Old Man Emu Rear Adjustment - Lower / Level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this might be a common inquiry that I've been having some trouble finding information on...I have a 96 80-Series that has the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger 2.5" lift kit and the rear is significantly higher than the front. Outside of putting spacers on the front to raise and level the vehicle, is there a way to adjust the rear shocks to lower it slightly to reduce the height difference?

Thank you and any links to other threads that have insights would be greatly appreciated!

Their lifts (and others) are designed to achieve advertised numbers after adding the designated load, most of which is toward the rear, and OME kits are also known for that “stinkbug” stance. For example, I have their 3.5” J kit (863J rear, 850J front). Unloaded, the rear is an inch more than that, while the front actually seems low. I have a 2” front spacer in order to be level, without any load (confirmed with tape measure). My truck came with this lift & I’d like to lower it a bit, but that’s a different story. Many people “mix” OME springs for this reason. Ex: for a 2.5” heavy-load lift, you might go 850J front & 863 (non-J) rear, due to the rake. Even that may still have a rake on a stock 80.

There’s tons of info on this forum (check the FAQ & there are specific OME threads), and I also highly suggest doing your searching via google - keep the terms simple and add “ih8mud” - the search function on the forum isn’t always great, and I’ve had much better results doing it this way. Keep in mind to check the “see more results from [website]” drop-down option on a google search, if it’s there. I often expand those results to find my answer.

I’m certainly not a suspension expert, but your shocks aren’t going to do it. Without adding enough load in the rear, or changing rear springs, the only way you’ll get level is a front spacer. If you’re cool with the rear height, adding a front spacer is no big deal. If you’d prefer to drop the rear, you’ll need different springs. The job is not very different overall.

Which springs exactly, and what is your truck’s setup? Stock, additional cargo, bumpers, etc.

Along with spring #s, can you give us current measurements? Center of the axle hubs to underside of fender flares.

Last edited:
... is there a way to adjust the rear shocks to lower it slightly to reduce the height difference?
In short, no. The shocks only control motion. They do not support weight.

If you don't regularly carry additional weight in the rear with that lift, determine the diff in height between the front and rear and split the difference.
Install spacers equal in height to the difference.
Ex. 1.5" diff between front and rear height. Install .75" spacers up front.

I hate stinkbug.

Custom Image 10082019213635.jpg

850 front and 863 rear is what most people are happy with for a level stance in the 2-3” lift.

Front bar, winch, diesel engine, ect you may want an 850J up front.

That is just basic cookie cutter, works though for most folks. I run it on my 80 which has front/rear bars and sliders. Cloth interior though with only front seats. Empty I got 2* or so of rake which is not stink buggy. Loaded for a trip (I don’t take the whole house) and the Cruiser sits level.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom