Old Mt Lemmon Rd Status (March 2021) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know the status of the Old Mt. Lemmon Road from Oracle to Mt. Lemmon? I was thinking about making a trip up but I know there are multiple gate passages from the turn off to the top. The FS website shows it is still closed.

Last I herd it was open to the Oracle Ridge mine and a locked gate (usual winter snow closure).

Last I herd it was open to the Oracle Ridge mine and a locked gate (usual winter snow closure).
Thanks for the info! Curious, how long ago did you hear that? Usually the road opens around March 15th, but with recent snow, I am assuming it has been delayed.

That was about what? 2 weeks ago? But your right, they got several inches with these last 2 storms.
I miss the "Good 'Ol Days" when it was open year round and people had common sense.

Still haven't had the time to go look at the burn scar, but on the list to check it out.

And the guy in charge of opening those gates is TDY Albuquerque. Not sure the new guy knows the drill but I’ll try to check with him tomorrow.

And the guy in charge of opening those gates is TDY Albuquerque. Not sure the new guy knows the drill but I’ll try to check with him tomorrow.
Man that is awesome! Thanks for the effort!

I miss the "Good 'Ol Days" when it was open year round and people had common sense.

This year it will be fifty years I been driving around in Coconino National Forest. I missed the days when we actually had winters and forest remained open year round. Nothing like running around on forest service roads with foot of fresh snow. But the lack of common sense ruined that. Spring time some yahoo with a truck with light bed would drive on the muddy roads sliding side to side. Summer came and the deep ruts dried. The track was always wider than my FJ40. Never an issue of getting stuck, just took fun out of being in the forest. Sometimes would see a Forest Service grader leveling out the ruts but been at least fifteen year FS budget started being cut. Than all the wild fires no money left much of anything including maintaining anything be all weather roads.

My contact on the Santa Catalina Ranger District says: typically we open them on March 1st but given the recent storm systems we have left them closed.

If/when I do hear that this changes, I'll re-post.

And, more snow as I type, so might be a couple of weeks...

Well I can confirm the road is open all the way through. Did the route Monday, drove from the peak to Oracle. Zero road issues, and barely had any moisture on the road. Well graded, a bit rough with the rocky terrain (I do recommend airing down). Took about 2 hours from point to point. This is a link to my Gaia log.

Well I can confirm the road is open all the way through. Did the route Monday, drove from the peak to Oracle. Zero road issues, and barely had any moisture on the road. Well graded, a bit rough with the rocky terrain (I do recommend airing down). Took about 2 hours from point to point. This is a link to my Gaia log.

:cheers: Thanks for the info!

Thanks for posting this up, looks like a very scenic area👍

i am hitting this one up tomorrow with a buddy from work and our kids. (not going to mention what he drives) I am excited to be doing this trail now, pictures to follow

Photo dump time

20210424_100830.jpg

20210424_104822.jpg
20210424_105002.jpg
20210424_112118.jpg
IMG_20210424_160713_063.jpg

Started from the bottom up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom