Old Man Emu Installation Video - 1979 FJ40

Visit site
Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows how to replace an OEM suspension on a 1979 FJ40 (or comparable year) with an Old Man Emu Light / Medium duty suspension system (to include springs, shocks, greasable shackles, steering damper, etc.) I have seen some that were either sped up or part of a body off restoration, but nothing that showed everything from dismantling the old suspension and installing the new one.

Also, has anyone out there done this before and is it something I could do in my garage? I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined, however, I certainly don't have a garage full of automotive tools, jacks, lifts, etc. that would make this install easier. Let me know. Thanks!

samatulich

SILVER Star
Visit site
Plenty of guys have done this. Pretty straightforward honestly. I did mine over two days. Started with the rear the first day and completed the front the second. I used jack stands and floor jack to take the weight of the vehicle off the springs. I used the 1/2” impact gun to remove the ubolt nuts or angle grinder if cutting the bolts off.
i hung the fixed end of the spring first, then the shackle end. Had to use the floor jack to push up on the spring to get it to flex and line up the pin on the axle housing.
You can do this in your garage. I’d just make sure the area around the truck is clear.
Sorry, no video recommendations.

Visit site
Plenty of guys have done this. Pretty straightforward honestly. I did mine over two days. Started with the rear the first day and completed the front the second. I used jack stands and floor jack to take the weight of the vehicle off the springs. I used the 1/2” impact gun to remove the ubolt nuts or angle grinder if cutting the bolts off.
i hung the fixed end of the spring first, then the shackle end. Had to use the floor jack to push up on the spring to get it to flex and line up the pin on the axle housing.
You can do this in your garage. I’d just make sure the area around the truck is clear.
Sorry, no video recommendations.
Thank you! Great advice! Do you need to install the suspension in that order or does it matter?

Visit site
Keep this in mind when installing your springs: Arrows point to the fixed pin on the frame and NOT toward the front. Check the fit of the pin to the axle perch hole, if the pin is smaller than the hole then a bushing is needed to keep the housing in the proper alignment. Double check the length of the fixed pin mounting bolts as they may hit the eye of the OME springs and will need to be shortened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom