old gas

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ScarboDP, Jun 7, 2003.

1. ScarboDP

ScarboDP

I have an aftermarket rear gas tank there has been gas in the tank for several months don't ask me why? so what should i do i don't think i should try to run it on that gas ... or is it ok? what should i do so i can use the tank again, drain it obviously, but does it need cleaning or anythign like that?

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

a buddy of mine just bought a cruiser that had been sitting for almost a year with a full tank. he put a new fuel filter in (just buy any filter that will connect to your hoses, don't buy some expensive filter to do the same job) and ran the tank out. after a couple of tanks since then (only had it 4 weeks) he has already had to change the filter, and i warned him to keep changing them until he gets a clean one.

generally, anything to big to get sucked in won't be a bother. the filter will do the rest.

now when i bought a used gas tank for my 40, i poured a gallon of gas in and had someone help me slosh it around then dump it out. and again and again i did this until i was pleased.

check to make sure the tank isn't rusted through, or about the rusted through. after all of that cleaning i ended up having to throw it away because it sprung a leak right after i had installed it.

hope this helps.

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

If it were me I would probably either get one of those kits mentioned in a earlier jerry can thread that cleans out the inside and then coats it, or take it to a radiator shop and have them boil/coat it. (search for "gerry can" if you want to find the old thread)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.