old style center steering arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just went to put in the rebuild kit from Liquid Offroad for the center steering arm on my 63 fj45swb. I was lokking at the kit and saw a place for keyways. None came with the kit and SORs http://www.sor.com/sor/cat096.tam?xax=21940&page.ctx=cat096.tam looks like it has less parts than Roberts with his you get everything except the keys. I did not see the old ones when I took it apart and they are long gone.

After looking at it I wonder if they are really needed ?

I would think that if they sre needed that I should be able to get them somewhere in Spokane tommorow so if someone out there knows if they are need or not pls let me know.

Thanks, Myrle

Myrle, I changed mine to the later cone shaped, somewhat adjustable one. I had to box the frame horn and made a mount from a piece of 3" (IIRC) angle. Got it square and welded it. Unless you are doing a resto, I would consider the later style center arm.
I can post a pic if you want.

JMO

Ed

Boy am I glad I changed that thing in for the newer type!

The woodruff keys, or at least one of them, are there to keep that race from turning on the main shaft and someday cutting it in half. You need it. If you didn't see them they are small - about 3/8" long and maybe 1/8" wide, flat on one side and rounded on the other. Think of a fat coin cut across it's face maybe (?)
The other race is a press fit but it'd be hard to take that contraption apart if both were.

I grew to hate that box. :)

Thanks, I will take the parts with me and get a woodruff keys somewhere.
Sounds like maybe not a good system but I have the parts and may switch next time.

Thanks again, Myrle

Myrle, if you don't find anything that will work locally, I can prolly scrounge up some in the junk bin. ;)

Blew apart mine in the 67 in a mud hole when I broke the arm in half. (For the record, turn your bumpstops out so the swamper lugs don't grab the steering..)

New wooduff keys from the local hardware store, a little larger than stock, ground down on the sides to fit.

You DO need these. You can get them at any good hardware store. The early design (which I just rebuilt again) is a huge pain. I hope to eliminate it soon with 60 steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom