Old man emu springs sagged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I’d like to get your opinion on this.
A couple of months ago I got a new set of OME863 springs in the rear of my HDJ80.
Untill now they have been fine, they were the perfect height and not too hard.
Now I have towed my trailer (1500kg/3300lbs total on a 2 axle trailer) 3 times this week wich I normally don’t do and now the springs have noticabely sagged and they do not return to the height they were.
Probably these 863 springs are to light duty for my application as I know OME springs have the tendency to sag alot over the first months.
What would you do? Don’t bother and get 1 inch spacers hoping they won’t sag further, or replace with OME863J or 864?

Cheers

I had the opposite experience with OME 863 sag :meh:

It's been my experience that quality coil springs will only sag/collapse/loose a lot of free height after repeated compression cycles. I've seen coil springs used in punch dies that have been run through 100's of thousands of compression cycles before they broke/collapsed/ lost tension or free height.

So if your OME springs are in deed new, I'd be climbing underneath your truck looking for another cause of your sagging. Maybe you've got some broken suspension hard parts, brackets, or spring perches, or some rubber control/body bushings that may of failed.

Hmm... Everything bush in my 80’s suspension is new, everything is straight .

Per the OME spring chart i found on Slee's web site, it lists the free height of the 863A spring as 480MM, and the 863B spring as 490MM. Since it's not that hard to remove the rear springs, I'd remove them and measure their free height to compare your used one's to the specs list above.

I can't imagine after only a few months of use that your springs would be more then a few MM shorter in free height than new springs. Now if you do find a substantial difference, I'd be contacting OME and asking them questions as to why your new springs have sagged so much in height.

Now after a couple of days driving and with a FULL gas tank (compared to a pretty empty gas tank whilst towing last week) the rear has come up 20mm again,very strange. Maybe these springs are just too light duty for me.
I have got a set of used 864 springs for a good price and I will try those out.
I also have some 2422 springs on the shelf but these are just too firm and high for what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom