Wanted Old school 3 speed top loader shifter - WA State (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ronthewebguy.com
I (4WheelingPlus.com) am helping (no charge) a local guy who is in the Military with getting his stock 1969 FJ40 running again.

He had major transmission and t-case failure.

fj40-3-speed-shattered-shifter.jpg

Out of my spare parts and some of his... I have put together what should be a decent transmission and t-case but I need the top loader 3 speed shifter and housing.

If you have a stock rear driveline for the 3 speed setup I could use that as well.

I have about 8-10 drivelines here that I have stock piled over the years, but none of them fit the rear of his FJ40. All the shafts that I thought were rears are about 1-2" too long. :confused:

I am VERY rusty on my FJ40 knowledge. It's been many years since I played with stock ones so please feel free to school me. :D

i have a freebie shifter for a military man.......just pay the shipping.

top cover, lever and knob.

georg @ valley hybrids

Usually the levers don't fail, just the covers.And if you don't need the lever, I can get a cover into a postal flat rate box.;)

Like Georg, I'm down for a freebie for a military guy.:)

If you're interested, please CALL me. PMs are a PITA.

Best

Mark A.

Thanks for the posts and PM's

We got the FJ40 moving on it's own again. We have to shift the tranny with a screw driver but at least we know it runs and drives.

I am still baffled as to why none of my stock FJ40 drivelines will fit the rear of this FJ40??? Everything appears to be installed correctly yet all the stock FJ40 drivelines are too long for the rear.

As for the shifter... the top-loader that was on it is in many pieces. We just tossed what pieces we could find into a pile of broken pieces. This FJ40 was stored outside for a while (before we got it) and the tranny was a rust bucket so we eneded up using another one.

I know we have the shifter... but I don't think any of the other pieces survived.

We had to move the FJ40 outside to make room for other projects... but when I get a chance I will take more pics so you guys can help me figure out what it's going to take to mount a top loader shifter and rear driveline again. THANKS!

Here is the part that broke off the top of the transmission:

fj40-top-loader-3speed-broken.jpg

I still have the guys shifter. Just need the part that the shifter attaches to and then attaches to the transmission. :D

I wish I would have known sooner, had some parts mudshipped to Moses Lake earlier this week... and have a couple of housings/plates as well. I'll be heading to the Yakima by way of I-90 probably in a week if still needed?

btw: I think we've met before, my name is Aaron... my fam has the furniture store in Eburg... be nice to chat again

pm me the ship-to info andi'll get it sent out today.:)

BIG THANKS to you IH8MUD guys!

It's not as easy today as it was 10-15 years ago to fix these FJ40's but we got it done and he is very happy!

fj40-dan-military-tranny-tcase-swap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom