Old versus new full floater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ERNRAM

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy,

I am sure this question has been asked, but could not find on my search.

I picked up what was stated as a full float rear diff out of an 80 or 81 FJ45.

What I have read is there is an earlier type from 74 to 80 and a newer type from 81 to 84?

How can I tell them visually apart before I start ordering parts.

Thanks
Ernie

Post pictures is the best way. Couple of different verses 8/80 is more desirable. Those can be modified to have a hand brake. All but the 45 and 48 models did have a hand brake. 60 series parts can be use to modify them.

Post pictures is the best way. Couple of different verses 8/80 is more desirable. Those can be modified to have a hand brake. All but the 45 and 48 models did have a hand brake. 60 series parts can be use to modify them.

Are 60 series handbrake parts the same as on the 81-84 ff rears?

Howdy,

I am sure this question has been asked, but could not find on my search.

I picked up what was stated as a full float rear diff out of an 80 or 81 FJ45.

What I have read is there is an earlier type from 74 to 80 and a newer type from 81 to 84?

How can I tell them visually apart before I start ordering parts.

Thanks
Ernie

The brake backing plate will have eight bolts used to mount it to housing up to 8/80. 8/80 only has four.

Are 60 series handbrake parts the same as on the 81-84 ff rears?

Never tried it but they should. Then monster drums with cooling fins ended 7/80. Many years ago bought some 66 axles with lock rights installed. Not sure what his plan was but he gave me the backing plates out from a 60 series. Possible thought he could upgrade the 66 rear axle? I have a couple of 8/80+ 40 series FF rear axles. One from 40 or 42 and the other from a 47. Only difference is the 40/42 has a hand brake and the 47 doesn't. The 40/42 doesn't have swaybar tabs so not from a mid wheel base. Have three more FFs sitting in Australia. One from a 40/42 pre 8/80 that has the small drums. One from a 60 series and the other a 70 series. Only the early 40 series should be different as far as brakes.

Pictures show the early 75-80 model rear FF and has the monster brakes on the front which was not used on short wheel base. Do not story of this cruiser other than it was being scrapped. By the spare tire carrier was a 75 or 76. 75+ all 40 series had rear FFs in Australia.
P1050858 (1).JPG
P1050859 (1).JPG

Any advice on getting the cone washers off?

put the nuts back on and smack the end of the studs with a brass or lead dead blow...or use a brass bar or block and a steel hammer.

the "easy" way is to smack the side of the flange with a hammer, and you can see that was already done a time or two in the past...it will flat spot the countersinks for the cone washers.....avoid this method if at all possible.

There at least a dozen ways to address those cone washers, everybody has their favorites.
Some involve a brass drift and BFH, I prefer a thin blade screwdriver tip placed on the slot of the cone washer, parallel to the stud and give it a tap with a small hammer.

There at least a dozen ways to address those cone washers, everybody has their favorites.
Some involve a brass drift and BFH, I prefer a thin blade screwdriver tip placed on the slot of the cone washer, parallel to the stud and give it a tap with a small hammer.
When you say on the slot, I assume you don't mean to put the thin blade in the slot, correct? I would think that would make it worse as it would be spreading it out if pit in the slot

Put the thin blade in the slot, spreading it will pop the conewasher out...

Counterintuitive, but it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom