back to the house and he had a since of panic to him and i noticed his tail was lifeless! I picked up the tennis ball to toss it which always gets his tail at full point and nothing happened. No wagging nothing. I googled it and immediately came up with "cold tail". Apparently it's a real thing and it's almost like a strain or sprain of the tail that happens with a lot of swimming and activity. My mind immediately thought of the embolism which freaked me out. Luckily it wasn't and after about 5 days of rest his tail has come back to life.
View attachment 1410769

One of my all time favorite pics is of him as a little guy in the back of Jason's 45 in the snow!
IMG_0049.JPG

One of my labs had cold tail once. Scared me too until I saw the diagnosis.

I think my wife has been suffering with that too...well, she has the diagnosis, im the one that suffers. LOLOLOL

If anyone in the metro greensboro area needs their house totally torn to shreds tonight, I can deliver a 70+ lb border collie who is going to be in acting crazier than a snowflake after the election.....

Give the dog a Tranxene.

He's been benadryled this afternoon/evening, and didnt go totally off the reservation. Then again, the really severe stuff was about 20 miles south of us.

We may have to talk to the vet about that, David.

Max lays on my feet under my desk, wont leave my side. I know storms are coming when he comes in the shop and lays in the back corner.

Maple goes in to a bathroom and hides between the commode and wall.

I remember Jason joking about Brodie calling him barometric brown! We would often find him in the bath tub when a storm was coming! lol

Fortunately the northern part of Guilford County was spared the really nasty weather, otherwise Shep would have been pacing the house all night.

our maltese could sleep thru an earthquake and never stop snoring. sam was wound up all day yesterday with the wind, as well as the barometric pressure. we were very lucky that the meat of the storm passed 15 miles south of us.

My last lab was 100+lb male that I shot over, loved fireworks, and never got rattled by anything... except storms. He'd go upstairs to the guest bathroom and hide usually a few minutes before we ever heard thunder. Oddly, if it was just rain, he'd still go outside as if nothing was going on, but first sign of a storm and he was tucking tail like a big baby.

Splash, well, she wasn't phased by anything.

Our first GSD. Former Maine police dog that someone let get fat. We were thrilled to get her. This girl was smarter than me. She loved to work. I loved to have her clear the house when I came home or scare kids on Halloween in front of the storm door with her bark/hold command. Hilda. Good times until 2004.

Hilda14J.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom