Old pump - new Diesel fuels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi , first of all I m by NO means an Export of Diesel pumps and of Diesel fuels.
I have a Toyota 78, with 1-HD-T engine.
Lately I have some problems on my pump , that will be addressed.
This push ed me to read a bit and my selfish conclusions are :
This pump was engineerd in the 80 , maybe some update in 90 .
At that time the Diesel fuels contained sulfur parts that were good for lubrication , But bad for pollution.
Today that we use "clean" Diesel fuels that have none OR small parts of sulfur in IT, what is happening to the pump,lubrication?
Even worst with winter Diesel .

I would LIKE to have opinions on this subject .

Bye Renago

You should be using an additive with every tank to add lubricity to the fuel, as the injection pump does rely on fuel for lubrication. I use Power Service in the white jug, but I've heard bio-diesel is really good for this as well.

In Canada regulations require that ULSD have the same lubricity as diesel with sulfur used to have. By regulation a minimum of 2% biodiesel is added to all diesel fuel to provide the required lubricity.

You should be using an additive with every tank to add lubricity to the fuel, as the injection pump does rely on fuel for lubrication. I use Power Service in the white jug, but I've heard bio-diesel is really good for this as well.

I don't know if it's canadian wide but here in BC there needs to be 5% Bio in the diesel, some say it's good enough for lubrication and other say it is not. I add some Stanadyne lubricity to every tank on the recommendation of some diesel techs

I have no need for "winter diesel" because it is not that cold here.

But I run "ultra-low-sulphur diesel" from the pump without bothering to put in any lubrication-additives myself.

(My BJ40 has a 1979 inline IP)

:beer:

No winter diesel here either (South Australia).. I add 300mls of two stroke oil in every tank.

I don't know if it's canadian wide but here in BC there needs to be 5% Bio in the diesel, some say it's good enough for lubrication and other say it is not. I add some Stanadyne lubricity to every tank on the recommendation of some diesel techs

Diesel Fuel Lubricity Tests
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel.

So in reading that us Canadians should not be adding anything since we already have 5% bio mixed in at the plant?

I never add anything and never have problems. When sulphur was removed it was replaced with other types of lubricants at the refinery. The notion that you need additives is greatly over played to the benefit of the magic potion wizards.
There are large prime movers all over the world that do 2 million+ miles in their life and most have never seen additives ,just regular maintenance.
The fuel pumps on these diesels are incredibly expensive but the owners are not seeing problems from low sulphur diesel.

Very interesting !
I sonderà how is our Diesel here in Europe ???
Bet is extra LOW sulfur , with no bio diesel inside.

Bye Renago

Looks like the stuff I'm using is #10 on that list, so there's definitely better out there. Paired with our apparently 2% biodiesel fuel (I was under the impression only Husky/Mohawk did this, but you learn new things all the time), I should be in pretty good shape.

Looks like there is a source for Opti Lube products in the city, might have to try a jug of that out and see if there's any difference.

Last edited:
I've heard you have to open up your wallet for that opti lube stuff thou

Very interesting...

I use the Stanadyne at every fill up since my fellow 80 buddy convinced me it's a must on these vehicles. Looks like there are better options even though it's expensive as it is!

That being said, I wonder how much in reality we are extending the lives of our pumps by doing this...

I have no need for "winter diesel" because it is not that cold here.

But I run "ultra-low-sulphur diesel" from the pump without bothering to put in any lubrication-additives myself.

(My BJ40 has a 1979 inline IP)

:beer:

I've made my own "winter" diesel before when I was caught heading into winter with a tank of summer diesel. I added about 5 litres of petrol.
It worked.

BTW Renago, Sulphur was not a lubricant in any way. It is a pollutant that forms suphuric acid when the combustion products get wet.

But the process to remove sulphur lowers the lubricity of the fuel. The fuel companies have to add their own additives to meet fuel lubrication specifications.

Summary: There is no problem with ULSD and never has been. But the snake-oil market loves to scare people into thinking there is.

Inline pumps dont use the fuel for lubrication either so no problems there.
Rotary pumps haven't been having special problems on ulsd either.

Ive run Howes fuel additive in the winter, but that was primarily to improve my fuel economy on winter diesel, which is often pitiful because of short start-and-stop city driving.

Ive been running blends of diesel, gasoline and used veggie oil up to 100% which, according to the the oilpirate community, is one of the best lubricity additives (so long as the oil is dry and clean!).

I have noticed improved mileage with the howes in winter diesel. And similar mileage on the blends.

I'm still trying to get accurate mileage numbers on my 100% uvo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom