1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old gas

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cwb, Dec 24, 2003.

1. cwb

cwb

Long story, but my 60 has been sitting for more than a year, and I'm finally getting around to getting it back together. The gas tank is about half full. Can I use it or should I drain it and start with fresh?

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

Best to use fresh. Save the old stuff for the next bonfire party at the dunes. That will make everyone step back a bit.

3. drohweder

drohweder

Should have used Sta-bil. Don't know what it is but I was up in the middle on the night and heard about it on talk radio:) Merry Christmas

4. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

Lol, I was burning corn stalks out of the garden a few years ago and thought I'd expedite the process with some old gas. I made about a 50' trail of gas leading up to the pile then dumped about a gallon right in the middle. Stood back, lit a match and watch the flames dance. Pretty cool until it hit the pile. Looked like a nuclear bomb going off. There were flaming corn stalks flying every which way. One hell of an boom.
    I learned my lesson.

5. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm jumping on the bonfire wagon as well.

6. geocrasher

geocrasher

I'm in the same boat, but its more like 3 years. I think I'm going to try to drain whatever water is in the tank out. Problem is, I don't know what to do with whatever fuel that I drain! I refuse to store it, I will not just dump it illegally, and I have nowhere to burn it off.

7. theo

theo

My town holds an annual waste collection day. Good way to get rid of old gas, used solvent, oil-based paints, etc.

I use fuel stabilizer on my motorcycles. Should do it to the lawnmowers and snow plow too but I never have.

You could add an octane booster to a tank of old gas and use it like normal. That's basically like adding back the more volatile components (I think). The harm though is usually the varnish that old gas forms in your carb, injectors, pump, filter, lines . . .

8. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=9177;start=msg79875#msg79875 date=1072255294]
    Best to use fresh. Save the old stuff for the next bonfire party at the dunes. That will make everyone step back a bit.
    [/quote]
    Lol I had a dipshit friend of mine hold a gas can over a campfire and start pouring. :slap:
    I now have a half melted brown gas can, a crispy pair of cartharts, and a buddy that won't ever pour gas in anything but a gas tank again. :D

9. hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9177;start=msg80203#msg80203 date=1072318623]
    Lol I had a dips#!t friend of mine hold a gas can over a campfire and start pouring. :slap:
    I now have a half melted brown gas can, a crispy pair of cartharts, and a buddy that won't ever pour gas in anything but a gas tank again. :D
    [/quote]

Famous last words of a redneck:

"Hey fellers! Watch this ..."

10. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Followed by:

"Hey, I can do that"

11. Plowboy

Plowboy

Followed by:

Oh sh-----t!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I would not use it for anything other than starting a fire, but that is me.

13. Dianna

Dianna

Media:
    Albums:
    My turn! :D

What time does your husband come home?

I think it's dead.

It's Only a little one.

It's not loaded.

Does this go any faster?

Are you sure the power is off?

Don't be so superstitious.

Double dare me!

Help!

He's probably just hibernating.

Hey, watch this!

I can make this light before it changes.

I do.

I'll get a world record for this.

I'm making a citizen's arrest.

It's probably just a rash.

I've seen this done on TV.

I wonder where the mother bear is.

That's odd.

That stuff only happens in the movies.

The odds of that happening have to be a million to one.

These are the good kind of mushrooms.

This doesn't taste right.

Well, we've made it this far.

What does this button do?

What duck?

It's not that deep.

The water will break my fall.

No Tony I don't have your money.

I wont tell anyone.

Bikers suck.

This is good shi...

I built it myself.

I don't need a helmet.

14. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Dianna - You have a great sense of humor. First the valve Job and now this. You know how to liven up the board! This is meant as a compliment, keep it coming.

15. Jman

Jman

[quote author=fjcruiser link=board=1;threadid=9177;start=msg79974#msg79974 date=1072285705]
    Lol, I was burning corn stalks out of the garden a few years ago and thought I'd expedite the process with some old gas. I made about a 50' trail of gas leading up to the pile then dumped about a gallon right in the middle. Stood back, lit a match and watch the flames dance. Pretty cool until it hit the pile. Looked like a nuclear bomb going off. There were flaming corn stalks flying every which way. One hell of an boom.
    I learned my lesson.
    [/quote]

Ever try to start a wet pile of campfire wood with white fuel? (The stuff used for lanterns and cookstoves?) Well, let's just say don't try this at home, kids. Whoooompf! (IIRC, the "Daisycutter" used in Afghanistan was a fuel/air explosive device--I can imgagine how it works.)

Dianna--heh heh, those are good. "Hey, watch this!" is my fave (especially if someone is holding the Jim Beam for you . . . ).

16. Dianna

Dianna

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=9177;start=msg80664#msg80664 date=1072481275]
    Dianna - You have a great sense of humor. First the valve Job and now this. You know how to liven up the board! This is meant as a compliment, keep it coming.
    [/quote]

Thanks Romer. I wish i lived out west so i could meet some of you guys in person. A land cruiser is a rare sight around here! My cruiser looks just like the one in your avatar, same color, same year! (you better flip over your bezel though before the bezel police on the board catch it!) Mine is upside down too, haven't had a chance to flip it over with this horrible Ohio weather! I'm just glad I haven't taken a bunch of pics with it upside down!

17. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Gawd, Dianna, I was just about to mention his bezel. You are now fully deputized.

18. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Dianna-You don't like my Bezel? I thought it looked better with the thick side on the bottom. Since you said yours is also upside down, maybe we could start a trend?

How about it Dave?

19. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

You may be able to find a local shop that will recycle the gas for you.

20. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The original bezel had "Land Cruiser" stamped into the thick part, so the print would be upside down if you have the thick part bottom. Also, there is supposed to be a "Land Cruiser" bolted onto the grill. If the thick part is on the bottom, then that "Land Cruiser" is not centered up and down. And you look goofy. I think the bezel is the most recognizable and striking symbol of the FJ40, so it should be "right", in my mind. I certainly wouldn't buy a shirt with the bezel on upside down. But, to each his own!