Old Truck for Old Guy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just replacre it with the 2-piece TO Bearing so you don't have to drop the tranny.
I can visualize that... but I still would need to remove the old one first, wouldn't that require dropping the transmission anyway?

I can visualize that... but I still would need to remove the old one first, wouldn't that require dropping the transmission anyway?
Use a bearing vaporizer for that. Both the vaporizer and 2-piece bearing are available at Napa, same shelf as:

1614820070817.png
and
1614820117928.png

Sorry, I was bored on a call earlier today.

Milestone, documented 200 miles on a tank of gas, and on E for the last 100 miles. May have a few gallons left, but will refill today.

Added almost 3 miles, engine cutout right at the gas station, coasted to fuel pump. Added 18.8 gallons and it is full. Took a minute to fire up but it is back to running fine. So 203 miles, 18.8 gallons.

Now that is finally getting warmer and we are approaching The Pollening, I was driving for the first time in shorts. I noticed around 35mph and up, there is a good bit of hot air flowing into the cabin from somewhere behind the AC unit. Was probably happening before but I never noticed. I will need to block that before summer! Need to figure out where it is coming from, and what can I block.

Now that is finally getting warmer and we are approaching The Pollening, I was driving for the first time in shorts. I noticed around 35mph and up, there is a good bit of hot air flowing into the cabin from somewhere behind the AC unit. Was probably happening before but I never noticed. I will need to block that before summer! Need to figure out where it is coming from, and what can I block.
AC in a 40 series... you guys and your luxury vehicles :)

I plan to add it as well, just one more thing on the list of things that I might be able to afford since Covid has freed up travel and social life funding :D

Just kick that kick vent open

I know the feeling

Gas tank vent....
Got this part, that will go into that hole, and will need to get plumped from the tank.
The thank has the 3 hose ports that will connect to the three lower ports. Then the top outlet will go back under the vehicle and somehow to a charcoal canister. The canister, to my understanding, is both vented to atmosphere and should somehow to go carburetor, but that second part I am not sure as all those systems are not present. Any tips welcome!

5BC92154-E958-486D-AC70-2833018D741A.jpeg
C7EE05C6-88B3-4CF6-8B79-F276277E3590.jpeg
37B47A26-63D0-4728-9AC3-FAD42F0F4AD9.jpeg

You can take a look at my 79. Sam has one too closer to you.

I can show you on my ‘82. All that junk is still in place. I believe the factory canisters are NLA. Don’t bother with a used one. Most of them have rusted-up check valves and will ruin your tank. When the check valve sticks, the tank gets pressurized and tank spot welds pop. Instead, use a generic charcoal filter. AC Delco makes one that will work. I forget the part number. The carb insulator has a tube that connects to the charcoal canister with a fuel line. Other nipple on the charcoal canister goes to the three-tube vent apparatus on the tank via fuel line.

What I was thinking about is something like this Doorman 911-261 (Delco looks the same with 3 ports). Has a incoming lower line from the tank (from separator), atmospheric vent port (with the cap), and the smaller upper port line that would go to the intake manifold. There is one port of the intake that has a bolt in capping it, almost mirror image to the opposite side where the brake vac booster is connected. Will not be factory as I dont have the EGR or any other emission system. But will be better than today, the only vent on the tank is via the vented cap.

Need to figure out mounting and bracketry for it, there is room under the airbox. Set up makes sense?

1615897687962.png

What I was thinking about is something like this Doorman 911-261 (Delco looks the same with 3 ports). Has a incoming lower line from the tank (from separator), atmospheric vent port (with the cap), and the smaller upper port line that would go to the intake manifold. There is one port of the intake that has a bolt in capping it, almost mirror image to the opposite side where the brake vac booster is connected. Will not be factory as I dont have the EGR or any other emission system. But will be better than today, the only vent on the tank is via the vented cap.

Need to figure out mounting and bracketry for it, there is room under the airbox. Set up makes sense?

View attachment 2615760
That will work fine. The CC factory location is on the passenger side of the firewall, but put it wherever you want

That be too easy! But the AC system is all over the passenger side, so they kind of made that choice for me. Will likely bring the line from the separator side, up and around the firewall, then down to the canister by the air box. And finally a short run to the intake manifold.

Will have to wait until next week, have a long training weekend and will be bringing it to the trails this time. I hope Uwharrie dries up a bit!

View attachment 2615760

I use this model with my swaps. I make a sheet metal U and run a band around it at the top of the U that is split and fixed so a bolt will pull it tight around the canister. Runs about 3/4 the way up the canister. Also, I cut rubber sheeting around the inner band so it does not vibrate etc. Make mounting tabs to where it works and you are done.

Thanks Stan! I am a Home Depot type fabricator, I go look there for brackets I can use / bend, but... So if I can, I will. Bicycle tire rubber, got plenty of that on my field repair kit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom