Old weatherstrip removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Group,
My project has very old and crusty weatherstripping. Can you guys please share your best ideas for removing this crusty weatherstripping and adhesive. The rubber is now very hard and stuck on there really good.
I’d like some kind of solvent that is strong enough to get rid of this old crap, but not strip the paint which appears original.
Thanks a lot for your time and any help & suggestions.
Have a nice day

I’ve used a plastic trim remover as a “putty knife” to scrape the old rubber off then carefully use mineral spirits on the residue.....if you have to, resort to acetone...and hope like heck the new rubber will cover the paint removal!

I’ve used a plastic trim remover as a “putty knife” to scrape the old rubber off then carefully use mineral spirits on the residue.....if you have to, resort to acetone...and hope like heck the new rubber will cover the paint removal!
Thank you Mark!

I like both of these a lot:

260E6DEB-AE08-4995-91AE-F223EACC4CDB.png

22D9D5AB-1079-4A7A-A428-AF2C306F912E.png

You can't beat the 3M General Purpose adhesive Cleaner. I always keep a can around. Use something like the Harbor Freight plastic scrapers to get the big pieces off ,then use the 3M to soften up what's left, then scrape, use 3M, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom