Old School help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the problem: 67 stout (3rb, 4cylinder, 1900 cc, single barrel, points) conked out while driving. The carb glass front was empty and filter a wee dirty (glass filter housing, replaceable filter). Plenty of gas in tank. Field cleaned filter, replaced, used hammer on mechanical fuel pump, no gas filling carb. Turns over, won't start. Call AAA.

Fast forward few weeks, secure nice new mechanical fuel pump, prime said pump using my brake bleeder (up past filter and through fuel pump). Pour some gas in carb, still won't start. Starter is engaging and will continue to engage until battery dies... Have used compressed air to make sure lines are clear.

Any clues from old schoolers?

Is the float stuck David? Seems like the float isn't letting gas into the carb, may have some trash blocking the fuel from entering the carb right at the inlet there.

Or is the coil going dead...can't remember if you are still able to turn the rig over and it not actually start. But a few years ago I had a dying coil, take it off and shake it, if you don't hear the fluid in it or it is really light then you need to replace your coil. Then that should give it juice to start it up. Hope these two help....just thought you may have replaced the coil with the work you did but I'd still check it just to be sure.

Thanks JP. Just ran outside and checked both. The carb looks clean and the float is at bottom, where it should be when empty. Took off the fuel line at the intake and it is shiny clean. (Troll rebuilt in spring). Blew it out with compressed air anyway. Took the coil off, and while it sloshes like it is full, you are right, I did not replace it. Will hit parts store tomorrow for new one.

I am guessing coil because when I changed out old mechanical pump, it still sounded good when I hand operated it. So, jp I think you may be right. Enough juice to turn engine over, not enough to start.

Come on David, keep 'em straight!
CruisinTiger is Chuck, he likes to float down river clinging to a cooler.
img_4102-jpg.628998

ClemsonCruiser is JP, and he likes wrenching one-handed and barefoot.
SHAMOMwich6.jpg

I some how knew that someone was going to post up a pic about JP and I....thanks Rick!

Sort of like forest gump, when the sergeant asks forest and bubba whether they are brothers......

David have you verified you have spark and have you also verified you have fuel reaching the carb? I'd unhook the fuel line at the carb and turn the engine over a couple of times to make sure fuel is getting there. Once you have verified you have fuel and spark then you can pretty much conclude that you have a carb issue.

Let us know what you find and good luck :beer:

Looks like timing chain....more to come.

6-4-2013 255.JPG

Yep, after nearly 50 years, it might be time to rebuild anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom