OLD gm steering column or adapt an OEM steering column to already installed saginaw pump setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
all,

this fJ40 came with a saginaw pump, steering box, and a GM steering column. No idea where the OEM steering column or wheel are at. I have the parts to rebuild the GM column and I do like the turn signal and tilt column aspect. but I was also thinking that since I now will be able to most of the knobs, ignitions switch, and other OEM switches in the correct location adapting an original steering column and steering wheel would make it look really nice. but I would have power steering under the hood. I saw a nice setup on one of the guys' FJs on FB where he did just that using Flaming River components.

If anyone knows where there maybe an original steering column and wheel in good shape I may be interested.

thoughts?

Fj60 collum works well, some fab required but it moves all the dash switchs to the collum.. or flaming river gm copy, there are a few knockoff aftermarket collums but quality varies alot...

I have a 70 Cadillac column in my 70 FJ40.
Had to make a plate for the floor board but the rest was not that hard.
The housing around the shaft rubbed against the brake peddle so had to massage it down about a quarter inch.
I wound up driving my Toy on fairly long hauls so the tilt and power steering made driving less tiring.

I would make the call based on the seats. If you’re running stock seats (they don’t have a lot of bolster) then a stock column is fine. If you want to put in something more modern, which likely will have more bolster, your not going to have a lot of leg room with the stock school bus steering wheel designed for manual steering.

And if you elect to change the wheel, half the reason for using the stock column is gone.

Wiring the turn signals is the other half.

Here is my latest install a 82 60 set up bottom plate was easy to use, there was some modifications.
FECF56E5-75D5-4144-8642-70C152C2702E.jpeg

I can see your points. I think the gm column will work fine. I am going to use the stock seats. Its a tough call, but the GM column does go in but just looks crappy the way it clamps to the bottom of the instrument panel, but is totally workable. I also noted that when the GM column exits the fire wall it does so fairly high putting the rag joint and steering rod to the steering box pretty high and close to the alternator and frame. Whereas, the stock column extends further down lowering the angle and perhaps adding more clearance between the frame and steering rod and alternator and steering rod.

Check out the links on the old tech page. I think you'll find your answers there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom